It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are male comedians required to be sexist against men in order to make it big?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Ok, I'm feeling a little bit more clear headed now....I'll pick off where I left off, I guess. (I was speaking more socially and in business, not politics...but oh well here I go)

I do agree with you that there are alot less women and minorities in high positions these days. But I don't believe there is anything legal holding them back. There are jobs where women dominate the field, simply because men don't want that position. I think that racism in American is alot worse than sexism, so I won't argue with you about that. Like I said, there are no laws or anything legal holding these women from trying for those positions. In fact, Condoleezza Rice is very close to president Bush. He trusts her with some of his most important decisions. Less women apply for these positions, thus there are less women in these positions.

Now if you're going to argue that PEOPLE are still sexist...I'd have to agree with you. This may also be the reason that there aren't too many women or minorities in high places (politically). There are still alot of rednecks/hilbillies (Now I'm generalizing.) that think that the while male is far superior to any other race or gender. This may be the reason that there has never been a non-white male president. When women or minorities try, some of the recieve death threats or buckle under the
pressure of being the first.

Yuck. Sick in the summer stinks. Don't prop yourself up in front of the computer... go sprawl! Hope you feel better.

Thanks

[Edited on 6-8-2004 by Herman]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
When I read your post, I thought to myself, this poor dude is under 25. He hasn't been in the workforce long enough to realize that no one ever thanks you for pointing out the fact that "there is a turd in the punch-bowl." If you say anything, they automatically assume YOU put it there.

You may or may not be sexist; but you are definitely naive for even mentioning this hyper-obvious fact, that men are the serfs. Just look at commercials:

Her: Did you call to get the air conditioner fixed?
Him: uhhh . . . urr . . . gggghhh. I'll call tomorrow.
Her: (laughing). Honey . . . you'll call right now.
Him: (laughing sheepishly) I'll call now.

I'm surprised you continue to pursue this thread. No one is EVER going to give you a pat on the back for being a competent straight white male. So quit expecting it.

you will learn what everyone else does. The REAL sexism is that folks gravitate toward white males because you know that everything this guy does gets picked apart. In order to stay in his position, the white guy has too be very careful and back up all his suggestions with lots of evidence, because of who he is.

If you ever sit in on research discussions, you'll see this real quick. A woman or minority can to some half-a***d job and turn in an incoherent report, and gets thanked for it. If the white male does that, he'll be put on trial for incompetence. So naturally, people assume you've done your homework, since you are under so much scrutiny.

I've noticed this time and again. At first, I was really angry about it, and tried to change things. I eventually realized that people knew that I did my own work, and did the work for most of my research team. Even though I had to share the credit, everyone knew the work was mine, and respected me for it.

It's stupid, but you cannot change it. And people despise you for pointing it out to them.

Lotsa luck, chum.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Haha, thanks. Now I know that I can always work towards changing....nothing.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hey all
First off: I was going to make a new thread about this. But decided against it because of people saying use the search button.

Anyway, thread starter. I agree with you, MOSTLY only on your first post.
It unfair, that because I'm Male, I get discriminated against. I honestly don't care if its a joke, and I do take offence to it.
Other things, like guys don't get jobs 'cause they're Male, even though theres more guys trying to get the job, is just stupid!

Also, is is NOW equel opitunity. Infact, more 18 year olds at my College go to good universites. And it is unfair, I get treated like a chavenist (spelling?), when I have done nothing wrong!

Feminists suck, they need to disapear, or change there name to Equalists!

EDIT: I have reported sexism in single player Computer games.

[edit on 27/2/06 by JimmyCarterIsSmarter]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimmyCarterIsSmarter
Hey all
First off: I was going to make a new thread about this. But decided against it because of people saying use the search button.

Anyway, thread starter. I agree with you, MOSTLY only on your first post.
It unfair, that because I'm Male, I get discriminated against. I honestly don't care if its a joke, and I do take offence to it.
Other things, like guys don't get jobs 'cause they're Male, even though theres more guys trying to get the job, is just stupid!

Also, is is NOW equel opitunity. Infact, more 18 year olds at my College go to good universites. And it is unfair, I get treated like a chavenist (spelling?), when I have done nothing wrong!

Feminists suck, they need to disapear, or change there name to Equalists!

EDIT: I have reported sexism in single player Computer games.

[edit on 27/2/06 by JimmyCarterIsSmarter]

Wow, I'm suprised this thread managed to resurface! I understand what you're saying. We have to work twice as hard to get half the praise. I had to deal with that sort of situation at my job (A certain overly-popular coffee shop that I'm sure you all know of.) I'm currently the only male working there, although I don't think that's due to sexism. I got hired a little before this one girl, and they would go on and on about how hard a worker she was, and what a good job she always does. She doesn't work any harder than me (We all work very hard), they simply give her too many hours and she doesn't complain. That's admirable, but I feel like they totally don't appreciate me nearly as much as they appreciate her (and the other new girls.) Maybe it's because men are expected to work hard or something, I don't know, but it can be extremely aggrivating. I've been there about six months now, but it's a great job and I like all of the people, so I stay. Anyway, they promoted the one girl, sent her and this other woman who got hired about the same time as me to a class where they'd learn how to teach other new employees, but never asked me to do it. It could be because I have college so I don't work as many hours (Which is what they told me), but it's still frusterating!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join