It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

chaffetz bill would require members of Congress to disclose delinquent taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I could see this passing the House but I do not think it would make it through the Senate.

. Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) this week introduced a bill that would force members of Congress to disclose any delinquent taxes liabilities they have, and even allow for the garnishment of their wages to pay off that liability. His bill, the Members of Congress Tax Accountability Act, would also require an ethics inquiry into any tax liability that is reported. "Lawmakers have an obvious obligation to the American people to lead by example, and should not enjoy a double standard when it comes to paying their taxes," Chaffetz said. "In fact, they should be held to an even higher standard because of the public trust placed in them. Not even Members of Congress are above the laws they write."

thehill.com...
It would be soooooooo nice to see them start taking some accountability. I figure we will hear some lame excuse from the Senate as to why this is unconstitutuional or unfair. They will most defiantly try to find a way to keep from voting on it (if it makes it that far).

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Ever wonder how they can get away with so much, when you would get nailed to the wall for the same activity?
They twist the laws to work in their favor.

The Speech or Debate Clause is a clause in the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 6, Clause 1) . The clause states that members of both Houses of Congress “
...shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony, and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their attendance at the Session of their Respective Houses, and in going to and from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place. ”
The intended purpose is to prevent a President or other officials of the executive branch from having members arrested on a pretext to prevent them from voting a certain way or otherwise taking actions with which the President might disagree. A similar clause in many state constitutions protects members of state legislatures in the United States. LegiZslators in non-U.S. jurisdictions may be protected by a similar doctrine of parliamentary immunity.

en.m.wikipedia.org...
They use this clause to get away with everything from spousal abuse to drunk driving.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

edit on 14-5-2011 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

join