It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Part of the deficit problem in the USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I know a guy, 22 years old, who until March 2011 was living with, as well as a dependent of, his parents. In March, after getting his girlfriend pregnant, he decided to make some huge strides to become independent.

Now, a little back-story. Since 2005, he has worked a part-time job (25 hours a week, averaging around 240$ per weekly paycheck). He had achieved a decent credit score by financing a new-ish car and playing by the rules (on-time payments, etc.).

So, in March, he applied for a home loan and was granted a $60,000 loan to buy a house. Now, there is nothing wrong with this at all. A lot of young people are granted home loans. After all, it's a common next step in "growing up" for a lot of people.

Shortly after receiving his loan, he placed a down-payment on a house. Around the same time, he also purchased another new-ish car (2007) on a credit card and adopted 2 dogs and a kitten. Now here's where it gets interesting. After acquiring all of those bills and other miscellaneous expenses (including an expected child), he realized that $240 a week just wouldn't cut it. Even with his girlfriend's income included, there was no way that they could make ends meet. So, he and his girlfriend went and applied for FOODSTAMPS and WELFARE. And the kicker? They were ACCEPTED!

What the #, America? I always thought that foodstamps and welfare were established to help the needy, NOT the people who take on too much at once and can't afford their bills.

So, ATS, I wonder how many American citizens are using the system in this way. Opinions?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by banandar123

Well, here is the deal.

One of the major Political Parties relies almost exclusively on dependency. Vote for them, keep them in power, and your sorry loser butt can keep getting taxpayer handouts.... I will let you guess which Party that is..... And The Government agencies that issue Welfare and Food stamps never get smaller and downsize. There must be MORE people using their services in order for them to increase headcount and promotions. The closest thing you will ever see to immortality in life is a Government Agency.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
What about the TARP funding problem? (toxic asset blahblah) and the fact it was summed up around 4 trillion and the government ended up giving 800billion in the largest bailout in congressional history to unnationalized banks, which means they pissed that away in personal bonuses and vacations because they didn't have to report what happened with the money.

I think that's a bigger problem, anyway...

(not to mention 800billion is like pissing on a bonfire to put it out)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

Well, here is the deal.

One of the major Political Parties relies almost exclusively on dependency. Vote for them, keep them in power, and your sorry loser butt can keep getting taxpayer handouts.... I will let you guess which Party that is..... And The Government agencies that issue Welfare and Food stamps never get smaller and downsize. There must be MORE people using their services in order for them to increase headcount and promotions. The closest thing you will ever see to immortality in life is a Government Agency.

Actually the government agencies that issue welfare ARE downsizing, at least here in Michigan. I good step I believe. Lots of college students with very wealthy parents who don't work and get food stamps.

michigan cracks down on college students food stamps

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Your friend huh...suuuure. Comon man your telling this story about yourself, stop being a deadbeat and get a real job.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Iconic

I know that there are way bigger problems contributing to the deficit. This is only a small part of it, but it still shows how easy the government can be manipulated/ripped off.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

lol I'm working and going to school. but I might try to get foodstamps if it's that easy.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

The way food prices keep rising we'll all be on food stamps soon. Thats the system why fight it when you can use it to your advantage.

new topics

top topics

join