It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive partner flips hot Jupiter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Massive partner flips hot Jupiter

physicsworld.com

Astronomers in the US believe they have discovered why a quarter of known "hot Jupiters" orbit their stars in reverse...

The team modelled a simple solar system with a Sun-like star orbited by a Jupiter-sized planet far from the star and a second large body (a planet or brown dwarf) even further away. When the model was run the gravitational interactions between the bodies began to change the orbit of the inner planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nature.com
io9.com
news.sciencemag.org

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I've always found it interesting how Jupiter moves the opposite direction and how this could have happened.

I don't mean to stir up the Nibiru/Elenin/PlanetX folks, but this article specifically states taht they modeled a far away brown dwarf changing the orbit of an inner planet.

It seems that this article was written in response to an article in Nature magazine (link provided at the bottom of the source article).

Doing some searches indicates that a flurry of other articles and blog posts were written in response, random example: io9.com...

Most of them seem to be using the same CGI image to illustrate:

physicsworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-5-2011 by Blazer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Oh lord, oh lord. GLP was right, Niburu is coming!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
I've always found it interesting how Jupiter moves the opposite direction and how this could have happened.

You've always been mistaken then.
There is nothing unusual about Jupiter's orbit, or rotation.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Okay, so say it is coming, although I doubt it.

How long before it has any direct impact on Earth? How far off is Jupiter? How many years would it take to travel there?

If it was true, I think someone would have seen it by now. I am more worried about HAARP. That thing is real and is happening right now!!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

I flagged it due to the sweet picture you included. Also this is a pretty interesting topic.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Blazer

You've always been mistaken then.
There is nothing unusual about Jupiter's orbit, or rotation.

Okay Alfa, although I am sceptical about the whole Niburu claim, why is Jupiter's orbit not unusual? It does orbit in the opposite direction.

link   
reply to post by Blazer

I think you may wish to re-read the main article again....and filter out any of the "blogs" that are screaming "Nibiru", if any of them are.....

Also, check many valid astronomy sources, before following and just believing any "doomsday" sites on the Webz....

link   
Flipped, like Uranus?!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
Okay, so say it is coming, although I doubt it.

How long before it has any direct impact on Earth? How far off is Jupiter? How many years would it take to travel there?

If it was true, I think someone would have seen it by now. I am more worried about HAARP. That thing is real and is happening right now!!

Heh, "direct impact."

Yeah, I too think a different star is coming. Jupiter was originally from this star?? I sort of missed the point here. I think others did as well?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

Neat article, you do understand the article is referring to "jupiter like" exoplanets, not our Jupiter?

Our Jupiter orbits the same direction as the other 8 planets in our solar system.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by You2Two2AreSpecial

Yeah, sorry I meant effect, not impact. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

I will follow you from now on, just waiting for you to slip up, lol.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

why is Jupiter's orbit not unusual? It does orbit in the opposite direction.

No, it does NOT orbit in the other direction.
Even your own source of this news article that you yourself linked to says the same...

This is unlike our solar system, where the planets
bend to the will of the Sun, with their orbits all following
its anticlockwise rotation.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

.....why is Jupiter's orbit not unusual? It does orbit in the opposite direction.

It isn't!!!

Here, this is for Comet Elenin, but zoom back and out, to see Jupiter and its orbit....and put the animation motion, fast-forward:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'm already having a mental breakdown, 'this helped a lot' now I want to drink.

Maybe the Mayans weren't too far off.....

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

edit on 5/13/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How can someone go through life thinking that Jupiter orbits in a different direction to the rest of the planets? That would be pretty common knowledge.

The only rotation anonamly in the solar system is Venus which is in a retrogade rotation as opposed to the counter-clockwise rotation of all other planets.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
im sorry but all this seems a bit occultic....

a bit like hitler and einstein pretending they know it all.....a common threat....outside force.....

I THINK THEY ARE GROOMING US......getting kinda long

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
The only rotation anonamly in the solar system is Venus.

And Uranus.
Tipped over on its side.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

reply to post by You2Two2AreSpecial

I will follow you from now on, just waiting for you to slip up, lol.

lmao

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join