It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man will be punished by dripping acid into his eyes in Tehran on Saturday May 14- Norway condemns

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745
This is not the first time this mentally ill country has dripped acid in someones eye, it has happened a few times before.

The only reason they have postponed it this time is because the rest of the world has noticed and people are justifiably shocked by this barbaric nonsense.

I dont care what anyone says, yes the guy deserves it but what would happen to the world if we were this literal about every crime? They should have just shot the bastard in the head, this, blinding carry-on is completley over the top and disgusting.

I'm ashamed to live on a planet where this kind of thing goes on and people applaud it.

The way Iran and men in general in the middle east treat women is disgusting and an affront to humanity, this whole thing perfectly illustrates what a sick society Iran really is.

I cant wait till we find an excuse to bomb the crap out of that sewer.

I was actually in agreement and about to star this post until I read that last line.

Bomb Iran? No, what we need to do is try to help the people who want a new regime and allow democracy and justice Western style to seep into their justice system.

Clearly this kind of punishment as well as hand amputation for theft is a relic of the types of thing purported millenia ago and mentioned even in holy texts of various religions but haven't we as a society moved on from the "yeah, let's bomb the hell out of some country" in recent years especially?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Bomb Iran? No, what we need to do is try to help the people who want a new regime and allow democracy and justice Western style to seep into their justice system.

Seriously?

Last time the US did that in Iran, the CIA put the Shah in power. The Iranian population took decades to oust him. I wonder what makes Americans think that they are popular in Iran? The answer must lay somewhere between lack of an unbiased education on history and the sheer amount of propaganda.

Those Iranian "protesters" that the Western media goes on about; they're all supported by the CIA. Just like the "revolutionaries" in Syria, just like the "rebels" in Libya. All CIA creations. They aren't natural, they are outside forces intruding into internal affairs of sovereign countries.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Omg I can't believe the before and after pictures of that poor girl. What kind of loser ruins someones life because they don't want to date them? Say what you want about Iran but i'm willing to bet the population thinks twice about stealing and comitting crimes. In cases such as this the punishment is a much better form of justice than what would of happened in the west. I think before or after the acid is poored in his eyes he should have his face beaten severly to match the damage done to her face as well. He can consider himself lucky for that.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia
reply to post by meathed

Fear is an emotion that helps you protect yourself and helps to remind you that you

don't have control over everything in your life (and never will)

Fear tempers impulse which protects you from danger

I agree with you again.
But fear is not a way to live a free life.
I agree that this person needs to be punished. But this is not the way. And this is why i feel this way.
I will tell you a story about myself before you judge me yet again.
I was 16yrs old, at a party and like alot of boys that age i got into a fight with an older bloke.
The fight was going for a few seconds, then the bloke i was fighting grabbed me by the head and then started to bite at my left ear. And in another second he had bit the lower third of my ear off.
I had the perfect bite mark out of my ear. ( They call me meathed
) I was taken to hospital and was sewn up after a long operation.
Now if we want to start talking about an eye for an eye, well lets talk about an ear for an ear.
So alot of people on ATS are willing to grab the eye drops of acidic vengeance and drop in this mans eye's.
BUT WHOM WILL BITE OFF MY ATTACKERS EAR FOR ME?
If we are talking about equal punishment, then one of you MUST bite this mans ear off to avenge me. You are willing to drop the drops, but, whom is willing to bite the ear??????? Any volunteers????
I will never bite anothers ear off, as i know how bad that felt for me. Vengeance isn't the answer, nore is fear.
I am stronger as i didnt choose vengeance.
I did things that night that i cant repeat on here, but i did them to defend myself. Im not proud of what i did, even to this day, even though i had every right to do what i did to protect myself that nite, i still dont feel right for doing it. I let the police handle it from there.
The man was charged and i was happy with the outcome.
It only took me and my mates less than a year before we started making jokes about me, and 18 years we still laugh about the night that the police and 5 of my mate's with torches were searching the the front yard of my house looking for my ear. I know its not the same as losing one's sight to acid, but it just shows you why i made my stance.
So i dont think an eye or an eye or a ear for an ear works for me.
But i do respect your stance on this matter too.

Peace to you mate

Meathed
edit on 17-5-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Wow sounds crazy but fair at the same time it wasn't right what he did to that woman.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

If you had no fear you would walk into a lions den, jump off high balconies and cliffs
drive recklessly, climb impossible obstacles, and take all manner of dangerous risks.
Its fear that tempers the risks one takes.

