It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Message to American Atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
The charming examples of the religious mind set who have posted on this thread are more than enough to put any thinking person off religion

The thought of having to spend all eternity in the company of such ignorant fear-ridden people – now that really would be hell

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Hmm, quite interesting that a "thinking person" managed successfully to use 6 fallacies of logic in a single post.

Priceless.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

He didn't make "GOD" his enemy - He can't prove whether God exists. - He made the theocratic fascists his enemy, he made man-made religion his enemy, not God. Again, we still can't prove whether God exists, and Christopher Hitchens is a decent man, if there is a God, and he is merciful, he would spare Christopher for trying to liberate his fellow species.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Oh I’m quite serious – in my opinion its people that make a place and the thought of having to spending all of eternity in the company of a bunch of religious muppets fills me with dread

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Re-read what I said, it didn't have anything to do with accusing you of not being 'serious'.

Hmm, quite interesting that a "thinking person" managed successfully to use 6 fallacies of logic in a single post.

Priceless.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Well I don’t get what your on about – put it down to English been my second language

I will have one more go at getting my point across

given that christians come across as a bunch of brain-bleached ass-hats, it is therefore a given that christian heaven (ie a place full of christians) would be an abysmal mind-deadening dump to end up in and I am glad such a place is not real

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Haha, thanks for making me laugh.

Don't worry about those "6 logical fallacies" - And your English is superb.

Peace.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

Well I don’t get what your on about – put it down to English been my second language

I will have one more go at getting my point across

given that christians come across as a bunch of brain-bleached ass-hats, it is therefore a given that christian heaven (ie a place full of christians) would be an abysmal mind-deadening dump to end up in and I am glad such a place is not real

I can completely understand how that flew over your head.. twice.

You shouldn't refer to yourself as a "thinking person" again until you learn the difference between a legitimate critique and a fallacy-riddled, playground-level insult.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Hi and thanks

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Well ok if you say so
Moving on

I have nothing but contempt for the christians and others who attempt to dismiss this man's work by claiming some kind of 11th hour repentance and they will no doubt do it when he is no longer around to defend himself

religious people will just have to learn to face the fact that there are people who just don’t believe what they believe and never will

I will try and demonstrate
its called “selective attention test “ try it the result can be amusing

The test works because the participants are instructed to follow some complex activity and they become so absorbed in doing so that they miss most of the other things that are happening

Christianity works the same way, christians are instructed to believe in the bible, that the bible is good and so on and so christians become absorbed in believing in the bible and so tune out everything else

But those of us who don’t believe in the bible can easily see in reality its non-sense (we can see the man in the gorilla costume – no problem)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Well, considering that, at least according to your interpretation of things, 99% of all the greatest minds in history would be in hell (whatever your interpretation of hell is)...well...heaven would be a pretty lousy place. Heaven would be absent the best poets, scientists, novelists, playwrights, filmmakers, philosophers, musicians, artists and far more in human history.

Actually, the vast majority of people who ever lived would be unable to make it to heaven...so that's really the only reason they wouldn't be up there.

So 'brain bleached' actually sounds just about right. Granted, you dismiss the works of whole swathes of scientific inquiry out of hand, so I guess you wouldn't mind the absent biologists, geologists, paleontologists, anthropologists, archeologists, zoologists, doctors, cosmologists, physicists, astronomers and more whose factual observations just don't happen to gel with your interpretation of things.

I guess heaven really is a lovely place, it's a place where everyone agrees with you.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

He didn't make "GOD" his enemy - He can't prove whether God exists. - He made the theocratic fascists his enemy, he made man-made religion his enemy, not God. Again, we still can't prove whether God exists, and Christopher Hitchens is a decent man, if there is a God, and he is merciful, he would spare Christopher for trying to liberate his fellow species.

He will be finding out soon enough. And he does claim there is no God.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

Well ok if you say so
Moving on

Yeah, same here. You're offering nothing but bigoted rhetoric.

*yawn*

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Well, considering that, at least according to your interpretation of things, 99% of all the greatest minds in history would be in hell.

Do you have a citation for that statistic? Or is it your purely fabricated conjecture?

