It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anything such as an original thought or ideas anymore?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Mods, please move if this topic does not belong here.

I believe that throughout history and the billions of minds that have populated it, every conceivable idea has been thought of by someone. However it does take a brilliant mind, and most often money to bring them into fruition. Especially in today’s society. The Alexander Graham Bell vs. Nikola Tesla conflict comes to mind. One had the connections and funding, the other did not.

How often have we seen in the news (regardless of the medium) a story that was heralded as ground breaking or stunning proof of something, and we think to ourselves, “Duh! That’s just commen sense!” or “We have been doing that for years!” I find it commonplace.

Are our original ideas & thoughts ours alone?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think alot of it has to do with "mental laziness".Look at Hollywood- everything's a "remake" or derived from something else.Which is sad because I feel-despite all our faults- we are still an amazing species and capable of many amazing things-if we want to....

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I believe our thoughts are directly related to our understandings, and newer understandings are very small and are pretty much just filling in the details to the universe. Even if new understandings are revolutionary, I don't see new thoughts coming out at a pace like they have the past couple centuries, thought they will still trickle out. I think the only way to reach that point where ideas seemed to come out of the woodwork, you need to consider what idea's are coming from non-humans. Just a quick observation.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
Mods, please move if this topic does not belong here.

I believe that throughout history and the billions of minds that have populated it, every conceivable idea has been thought of by someone. However it does take a brilliant mind, and most often money to bring them into fruition. Especially in today’s society. The Alexander Graham Bell vs. Nikola Tesla conflict comes to mind. One had the connections and funding, the other did not.

How often have we seen in the news (regardless of the medium) a story that was heralded as ground breaking or stunning proof of something, and we think to ourselves, “Duh! That’s just commen sense!” or “We have been doing that for years!” I find it commonplace.

Are our original ideas & thoughts ours alone?

Nope, our thoughts belong to everyone.

Thus come 1.

All is one, and no matter how original(super original) they are, they do not belong to your ego.!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Chances are you are right, every thought that was truly original has likely come and gone. We notice the recycling of ideas more and more in this age where everything is recorded online/in the media. It isn't so much an increase in unoriginality or a decrease in originality as it is a realization that there's nothing new under the sun.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Thoughts through time overlap I presume...to an extent, the question is...given the time, and the resources we've had over there years...would we be at this stage again? Who know's...would it be the same as if a tornado swept through a scrap yard and re-assembled a plane? Throwing this into the debate but: How many times could have debilitating diseases been cured if we had not killed unborn babies, those thoughts/ideas could have overlapped?

There is a reason why you have thought processes and ideas, everyone has purpose.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm trying to set something up where ideas, thoughts can be combined and productive outcomes can be achieved.

S+F

Peace,

SoS

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I believe we have your own thoughts but there are always influences wich would make it not your thought, but your brain did have punch it out so you did have it and if it was your first time to have that thought then yes you would be to have an original thought because thought is only to the indiviual (unless they choose to share) so everybody has their first thought about something at some time.

even if you recive information you still have to process it to be come a thought.

well then you could believe everything is connected and the thought is what flows from atom to atom and all atoms recive the thought at the same time. or something like that.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Recycling can be a good thing. Just because something didn’t work in the past doesn’t mean it won’t work now with today’s tech. I think that we need to constantly look at failed projects and see where they went wrong. Revisiting something from the past and applying a different tact can sometimes be quite rewarding.

I am learning and practicing the old ways that I have read in the Firefox series as I see these types of knowledge rapidly disappearing. I am not always successful, but I’m learning. That’s the fun part.

Recycling entertainment is just blasé and shows no real motivation, other than for money. I will rarely see a remake unless many others have told me that it is ok and even then I am often disappointed.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Just an observation but many inventions were thought up simultaneously in opposite sides of the planet without any interaction.

