It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" planetary alignments " do NOT casuse earthquakes & the science why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
in thread after thread the old canard " planetary allignments " cause earthquakes is hoisted .

it is an utterly absurd proposition - which has been demonstrated to be false by every previous planetary alignment

the most famous example being 5th may 2000 when mr R Noone siezed his 15min of " fame " with a book that made outlandish fearmongering " predictions " - none of which came to pass

planetrary alignment is something that looks cool - because you can draw a straight line - but it has no science behind it , only a pretty diagram

the science is quite simple - we know the mass and distance of all planets in our solar system

so using the formula

we can calculate the gravitational effect of a given body

here is a table :

Sun: Mass=332,950, Distance=1
Moon: Mass=0.01, Distance=0.002 (i.e. roughly 1/200th as much g as sun)
Jupiter: Mass=318, Distance=4 (i.e. roughly 1/16,000th as much g as Sun)
Venus: Mass=0.8, Distance=0.25 (i.e roughly 1/28,000th as much g as sun)
Saturn: Mass=95, Distance=8 (i.e. roughly 1/192,000 as much g as sun)
Mars: Mass=.1, Distance= (i.e roughly 1/300,000th as much g as sun)
Uranus: Mass=15, Distance=17 (i.e. roughly 1/540,000 as much g as sun)
Mercury: Mass=0.06, Distance=0.5 (i.e. roughly 1/1,200,000 as much g as sun)
Neptune: Mass=17, Distance=30 (i.e. roughly 1/2,000,000 as much g as sun)
Pluto: Mass=0.002, Distance=30 (i.e. roughly 1/16,000,000,000 as much g as sun)

we know the precise effect of alignments of the sun earth and moon - as they are manifest in the tidal ranges measured during spring and neap tides

this observation also closes the argument - as we know that these tides will occur - and they can be predicted in advance with tables or tide calculators - but no correlation has been charted beytween spring / neap tides and earthquake activity

thus - if a gravitational force of 1 [ the sun ] +/- 1/200th [ the moon ] causes observed tides but no corresponding seasonal earthquakes . then adding =/- all the rest of the planets gravitational effects will make no difference what so ever

PS - this is calculated from classic newtonian gravitational theories , any one wishing to bring up the " electric universe " claim should note that they need to explain why the other planets " electric feilds " are not proportionate to thier mass [ as is demonstrably the case in the sun earth moon system , or why therse " electric feilds " do not follow the inverse sqare `rule `

as unless you can show evidence of either of these two propositions - and " electric universe " will behave identically to a newtonian one

over to you folks

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
without going into all the scientific technical details as you have.. for which i have to credit your effort..
i just simply say to myself this.. we have had planetary alignments for millions of years now.. and if it did have an effect, civilization would have never grown as it has.. and more obviously im sure someone would have noticed it long before 2011..

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
the most famous example being 5th may 2000 when mr R Noone siezed his 15min of " fame " with a book that made outlandish fearmongering " predictions " - none of which came to pass

I also recall an earlier one - "The Jupiter Effect", 1974, when John Gribbin siezed his 15min of " fame " with a book that made outlandish fearmongering " predictions " - none of which came to pass

Every year or two there's a new one, every year or two nothing happens. I've been hearing them all my life.
Doesnt stop the believers, though.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Tbh, I always thought it would have some effect but definatly not life threatening...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
From New York Times 1981 could be 1983 (not clear)

yowusa.com...

Also an interesting article here:

earthchanges.ning.com...

Don't like the friend of a friend statement - but certainly explains a lot from a Geologist working for USGS.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

There could be unknown forces at work also
good effort but this scientific information really proves nothing
except the forces of gravity

edit on 14-5-2011 by paradiselost333 because: clarity

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

yes - there COULD be " unknown forces " at work , few rational people deny this

but that does not explain why there is zero evidence of earthquakes being precipitated by planetary alighnment

thus any " unknown forces " [ should they even exist ] generated by planetary alignment do not cause earthquakes

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

hey thanks - i was under the illusion that noone was the first major scaremongerer

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Shouldn't you compare the 3rd planet's gravity to the Moon, and not the Sun? His data include mostly the Sun and Earth, which means that the variable "resonator" is the Moon vs the 3rd planet.

top topics

join