It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shakespeare in Pi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
There is a saying that a million monkeys typing for a million years have the probability of typing up Shakespeare. Im not sure the exact quote but it deals with probabilistic odds. I was wondering since Pi is an irrational number, is it possible that a Shakespearean work shows up in the digits of Pi. For example 1=A, 2=B....25-Y,26=Z. Since the digits are truly infinite. There is also a possibility that all of recorded human history past and present is on the digits of Pi. With infinite numbers, the probablilty is in favor of such an occurence.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
You know, that's actually a VERY good thought! I wonder if someone could create some sort of algorithm program to test this out....?

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The problem is we only have the first few trillion digits, and such odd occurrences will probably show up much later in the sequence. Not only am I certain that our past,present and future history is in Pi but what other wonders can be deciphered? The human Genome, the cure for AIDS etc.

[edit on 2-8-2004 by TACHYON]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Since the digits of PI are infinite then yes everything imaginable could be found in it. But really you would have to know what you were looking for before you tried to find it and even then it could take forever.

You couldn't just pick a random numbering of letters and search some section of the digits of PI and hope to find anything of value. Humanity would surely come up with the ideas of whatever you are looking for, long LONG before you could find it in PI.

Unless you're incredibly - Astronomically - lucky.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Should I answer him, and should I don't ?

[edit on 2-8-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

Bha, no ! After all I'm stupid. ask to Amantine...

[edit on 2-8-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The same could be done with the irrational number e. So tell whoever writes the algorithm prog. to throw "e" in there too. :-D

I wonder what this would provide, since its thought that Pi can bring up shakespear... Maybe it could give us an exact GPS location of Atlantis, and the "true meaning" to life... I'll be awaiting the results

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Here's a link discussing more about finding words in Pi. users.aol.com...
There's also a program out there that lets you search words up in the Pi sequence. Unfortunatley I've lost this link.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamIronMan
The same could be done with the irrational number e. So tell whoever writes the algorithm prog. to throw "e" in there too. :-D

I wonder what this would provide, since its thought that Pi can bring up shakespear... Maybe it could give us an exact GPS location of Atlantis, and the "true meaning" to life... I'll be awaiting the results

Or it could tell of the rise of the next stock price, sign me up LOL.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Nice link there Arek, for those of you are more technically oriented its a good link. Yes since the digts are infinite, we wont know someting of value until we actually know it already exists. Thus I doubt we will make interesting finds without rediscovering old finds.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It's another "Bible code" sort of thing -- if you pick enough numbers, you can come up with any number of things: good, bad, inaccurate, stupid, profound, incomprehensible, nonsensical, or malicious. In fact, with a completely infinite series, the code will have ALL of the above in them. And you won't know which is which.

Remember, infinity is endless ... you may never get to the section that has the truth you are looking for.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It's not so simple, because langage sense is given by coherents algorithms and produce repetitive patterns.

An example :

"My blessings go with thee"
King John, Act iii, Sc.3

You see, a coherent sentence must containt at least a subject and a verb. but many sentences are made with subject-verb-complements. So, when you'll "compile" a langage in maths, you will get coherents patterns.

Do you understand what I mean ?

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I think you miss my point, but im not sure if I understand you. As others have pointed out there will be much nonesense in the digits as well. Since the digits are infinite, there is also infinite occurences of for example "Romeo and Juliet." The fact that it is infinite gives us the leeway to do so. Im not sure how this can be proven mathematically but intuition tells us that it has to be the case. There will be coherent and incoherent sentences in the digits.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I think you would take the number of symbols in a Shakespear play, calculate the permutations based on the number of available symbols. It would show up about once in number_of_available_symbols ^ number_of_symbols_in_play [raised to the power of]. A VERY LARGE number indeed. If Pi is infinite in it's irrationality it is most likely you would have it somewhere out there. Maybe in 100 billion years you might find it. Have fun!

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
hey , that's a great original thought .

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by oddtodd
hey , that's a great original thought .

Thank you oddtood, love the avatar by the way LOL
. Another thing I would like to mention. Also every single humans history from birth to death is also in the PI seqence, to the exact time of death, kinda scary huh?

[edit on 3-8-2004 by TACHYON]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Here's something about language patterns :

www.learner.org...

Slank : You're right in theory but don't forget that to translate pi into langage, you'll need to translator pi decimals into binary...

Tachyon, about your idea, you should also see about the Akashic record :

The Akashic Records or "The Book of Life" can be equated to the universe's super computer system. It is this system that acts as the central storehouse of all information for every individual who has ever lived upon the earth. More than just a reservoir of events, the Akashic Records contain every deed, word, feeling, thought, and intent that has ever occurred at any time in the history of the world.

(...)

The Akashic Records contain the entire history of every soul since the dawn of Creation. These records connect each one of us to one another.

Source (and the whole article) : www.edgarcayce.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
And a last, but not least, thing :

Indies use to tell that the name of The Supreme God cannot be known by a human, because this name containt all the names of all the souls who have lived in the universe. By a strange "coincidence" (but I don't belive in coincidences), this name start with the letter AUM, drawn like that :

top topics

join