It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A man will be punished by dripping acid into his eyes in Tehran on Saturday May 14- Norway condemns

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Take a minute and read the article ......past the first sentance. A woman spurned this guy, he threw acid in her eyes, blinded her, now by muslum law she can get an eye for an eye type retribution and cause him to be blinded. I don't know why I just did that.....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That's just barbaric. The man should be forced to come up with some money to alleviate the suffering of his victim. Another blind man only makes this world even worse and helps no one. If he can't come up with money then he should dig ditches - world needs a ditch digger anyway and state would ensure this woman's lifetime pension. At least that's what I think but what do I know.....

link   
reply to post by andrewh7

That is one of the main problems I have with the death penalty.... It makes the society seem pretty hypocritical.

link   
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind....

But at the same time I think is is a fair sentenance. Cruel and inhumane, yes, but fair. Not sayng I support this, just saying it seems pretty fair to me.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Spencer1989 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Spencer1989

How can it be fair, cruel, and inhumane at the same time?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i feel for that woman but

look who we are talking about here a country that considers women to be their property

the guy didnt get his way and did that to her.

what does that say about them and for those people who agree with the retribution?

And so when they make a move to actually punish a man for disfiguring a woman you think thats a step in the wrong direction?

It says to me that they are, in their own eye for an eye way, actually offering some justice to women for a change.

The west considered women property not so long ago too. And we changed. Change happens slowly sometimes, but I fail to see how this is a step in the wrong direction.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie

Originally posted by PaganArchangel

Originally posted by andrewh7

Originally posted by lostsock
Sure this is an awful way to work any legal system..but maybe just maybe somewhere in the world a person will remember that there are still courts out there that are willing to serve "just punishment" An eye for an eye. I really dont see a problem with a punishment of this sort.

The problem is that it demeans the society, government and the justice system that carries it out. The justice system becomes just as bad as the criminals. How can a government condemn a cruel and horrible act and then carry out the same act again themselves?

Sorry, I have to disagree.
If you don't do anything, these people WILL commit the crime AGAIN.
I'd rather not live in a World where these types are running about willi-nilly doing all sorts of awful things to people (or temporarily jailed so that they will eventually get out and do it again). Sometimes you MUST judge people, and I would much rather elimnate the Few to save the Many.

So you're saying it's their society and culture that is behind the veil, causing them to act this way? In that case, I agree and I believe that's true. So why would we ever want this kind of punishment in our "world"? We should strive to better our culture so that crimes like this never happens, and the answer is absolutely not crazy retributional justice such as this. That's alot harder, but in the long run it would be worth it, and it should be the way humanity evolves.

As long as there have been humans there has been crime - this is a fact.
I used to believe as you do that we can "fix" things so these types of situations do not happen again..but I have lived long enough to realize that it is not going to happen.
We can strive for perfection, but Human Nature will always be the wild card.
Even if the economic situation were perfect and there did not exist all of the "isms" and divisions that are pervasive in all societies (including ours), there would be those that would be incorrigible, uncontrollable and dangerous.
And they need to dealt with in a way where they do not harm others ever again.
There is crime and there will always be crime..unfortunately this is part of the human condition.
It would be nice if people would act right, but there will always be those who will not regardless of what you do for them.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Because he blinded her, and now she can blnd him. Both are cruel and inhumane actions but they are totally equal... An eye for an eye. That seems pretty fair to me.

A basic analogy was if you slashed my tires, mabe i mght slash your tires. That is not the RIGHT thing of me to do,but it wasnt right of you to do in the first place. Seems pretty fair and equal to me.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

How does it make it right? She will not get her sight back. You will not get your tire back. Makes far more sense for you to get money for a new tire. And for her to get money for surgery.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PaganArchangel

And getting rid of the nastiest members of a group WORKS. The only problem is that we dont use the top down method, and we make too many exceptions. We arent rehabilitating anyone in jails. We are making jailers rich. They get beat up in there, raped in there, brutalized by guards, each other, locked in solitary for years sometimes, and it costs us tons of money to keep them in there.

At some point we need to make good sound decisions based on facts, not fantasies, about human (and animal) nature.

www.nytimes.com...

In a study appearing today in the journal PloS Biology (online at www.plosbiology.org), researchers describe the drastic temperamental and tonal shift that occurred in a troop of 62 baboons when its most belligerent members vanished from the scene. The victims were all dominant adult males that had been strong and snarly enough to fight with a neighboring baboon troop over the spoils at a tourist lodge garbage dump, and were exposed there to meat tainted with bovine tuberculosis, which soon killed them. Left behind in the troop, designated the Forest Troop, were the 50 percent of males that had been too subordinate to try dump brawling, as well as all the females and their young. With that change in demographics came a cultural swing toward pacifism, a relaxing of the usually parlous baboon hierarchy, and a willingness to use affection and mutual grooming rather than threats, swipes and bites to foster a patriotic spirit.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and no where do I see that more clearly than in our approach to crime and criminals.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MrB0B

This is true, but that's because it adds suicidal criminals to the numbers. I can see where the pro-eye-for-an-eye people are coming from, death is the easy way out.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droogie

Originally posted by andrewh7

Originally posted by lostsock
Sure this is an awful way to work any legal system..but maybe just maybe somewhere in the world a person will remember that there are still courts out there that are willing to serve "just punishment" An eye for an eye. I really dont see a problem with a punishment of this sort.

