It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why, I personally, think we are here.

page: 2
1
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
that's pretty deep! I like it




posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by You2Two2AreSpecial
 


I liked this post because it succinctly allowed a sense of your vision( ? )to come through. The others , for me, did not. Maybe not vision, maybe better called your thought. I could argue with itt of course but I have no reason. I understand that what you describe above is merely an approach to the ultimate. I have reached a very similar point of reference myself, but I don't recall when.

I find not one path but many along my way. Each step I take offers a possible continuance or a possible change of direction as I rest momentarily in a new perspective. Taking a next step I find aspects of my previous perspectives staying with me.

Oh, I remember now. About that sense of existence you described? I wrote a poem about it at the time. Called it "The Necessity of Forever"



posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
reply to post by You2Two2AreSpecial
 


I liked this post because it succinctly allowed a sense of your vision( ? )to come through. The others , for me, did not. Maybe not vision, maybe better called your thought. I could argue with itt of course but I have no reason. I understand that what you describe above is merely an approach to the ultimate. I have reached a very similar point of reference myself, but I don't recall when.

I find not one path but many along my way. Each step I take offers a possible continuance or a possible change of direction as I rest momentarily in a new perspective. Taking a next step I find aspects of my previous perspectives staying with me.

Oh, I remember now. About that sense of existence you described? I wrote a poem about it at the time. Called it "The Necessity of Forever"


What a great title to a poem, perhaps you can share it?



posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Your "why" suggests a specific effort being waged - to satisfy a need - that involves us as pivotal in some way or another. That suggestion requires the pre-effort existence of intent, and if not intent, then a primorial imperative that is being addressed. Nothing exists without a "why" attached to its existence, and since this is the case, then whatever it is that has the need (resulting in the intent) came into existence as a result of a need that its existence satisfied.

If you simply follow that logic path back far enough, you start to see why no one ever bothers to explain why their god exists. You also realize why folks invented an infinite and always god that they can drape their theories-of-everything over. Hell, most why-we-exist assertions lack the true necessity that provides a person with the motivation to go to the store for a pack of cigarettes. As if reality itself gets bored enough to have a hobby.

If humanity is anything of any significance, then the reason for its existence can't be something that's less urgent than a primordial imperative, and the only primordial imperative is survival. And if it is survival, then whose survival is in our hands? And yes, it could very well be our own survival, regardless of how unremarkable that may seem. Then again, maybe it's about something greater than us.
edit on 5/14/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
You might be interested in this short story by Asimov, The Last Question.
www.multivax.com...



posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by You2Two2AreSpecial
 


You2. It is somewhere out in the garage in a spiral notebook. I"ll try and find it tomorrow if you like.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
Your "why" suggests a specific effort being waged - to satisfy a need - that involves us as pivotal in some way or another. That suggestion requires the pre-effort existence of intent, and if not intent, then a primorial imperative that is being addressed. Nothing exists without a "why" attached to its existence, and since this is the case, then whatever it is that has the need (resulting in the intent) came into existence as a result of a need that its existence satisfied.

If you simply follow that logic path back far enough, you start to see why no one ever bothers to explain why their god exists. You also realize why folks invented an infinite and always god that they can drape their theories-of-everything over. Hell, most why-we-exist assertions lack the true necessity that provides a person with the motivation to go to the store for a pack of cigarettes. As if reality itself gets bored enough to have a hobby.

If humanity is anything of any significance, then the reason for its existence can't be something that's less urgent than a primordial imperative, and the only primordial imperative is survival. And if it is survival, then whose survival is in our hands? And yes, it could very well be our own survival, regardless of how unremarkable that may seem. Then again, maybe it's about something greater than us.
edit on 5/14/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)


I don't follow. But if it makes sense in your head, then good!


Yeah I do want to hear that poem if you got the time to fish it out



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I remember asking why and why and why, sometimes I would realise the "how", but the elusive "why" is never really answered.

I guess it probably turns out that the meaning of life actually is 42.
edit on 15-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
I remember asking why and why and why, sometimes I would realise the "how", but the elusive "why" is never really answered.

I guess it probably turns out that the meaning of life actually is 42.
edit on 15-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)


hm



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by You2Two2AreSpecial

Originally posted by NorEaster
Your "why" suggests a specific effort being waged - to satisfy a need - that involves us as pivotal in some way or another. That suggestion requires the pre-effort existence of intent, and if not intent, then a primorial imperative that is being addressed. Nothing exists without a "why" attached to its existence, and since this is the case, then whatever it is that has the need (resulting in the intent) came into existence as a result of a need that its existence satisfied.

If you simply follow that logic path back far enough, you start to see why no one ever bothers to explain why their god exists. You also realize why folks invented an infinite and always god that they can drape their theories-of-everything over. Hell, most why-we-exist assertions lack the true necessity that provides a person with the motivation to go to the store for a pack of cigarettes. As if reality itself gets bored enough to have a hobby.

If humanity is anything of any significance, then the reason for its existence can't be something that's less urgent than a primordial imperative, and the only primordial imperative is survival. And if it is survival, then whose survival is in our hands? And yes, it could very well be our own survival, regardless of how unremarkable that may seem. Then again, maybe it's about something greater than us.
edit on 5/14/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)


I don't follow. But if it makes sense in your head, then good!


Yeah I do want to hear that poem if you got the time to fish it out


Poem? What poem?

Now I'm the one that's not following.



posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by You2Two2AreSpecial

Originally posted by NorEaster
Your "why" suggests a specific effort being waged - to satisfy a need - that involves us as pivotal in some way or another. That suggestion requires the pre-effort existence of intent, and if not intent, then a primorial imperative that is being addressed. Nothing exists without a "why" attached to its existence, and since this is the case, then whatever it is that has the need (resulting in the intent) came into existence as a result of a need that its existence satisfied.

If you simply follow that logic path back far enough, you start to see why no one ever bothers to explain why their god exists. You also realize why folks invented an infinite and always god that they can drape their theories-of-everything over. Hell, most why-we-exist assertions lack the true necessity that provides a person with the motivation to go to the store for a pack of cigarettes. As if reality itself gets bored enough to have a hobby.

If humanity is anything of any significance, then the reason for its existence can't be something that's less urgent than a primordial imperative, and the only primordial imperative is survival. And if it is survival, then whose survival is in our hands? And yes, it could very well be our own survival, regardless of how unremarkable that may seem. Then again, maybe it's about something greater than us.
edit on 5/14/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)


I don't follow. But if it makes sense in your head, then good!


Yeah I do want to hear that poem if you got the time to fish it out


Poem? What poem?


sorry, that wasn't to you
Now I'm the one that's not following.




top topics



 
1
<< 1   >>

log in

join