And as for the story you related in your post, you are comparing apples with oranges.
Firstly you 'got into a fight' - two or more people fired up adrenilin pumping doing what
testosterone filled youth do - a sort of macho Alpha male thing. You were both in it
together equally to blame.

What is being discussed on this thread is a young girl who didn't want to date a young
man (which she should have been free to do, her choice) no aggression, and the young
man IMPOSED HIS CONTROL over the situation by inflicting this cowardly, contemptable,
evil act upon her person

So a third of your ear was torn off, BUT it is now back in place and perhaps apart from some
scarring which fades through time you are back to normal, you can still hear? i take it your
hearing has not been impaired ? This young girl CANNOT SEE her loved ones - and as i
mentioned before if she ever has children she will NEVER SEE them - How would you
feel never to know what your children look like, see them smile, see them grow up see
their school sports and plays ?

And NO, why would the other person in your story have to have his ear (torn bitten or even
surgically removed) - you were BOTH EQUALLY RESPONSIBLE YOU WERE BOTH IN IT
TOGETHER !! unlike this girl who was just going about her life and, this low life inflicted
BLINDNESS and DISFIGUREMENT on her, and so here i don't think we are comparing
like for like............Do you??

DON'T DO THE CRIME IF YOU CAN'T DO THE TIME .

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by clay2 baraka

The Quaran is the Muslim holy book...................Ghandi was a Hindu

the post you're replying to in no way suggested that the ghandi quote could be found in the koran or the old testament. nor did it suggest that ghandi was a muslim. so... what was the point of your reply? the quote refutes your position on the man's punishment?

an eye for an eye makes the world go blind.

ghandi was smart. revenge and justice exist only in a person's mind. this blind lady feeling satisfaction at the blinding of her attacker does nothing to make the world a better place. this man's disfigurement will not make the world a better place.

how do we know that this man wouldn't have learned and grown from his mistake naturally? how do we know that he wouldn't have gone on to greatness? highly unlikely, I know. but the point is, we can't foresee the effects that something so harsh will have on the man and it does NOTHING to help the victim.

if seeing this happen makes her happy, or makes her life better, then she is a bad person. she should try to forgive, forget and move on. this will only force her to wallow in what happened even more.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Sounds like a brutal punishment.

It's hard to take a side considering what he did to incite this kind of consequence.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
What does the woman get to do over there if a guy rapes her?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

I cant see anywhere where i suggested that the 'quote' was from the Quaran

i merely pointed out Iran was mainly a muslim society and Ghandi not being a muslim

would in no way influence their views or ways of life.

I too think Ghandi was in many ways a wise man, but he also had some responsibility

for the blood shed in India prior to partition.

I couldn't care less about this man it is my view that he lost any entitlement to any concern,

sympathy or human rights the moment he EXACTED REVENGE on that women by

BLINDING and DISFIGURING her... For what ???? My sympathy is ENTIRELY with her

( something that is not mentioned once in your post)

That is my view and opinion to which i am fully entitled.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This is one the rare occasions when Sharia style punishment works. Before we get all liberal here, please remember the guy blinded her because she didn't want to marry a psycho. He responded by proving her right. I hope they let a few drops go down his main vein and sorts that out too. Absolution of its greatest.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dhimmie
This is one the rare occasions when Sharia style punishment works. Before we get all liberal here, please remember the guy blinded her because she didn't want to marry a psycho. He responded by proving her right. I hope they let a few drops go down his main vein and sorts that out too. Absolution of its greatest.

Works? It wasn't very effective at stopping him from doing it in the first place now was it?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

No in this case it didn't stop him from doing it, but he is going to be severely punished

for his crime and it will very likely deter any one else from doing anything similar.

In our society he would very likely get a slapped wrist at worst a light sentence of which he

would in all probability only serve less than half, then back on he street to terrorise someone

else

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I cant see anywhere where i suggested that the 'quote' was from the Quaran

i merely pointed out Iran was mainly a muslim society and Ghandi not being a muslim

would in no way influence their views or ways of life.

I too think Ghandi was in many ways a wise man, but he also had some responsibility

for the blood shed in India prior to partition.