The problem is that it demeans the society, government and the justice system that carries it out. The justice system becomes just as bad as the criminals. How can a government condemn a cruel and horrible act and then carry out the same act again themselves?

Sorry, I have to disagree.
If you don't do anything, these people WILL commit the crime AGAIN.
I'd rather not live in a World where these types are running about willi-nilly doing all sorts of awful things to people (or temporarily jailed so that they will eventually get out and do it again). Sometimes you MUST judge people, and I would much rather elimnate the Few to save the Many.

So you're saying it's their society and culture that is behind the veil, causing them to act this way? In that case, I agree and I believe that's true. So why would we ever want this kind of punishment in our "world"? We should strive to better our culture so that crimes like this never happens, and the answer is absolutely not crazy retributional justice such as this. That's alot harder, but in the long run it would be worth it, and it should be the way humanity evolves.

As long as there have been humans there has been crime - this is a fact.
I used to believe as you do that we can "fix" things so these types of situations do not happen again..but I have lived long enough to realize that it is not going to happen.
We can strive for perfection, but Human Nature will always be the wild card.
Even if the economic situation were perfect and there did not exist all of the "isms" and divisions that are pervasive in all societies (including ours), there would be those that would be incorrigible, uncontrollable and dangerous.
And they need to dealt with in a way where they do not harm others ever again.
There is crime and there will always be crime..unfortunately this is part of the human condition.
It would be nice if people would act right, but there will always be those who will not regardless of what you do for them.

I don't think it's a matter of "fixing", ultimately I think it's the way humanity evolves, however slow it may be. But time is our enemy in that case, so for those that has the capacity for optimism and hope should hold on to it like there's no tomorrow, literally.

Anyway, the subject on how culture changes and advances is far too complex to discuss on a saturday, although it is very interesting.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

well man the only real justice in this world is by the hand of god by whatever name you wish to call him.

the biggest problem in the entire world is man tries to play god.

and while the west is by no means perfect they have sorted alot out and stop acting like idiots i cant say the same for east.
edit on 14-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a very moving and touching movie recreated a real life situation where this same thing happened in America.
It is called "Crazy Love". The story is very inspiring for the heart. It's sad, of course, but shows that there are alternatives that could never have been imagined.

In the movie, the man does not stop trying to court her even after he attacks her with acid in her face. He goes to jail and gets out years later and she eventually goes along with him, only to later fall in love with him. She became dependent upon him, and that is what he desired, and they both lived (not so) happily ever after, but yet it was probably better than this situation here.
edit on 14-5-2011 by realitycheckmate because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2011 by realitycheckmate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Iran was doing pretty good in the 50s. Google it. Iraq under Saddam was a lot more fair to women than it is now. And definitely more fair to women than our best bud, Saudi Arabia. We helped the fundamentalist nuts in Afghanistan that led to the Taliban taking women back to the stone age. And now, in Libya, we are also taking down a leader under whom women have been educated and had opportunity.

Not to mention in Iraq and Libya we are/have been destroying their infrastructure and basically bombing them back to the iron age.

I dont really think its quite fair to call the "east" animals when every step they have taken towards anything even approaching modern, equitable society has been stomped on by the west.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

How does it make it right? She will not get her sight back. You will not get your tire back. Makes far more sense for you to get money for a new tire. And for her to get money for surgery.

Some would argue that cruelty deserves cruelty. If I remember correctly, she can choose to be bought off instead but she prefers this option. It's up to her, so respect her decision.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
drip, drip, drip... damn! that's gonna STING!

He should have thought about how acid in the eye feels before subjecting another person to it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a11b7c7e372d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercurio

Look, Iran is not the monster that mainstream media tries to make it out to be.. Of course corruption runs through the veins of their Gov't. but look at our Gov't... I like how he called out the 911 inside job in front of the international community.. and he never said he was going to wipe Israel off of the face of the map.. he was quoting some from a long time ago and the translator completely twisted what he said...
We must clean our own backyards up before insisting that our neighbors clean theirs........

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

I guess I understand letting the punishment fit the crime, but there is the thing about hunting monsters, and taking care you don't become a monster yourself.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grizzle2

You can hack up a human like a serial killer to express your own rage and anger and fear, or whatever they are doing..................

Or you can hack up a human to remove diseased organs and repair damage.

You make a good point, but its not a foregone conclusion that acting in similar ways means you are similar things.

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join