It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharks dying by the dozens off California due to internal bleeding

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
That is crazy...

Sharks Dying by the Dozens Due to Internal Bleeding

Dozens of leopard sharks have been washing up dead in California since April, and now a necropsy shows at least one of the sharks died of massive internal bleeding, such that blood was even coming out of the shark's skin, according to a Daily News report.

The necropsy, conducted by the California Department of Fish and Game, uncovered "inflammation, bleeding and lesions in the brain, and hemorrhaging from the skin near vents." According to the Daily News story, bleeding was additionally detected around the tested female's other internal organs.

The results suggest the 50 sharks that have washed up dead at Redwood Shores in Redwood City, California, since April must have died a slow and agonizing death.

Catherine Greer, a resident of the city, said she and her son tried to save some of the sharks by returning them to the water, but "they'd swim right back, thrashing their heads against the shore ... as if they were trying to commit suicide."

They don't know why....yet...

A key question then clearly remains: What is causing the internal bleeding?

As of now, that's still a mystery. A statement released by the Silicon Valley city mentioned, "The...pathologist is not drawing any conclusions until more examinations and all tests are performed."

A bacterial study and microspoic tissue analysis are underway. Investigators have not ruled out a human-caused spill of toxic chemicals, although no big spill has been reported in the region over the past couple of months.

And it's unlikely it's only sharks..

Sean Van Sommeran, executive director of the Pelagic Shark Research Foundation in nearby Santa Cruz, suspects "we're only seeing a tiny fraction of what's going on," meaning more sharks and other animals are likely being affected by the problem.

And the fact that it's killing leopard sharks is quite shocking...

Van Sommeran added that leopard sharks are typically a "pretty resistant" species.

Hopefully they find the problem and fix it.

+13 more 
posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
More than likely there death is due to massive trauma...

They probably were confused due to the fireworks and sustained massive trauma from hitting the sea floor because they got confused.

Come on, this is science!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

something fishy is going on here and i doubt that ill rest til they find out whats going on .

+41 more 
posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The article said "no big spill was reported over the last several months".

WHAT????

Fukushima!? Remember?? They dumped untold thousands of gallons of highly radioactive water/waste into the ocean....a few months ago...

AND the Pacific currents would take it straight from Japan to North America.
North Pacific Gyre wiki

I am not saying that is what caused the internal bleeding, I would tend to actually blame some other type of chemical spill rather than Fukushima. But no one can say factually that there has not been any big spills lately. We have factual evidence that Fukushima caused one of the worst individual spills in history...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Its probably the radiation and corexit in the water. Corexit damages the cell wall and lets all the bad stuff in.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BanMePlz
Its probably the radiation and corexit in the water. Corexit damages the cell wall and lets all the bad stuff in.

Well, California is on the Pacific coast.

The only place I know of where massive amounts of Corexit were used is in the Gulf of Mexico.

There really isn't any way for it to have traveled like that.

Unless they had an oil spill off the coast of California recently and used Corexit there also...but I have never heard of it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The cause might be Fukashima radiation in the water.
I believe they are bottom feeders.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
alot of sea animals dying...here is an article from a couple weeks ago when the sharks started dying and gives a little more info..

Van Sommeran theorizes that pollution may play a role. He and Faulkner point out that agribusiness giant Cargill, which operates 9000 acres of salt evaporation ponds in the southern part of the bay, had 4 spills of bittern -- a noxious salt production waste fluid -- between 2000 and 2006. State records show the company spilled 218 000 gallons of the substance in August 2006, killing about 200 fish and resulting in a fine of USD 228 000. The salinity of bittern is about 10 times that of ocean water.

source

from a different article earlier this year

Hundreds of fish have been found dead in Ventura Harbor. This is the second large fish kill in Southern California this year. This time, hundreds of dead fish are floating in Ventura Harbor

source

both articles seem to be saying that these are not the biggest die offs..and as i read between the lines.."dont worry, these are small compared to what was before so there is no reason for concern"
and of course..people will be thinking.....radiation.....
the earth/animals can live without humans, but humans cannot this with out the earth/animals.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I know big scale fish kills are common...but there have been so MANY all over the world.I believe the ones in the Gulf and Atlantic coast are almost certainly from the corexit, but the others?? Well the Fukishima dumping most likely is doing it's damage too.... We dump so much garbage into the oceans, I don't think we know the half of it. I think it's finally taking a toll....very sad and very concerning....it all trickles down the food chain directly to us.

edit on 5/13/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
One of the main side affects of exposure to Corexit - hemorrhaging.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Star for you.

The first thing that popped into my mind after reading this was 'Fukushima.'

It could be something else but that was my first thought and certainly disputes the claim of 'no recent spill.'

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What about sonar testing? Do they still do that? I've heard they were trying to ban it, because of harm to mammal sealife, but I don't know how much harm it does, or what kind of harm, other than the mammal's radar. Maybe it harms them more than they've admitted

www.nrdc.org...

Many of these beached whales have suffered physical trauma, including bleeding around the brain, ears and other tissues and large bubbles in their organs.

These symptoms are akin to a severe case of "the bends" -- the illness that can kill scuba divers who surface quickly from deep water. Scientists believe that the mid-frequency sonar blasts may drive certain whales to change their dive patterns in ways their bodies cannot handle, causing debilitating and even fatal injuries.

I know the OP is about sharks, and the article I posted uses whales, but I'm thinking it would probably affect lots of sea life species.
edit on 13-5-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Maybe these sharks ate too much fish or bird seed for that matter.

I am still puzzled why scientists are so shocked to discover all these mass fish die offs. How much Corexit did we fill the ocean with? and are we not still using Corexit (scratches head)? Hmmm... How much radioactive waste has leaked into the ocean from Japan? and we being told the truth about anything?

Sounds like Corexit to me with all this the internal bleeding.

GV

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Fukushima is STILL not in control

"At this point, TEPCO still finds itself in unchartered waters and is not able to carry out any plan to get the situation under control," he said.

Nearly 10,400 tonnes of water has been pumped into the reactor so far, but it is unclear where the leaked water has been going.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Radiation poisoning.
Japan?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenVoyager
Maybe these sharks ate too much fish or bird seed for that matter.

Bird seed? Whats the line of reasoning?

Im intrigued by the corexit theory, but how are they getting into it in Cali? Does anyone know if they have used it there recently? Or can it be traveling all the way from the gulf?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Well that would be one of the first logical suspects to look at, wouldn't it? (Japan Radiation)
Also... Wasn't the cause of death attributed to the mass bird die offs on new years the same? Internal hemorrhaging?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
debris from the japanese earthquake? lot's of unknown mixes happening in that pile of crap i'd assume.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Remember..... Corexit was first used in Alaska.

That's how we know it should never be used again.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join