It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How bad can it get? Latest news about the radiation catastrophe as of Sat. 5/14/2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Following the news about radiation is getting to be really painful, but I feel the need to be aware of developments for the sake of loved ones to do what I can. With those thoughts in mind, I share it now with fellow ATS members. theintelhub.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The radiation is bad, in japan. It shouldn't get much worse as the meltdowns have already happened. They have lied for 2 months about it, but the mega thread had been saying what TEPCO is now confirming months ago.

As long as we have no more explosions the radiation should not get much higher. Japan will be affected forever as Russia was with Chernobyl. But, hopefully the worst is behind us.

The radiation has had far to travel to get anywhere in else and the world and Japan has had very favorable winds to keep the majority of radiation out to sea. Now, if your talking about the effect on the ocean, no one knows, we are in uncharted water here. It will be a learning experience as no one was ever dumb enough to run tests like this all these events were never supposed to happen.

Pred...
edit on 14-5-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Thank you. I would like to believe that radiation levels are not increasing and spreading, but I have read too much about what is being hidden from the public to feel reassured. Please see the following link for instance as to why I am concerned - theintelhub.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I hope those radiation levels aren't true....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

I'm researching it now. From what I can discover, these are worst case scenarios, I am desperately hoping to find something that disputes it. If you can help find anything - it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShakaDoodle
reply to post by predator0187

Thank you. I would like to believe that radiation levels are not increasing and spreading, but I have read too much about what is being hidden from the public to feel reassured. Please see the following link for instance as to why I am concerned - theintelhub.com...

Of course radiation levels are getting worse, but that doesn't mean the reactors are spewing out more and more, it just means the long-lived isotopes are piling up making things more contaminated. I think the radiation levels are being held from the public because when people hear of radiation they instantly panic, it's one of those few things that insights pure fear. People were panicking from their ignorance on the subject and rather than educating people, as they should have done, they decided to hide it. That's the downfall of our society, they would rather hide than inform their people, I consider that government laziness.

I went through that link before and all of those maps are simulations and not actual forecasts. I had this discussion in another thread, but they seem to lose credibility with the fact that they map the shortest living isotopes as the highest concentrations, which well is backwards. Xe-133 has a half life of only 5 days, I-131 has a half life of only 8 days were as C-137 is around 30 years. The amount that those maps show of both the shorter lived isotopes discredits all their information, IMO, and it should be known that they were not even saying that was fact.

I'm just saying don't panic, stay informed, yes, but were are not getting high levels of radiation in the first place as that is why I think they stopped monitoring. I also think the US knew that the reactors have melted down and knew the worst of the radiation was over.

Pred...

edit on 14-5-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Of course radiation levels are getting worse, but that doesn't mean the reactors are spewing out more and more, it just means the long-lived isotopes are piling up making things more contaminated.
I'm not sure where you're getting this. That link has a slideshow explaining the data:

www.slideshare.net...

The slideshow says there have been "no measurable deposits of radiological material since March 19th" and that "radiation levels continue to decrease".

I went through that link before and all of those maps are simulations and not actual forecasts. I had this discussion in another thread, but they seem to lose credibility with the fact that they map the shortest living isotopes as the highest concentrations, which well is backwards. Xe-133 has a half life of only 5 days, I-131 has a half life of only 8 days were as C-137 is around 30 years.
Yes the link in the OP has more reliable data. The slides say the data is based on fixed wing and helicopter flights from April 6 to April 29th, not a forecast or a simulation but actual measurements. That link doesn't even show Xe-133, or I-131. The main measurements are ground level dose in uSv/hr, and C-137.

I have two concerns. The contamination of the ocean is ongoing. And I don't see any monitoring of how bad that is, though I read something about US Naval units increasing their distance from Japan.

Second, we see the nice round circles showing the evacuation zones, but the contamination isn't a nice round circle, it's a streak going northwest, so some people even outside the evacuation zone are affected, if they are within that streak. Arnie Gunderson's May 13 video talked about a school 50km away where the students were wearing masks and all the soil was being stripped out. And I'm wondering why the school is still open with levels that high?
edit on 14-5-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

join