It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

america-the dream is gone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
When i was a little boy i had so many dreams of what i was going to be when i grew up.See,when i was two months old my father died,my mom had to go go to work so my grandmother moved in with us and helped raise the 5 of us. We were poor,mom made just enough to feed us and put clothes on our backs. But our grandmother always told us "This is america,the greatest nation on the earth,you can be anything you want when you grow up"So i held on to that belief. I graduated from high school,taught myself to weld on my lunch breaks,i was an ironworker. I kept my head down and forged ahead,never looking back. When i was 38 i went in on a partnership in a welding co.little did i know my partner was a crook that lasted 2 yrs. I dissolved the partnership and started my own co. Things were good till the economic collapse of 08 i have struggled these last few years but the struggle is coming to an end. I am a few days away from losing my power and phone then my home,my american dream is coming to an end.The only way to actually get ahead in this great country is to be a liar and a cheat,but i would rather be homeless than become one of those people,theson

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I know one thing.. This sure as hell is not the Land of the free, That i was promised as a young man..

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I hear that man, but at least it sounds like you have some experience in iron-working and business/management, so you'll probably never be unemployed, even if that means being underemployed or underpaid. Stay strong my friend.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Agree with the OP & TechVamp

Not really as free as some think

I myself am working hard to become an ExPat...

the sooner the better

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
We are in the land of money for the few. One side gets richer and the other side gets poorer. Did you watch the documentary "Capitalism: A Love Story"? A family living in a home for like 30 years and they are just getting kicked out.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I've had similar issues, exaserbated by the fact that over the past few years I have lost my sight.

Grew up as poor as it gets (and loved me some government cheese... if you remember that, you're dating yourself lol) and just knew I would make something of myself...

Add a few decades and I am still as poor as it gets.

The thing is, we dont HAVE to live that way. There are a lot of ways to work around these issues and make a go for yourself, in a different way.

There's lots of land out there for sale on the cheap, and can be had with owner financing for less than 100 bucks a month (and we're talking 20+ acres of land). You could get that land, build a small house out of recycled materials (especially since you have a welding background, you can use that to your advantage). Shoot, could even make your own furniture and everything

Anyhow... use that land to set up aquaponics systems to grow food in the forms of veggies and fish. I know families that grow over 6000 pounds of food per year on 1/10th of an acre of land using a setup like that. They grow so much of it they sell a good amount of it.

Anyhow.. The point I am trying to make here is that you do NOT have to be stuck in the system as it stands. Hearken back to a time when people were more self-reliant and had no need of anyone else even being around them besides their family and small community.

Don't play their games... make a game of your own and recreate a dream that's better... and DOABLE.
edit on 13-5-2011 by Jomina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Great ideas. But you have to look into the Towns and Counties zoning laws before embarking on such a venture. I had an opportunity to buy 23 acres with house, for $24,000 recently. But county zoning laws prevented,

Plan A: Renovating the house on the property. It's not in bad shape but the housing inspector condemned it anyway. If I bought it, I would have to build a totally new home, more unneeded cash outflow.

Plan B: Raising and training rescue/cadaver dogs. The county cites noise factors even though the property is three miles outside of town and very rural.

Plan C: It is riverfront (not a big river) and of the property is subject to low-level flooding in the spring. Selling river bottom/bog dirt can be quite lucrative as it is rich in nutrients, but no dredging is allowed.

The zoning laws are too restrictive. Why own that much property if I can’t do anything with it.

Much to my families chagrin, I passed. It would have brought me home. Bummer.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by theson

You have become disillusioned. Disillusion waxes and wanes.
You have a lot of inner strength. Use it.
Whatever your current issues are, they are temporary. Everything is. If they cut off your power, they will cut it back on.

" When you think you have tried everything, remember this: you haven't. "
Thomas Edison
edit on 5/13/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thank you all for the replies. I am trying to get a new project going with the help of my friend DrunkNinja,but i am running out of time. I posted this thread in this forum because it isnt a rant. I just think people need to wake up and look around. People are suffering and the narcissistic american lifstyle is about to end. I hope those who read this thread dont feel sympathy but anger instead.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The title of this thread reminds me of one of my favorite songs right now. The American dream is over. We are the refuse of a society that has ingrained into our minds an idea of what happiness entails, of what life goals we should strive for. The sooner we learn to think and act outside of such expectations and misconceptions, the happier we can be.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Things are looking up.thank you all PEACE

top topics

join