Granted, you dismiss the works of whole swathes of scientific inquiry out of hand, so I guess you wouldn't mind the absent biologists, geologists, paleontologists, anthropologists, archeologists, zoologists, doctors, cosmologists, physicists, astronomers and more whose factual observations just don't happen to gel with your interpretation of things.

First of all, did you just include all the "ologists" you could randomly think of and try to pass that off as a credible argument for your position? That's absurd man, I know you're better than that.

Secondly, there are thousands of young-Earth, Bible-believing Christians in all those fields of study. What does that prove in regards to absolute truth? Nothing for either one of us, it's a retarded argument.

edit on 14-5-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Atheist's Wager, my friend. Your God's benevolent right? Merciful?

Perhaps he'd forgive an Atheist for honestly making a conviction based on (current) lack of evidence, and being as moral as he could be.

OR

He will be burning forever in agonising pain?

If that God exists, i wouldn't submit. Feel free to be serf to this dictatorship if it is true.

I've got a thread on this if you're willing to look at things from a different perspective. I'm not asking you to convert, i would never be so immoral.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

His point still stands, you honestly believe that great minds, extremely gentle people will be unworthy of the afterlife you'll get for being a serf to a man-made religion conjured from abstraction, and not a real depiction of what God actually is (if God exists).

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

His point still stands, you honestly believe that great minds, extremely gentle people will be unworthy of the afterlife you'll get for being a serf to a man-made religion conjured from abstraction, and not a real depiction of what God actually is (if God exists).

Yes, there will be "great minds" in Hell. Having a "great mind" does nothing to justify oneself to a Holy, righteous God. His "point" certainly doesn't remain, you should have read to the last sentence in my post:

"Secondly, there are thousands of young-Earth, Bible-believing Christians in all those fields of study. What does that prove in regards to absolute truth? Nothing for either one of us, it's a retarded argument."

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Young Earth.... so there are serious academics out there who believe the Earth is no older than 6000 years despite the evidence proving otherwise?

Yes, there will be "great minds" in Hell. Having a "great mind" does nothing to justify oneself to a Holy, righteous God. His "point" certainly doesn't remain, you should have read to the last sentence in my post:

This is just typical Christian double standard:-

There are moral Atheists and immoral Atheists. There are immoral Christians, and moral Christians. Are you seriously suggesting that a belief in Jesus will save you, simply because you agree to a belief system?

That's exactly what the Crusaders thought, that's exactly what the Westboro baptist church think, and preach. I hope there is a heaven so you can mingle with the likes of these people.

What about homosexuals? What about Christian homosexuals? Hellfire? No exceptions?

Love your preaching man, sometimes i think your like an Atheist posing as a Christian to give them a bad name.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Young Earth.... so there are serious academics out there who believe the Earth is no older than 6000 years despite the evidence proving otherwise?

Yes, thousands. Secondly, it's certainly not "proved otherwise", in fact there is great debate today.

This is just typical Christian double standard:-

There are moral Atheists and immoral Atheists. There are immoral Christians, and moral Christians. Are you seriously suggesting that a belief in Jesus will save you, simply because you agree to a belief system?

God doesn't grade on a curve, God judges perfect and imperfect. He doesn't compare you to the bum down the street who is beating his wife, He compares you to Jesus.

That's exactly what the Crusaders thought, that's exactly what the Westboro baptist church think, and preach. I hope there is a heaven so you can mingle with the likes of these people.

Guilt by association fallacy.

What about homosexuals? What about Christian homosexuals? Hellfire? No exceptions?

Sin is sin. God views it all as sin. There is only one sin that is unforgivable and it's not homosexuality.

Love your preaching man, sometimes i think your like an Atheist posing as a Christian to give them a bad name.

Hey, it was Christ who said we'd be "hated by the world" for His gospel. You're just another person verifying that prophetic deceleration from the Lord.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

God doesn't grade on a curve, God judges perfect and imperfect. He doesn't compare you to the bum down the street who is beating his wife, He compares you to Jesus.

What about the Eskimo who knoes not of Jesus?

Hellfire, because he wasn't told about Jesus or how to behave like Jesus?

Yes, thousands. Secondly, it's certainly not "proved otherwise", in fact there is great debate today.

That's scary. There's no "great" debate. Probably involving someone like Ken Hovind or another charlatan of science - Yes - guilt by association, he's a fundamental preacher too.

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join