I couldn't care less about this man it is my view that he lost any entitlement to any concern,

sympathy or human rights the moment he EXACTED REVENGE on that women by

BLINDING and DISFIGURING her... For what ???? My sympathy is ENTIRELY with her

( something that is not mentioned once in your post)

That is my view and opinion to which i am fully entitled.

still not sure why that invalidates the man's wisdom, but okay.

i have no sympathy for the victim beyond "man, that would suck." which is precisely why i'm against doing the same thing to the guy. I don't know jack about this scenario or how/why it happened beyond these fifth-hand media accounts.

blinding the man in return is only for revenge. it provides no "justice" for anyone outside of the incident and I'd bet that the woman's blindness will still suck after the man is stricken blind.

until we start to actually CARE about the criminal as much as the victim, we will perpetuate the cycle of violence. do we really think that this seemingly monstrous man will become a kind, effective member of society after he is blinded? oh right, we don't care. we just want to make the bad guys pay and to be able to stop thinking about problems.

when you hit your child, they usually stop doing whatever they were doing. they also usually end up doing it again or taking that rage and humiliation and channeling it into more "naughty" behavior. why can't the man's punishment be therapy? why don't we WANT to make HIM a better person? if the bad guys aren't our responsibility, then they will be left to their own devices, and usually that doesn't go well.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

reply to post by TheFlash

No in this case it didn't stop him from doing it, but he is going to be severely punished

for his crime and it will very likely deter any one else from doing anything similar.

In our society he would very likely get a slapped wrist at worst a light sentence of which he

would in all probability only serve less than half, then back on he street to terrorise someone

else

i'm sorry, but is men pouring acid on women's faces an especially prevalent problem in Iran? and what evidence do you have to suggest that this was anything but an isolated incident? i hate to keep sounding like i have sympathy for this man, because I truly do not. but if we as a society think that this punishment is anything but an emotional knee-jerk reaction to the severity of the crime, we're fooling ourselves. likewise, if we think that this man's punishment will stop any future violent men from abusing women, we're fooling ourselves. if i'm in the middle of an irrational, uncontrollable rage, the last thing i'm thinking of is how a judge would rule if my case went to court. violent punishment ONLY breeds more violence. whether it is the actual punished criminal, or just some kid who sees it as state approval of a violent lifestyle, public, violent punishment has ONLY negative effects on society. but it makes a tiny group of victims and their families feel better for a day or two, so who cares?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You stated 'until we start to actually CARE about the criminal as much as the victim'

Well as i am reading the thread it appears to me that many CARE MORE about the

criminal than the victim.

You say 'blinding the man is only for revenge it provides no "justice" for anyone outside

of the incident'.................IMO the only person who requires the "justice" is the victim

NOT you, or me, or anyone else.

I have brought up three childrenand helped with six grandchildren - They were only ever

smacked one sharp slap (not too hard ) before about the age of 3yrs and only for something

that could have been dangerous to themselves - after that punishments were geared to fit

the offence - and i never had any long term problems any thing like i seem to constantly

read about these days.

Therapy dosen't work when it is IMPOSED upon the miscreant, it only works when the person

themself seeks out that kind of help.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

"Quote" 'If i'm in the middle of an irrational, uncontrollable rage''............

It would seem to me that that wasnt the case because he did it to her after she had

rejected his advances. I mean did he have the acid with him just incase she rejected

him ?? OR did he go away and source the acid and coldly plan on when to use it

eg...A COLDLY CALCULATED REVENGE ATTACK THATS RESULTS WOULD STAY

WITH HER FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE .

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

An EYE FOR AN EYE.

What's there to figure out...

She was blinded by him, so she gets to blind him back...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I agree, think about it this way...if sex offenders had to be put through the same punishment for the crime they committed using a sodomy machine on them in prison while they were tied down and helpless (example)...and then left him there without medical treatment for the same amount of time his victim waited...

I BET WE WOULD HAVE FEWER CHILD MOLESTERS AND RAPISTS...!

All for and eye for an eye...

All you of you forgive and forget people do not understand that majority of the population will never function in your Startrek Next Generation fantasy world...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I am Iranian and she is lucky to be alive, Persian blood runs hot and things like this do happen more than it should or reported.

Good for her getting her revenge, I hope she feels some piece and can move on with her life after this. I saw the photos and since we only live one life on this planet I feel for her tremendously...

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join