I'm convinced that when I'm having a great run of ideas that I'm not alone in my thinking. I really feel like there is a stream of though that we can ll tap into. In fact every thought is something extraneous to us all. Our brain picks it up and may put it into motion - once activated it can cause an experience, then a concept and last of all an emotion.

The thought is not original, but every interpretation is specific to each individuals circumstance. Our ego tells us that we're responsible or something new but in any case we're only allowing ourselves to be open to a limited number of concepts.

In general we just conform to societies inferred background noise. We're building on the past...

That's how we are so easily controlled.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I have an original thought at least once a day.
I have too.If not,then I have too work overtime.
Thinking out of the box.
I troubleshoot problems,and ,well the people I work with
get in a rut and can't seem to find they're way out.

The thing is,people tend to think everything works according to the ways that they
have been taught.

It doesn't.

Things work according to the way things work.

Are ya following me?

There are alot of what if's.

Most people don't think that way.

Most people think this is how it is suppose to work.

Look at an object near you and think of all the possible ways it could be used.
Walk away,and imagine other ways.

Walk away and imagine what your brain can accomplish when free of what it has been taught.
Originality will surface and become a great accomplishment.
How do you think Leonardo Da Vinci accomplished so much?

Sorry,just some ramblings.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

No need to apoligize, I ramble all the time. Can't seem to turn it off.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Considering a brain alone (for simplicity, just forget for a moment about whether you believe consciousness has nonmaterial aspects) with its 100 billion or so nerve cells and 10,000 times that many connections, it is quite impossible all possible informational permutations have been realized in the short timespan the human race has existed.

The problem is making that machine doing something other than what it does habitually and instinctively. Few can achieve that.

-Non
edit on 14-5-2011 by TrypToNonymous because: Keep forgetting

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Thoughts are only about objects and in 3 ways: good, bad or neutral (moot). Objects are only shapes and those shapes are limited to spherical or a cube. Shapes and objects are limited on this planet, that is there is no portal out of which extraterrestrial objects manifest. If mankind made it into space eventually the human psyche would be exposed to new stimuli which allow the creation of original thoughts. Until then everything will just be a remix of already existing notions.

"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them."
— Charles Bukowski
edit on 14/5/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

No transistors WTF? Humans came from space but gravity and distance wins. They'll never go back home since they got that notion.

-Non
edit on 14-5-2011 by TrypToNonymous because: I always forget that part

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
There's nothing new under the sun, it's not what you do but how it's done.

2nd line.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The human brain doesn't create information, so much as it takes existing information and configures information clusters (bursts of Intellect) that are then employed to help the body survive and the Intellect (as a whole) develop. That residual information - stored in short and long term memory - is combined with new data that is streaming into the short term memory center. This new data flows in from all the sensory systems - eyes, ears, nose, mouth, nerve endings - and is vetted for consistency by the dynamic awareness capacity of the "mind" (the information/event trajectory that results from the constant generation of bursts of Intellect) as it "reaches back" to influence the brain's configuration process, and with it, it's own overall development. Eventually, this process sculpts the intellectual predetermination of the brain's immediate response to stimuli, and the "old dog - new tricks" thing digs in deeper and deeper for the individual.

New ideas can only come from external sources, and even then, they have to survive the mind's vetting process before they can become part of the intellectual slurry that can then be drawn upon for burst configurations by the brain. Even then, the new idea will only be part of the Intellect burst configuration, with the lion's share of that burst belonging to the same-old, same-old that's been knocking around the short and long term memory for who knows how long.

So, yes, there is nothing new coming out of anyone's brain. They can put a new spin of something, or rename something, or combine two disparate somethings (like blues and polka) to "invent" a new something, or they can lie and claim that what they've thought up is new, but the brain isn't really capable of anything new. It's job is to take what it knows will work, and apply it to the business of survival - both corporeal survival and the larger effort of identity survival. Inventing new and unthought-of things just isn't part of the function set that the human brain is blessed with.

That's probably why there aren't any songs written in semi-tones. Well, other than the fact that they'd probably sound like sh*t.

new topics

top topics

join