It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activated Graphene Makes Superior Supercapacitors for Energy Storage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Scientists at the U.S. Department of Energy's Brookhaven National Laboratory have helped to uncover the nanoscale structure of a novel form of carbon, contributing to an explanation of why this new material acts like a super-absorbent sponge when it comes to soaking up electric charge. The material, which was recently created at The University of Texas -- Austin, can be incorporated into "supercapacitor" energy-storage devices with remarkably high storage capacity while retaining other attractive attributes such as superfast energy release, quick recharge time, and a lifetime of at least 10,000 charge/discharge cycles.

Because most supercapacitors can't hold nearly as much charge as batteries, their use has been limited to applications where smaller amounts of energy are needed quickly, or where long life cycle is essential, such as in mobile electronic devices. The new material developed by the UT-Austin researchers may change that. Supercapacitors made from it have an energy-storage capacity, or energy density, that is approaching the energy density of lead-acid batteries, while retaining the high power density -- that is, rapid energy release -- that is characteristic of supercapacitors.

source

Exciting news to see some new energy storage methods coming online.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The sort of technology that makes electric cars practical. It also helps domestic energy storage that way we can store energy from our wind turbines at night or during the day whilst at work and use it when we need it in the evening. Lead-acid batteries are just not practical for a domestic store when you calculate how many you need and where to put the freaking things. But lightweight carbon supercapacitors

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Cool, I remember reading about this a few years back. I bet the government will get their panties in a twist if this technology is used for the good of mankind.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BanMePlz
Cool, I remember reading about this a few years back. I bet the government will get their panties in a twist if this technology is used for the good of mankind.

They sure will! get upset. Those things have a weapons purpose first, pure and simple

top topics

join