It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia blocks UN report on Iran arms going to Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Russia is attempting to suppress a United Nations report that says Iran has been breaking a U.N. arms embargo by shipping weapons to Syria, Western diplomats said Thursday.

"Russia has objected to the publication of the report as an official Security Council document," a council diplomat told Reuters on condition of anonymity. Several other diplomats confirmed it.

"It's obviously an attempt to protect (Syrian President) Bashar al-Assad," who is coming under increasing international pressure over his violent crackdown on anti-government protesters, another council diplomat said.

Hmm. So Iran is shipping weapons to Syria, and Russia is trying to block it.

The confidential report, obtained by Reuters, said most of Iran's breaches of the embargo have been deliveries of weapons to Syria, which Western diplomats say were to be passed on to Lebanese and Palestinian militants.

If I understand the article correctly, Iran is breaking the embargo on themselves, not the new embargo on Syria.....but if Iran has shipped weapons to them in the past few days, then Iran will be violating both embargos....

This comes at a pretty volatile time. I wonder if we will soon hear of reports that the shells and tanks used to kill civilians in Syria, came from Iran?

Another thing to put in the picture, Russia just sent Iran another load of nuclear fuel, and the reactor should be up within weeks.

Russia's decision to block the report comes as diplomats said Britain and France were attempting to revive plans to have the Security Council condemn Syria for its crackdown against demonstrators.

A senior Russian diplomat was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying Thursday that Iran's Russian-built Bushehr nuclear power plant will be fully operational within weeks.

Edit - grammar
edit on 13-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Russia, Iran.Libya, Sryia are standing up agaisnt the new world order, UN
I dont see any problems with what the russians are doing, but i do have a problem with the americaian government leadership and NATO.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well, the entire middle east is blowing up and eating themselves.
this will just anger and encourage the average syrian on the street more and once they topple their own government, they will help the next revolution in iran (scheduled in a few months perhaps) once and for all.

Russia will be making no friends if they continue to support dictatorships while squashing the reporting from the UN...that could lead to some serious backlash.

But the most important question...

How is this the US's fault...after all, nothing on planet earth happens unless America is somehow behind it all...so please, some of you chime in and tell us how either the US or Israel are devils after hearing this news

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Russia, Iran.Libya, Sryia are standing up agaisnt the new world order, UN
I dont see any problems with what the russians are doing, but i do have a problem with the americaian government leadership and NATO.

Ahh, got it in before I even hit submit
cheers

Good to know you have no issue with russia trying to quell the support of dictators to murder civilians.

Dude...serious question though, are they currently at your castle, or are your guards still holding them off?

edit on 13-5-2011 by SaturnFX because: added stuff

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I have to admit that I do wonder who is playing what game here, while I can understand that in order for both Russia and China to maintain their interests in the Eurasian Heartland they need to counter or contain the Western nations, while the Western nations need to do the same to Russia and China it really does leave little wiggle room to avoid a major conflict.
edit on 13/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: removed additional comment

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Well, regardless if Russia is fighting the NWO or the NATO leadership. One question remains. What do they intend to get by blocking these reports??

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I have to admit that I do wonder who is playing what game here

Thats exactly what Im thinking.I dont really know whats supposed to be happening here, but it looks like its another major part to throw into the mix with Iran.

I think its adding more fuel to the fire at Iran. Im guessing that if Iran has sent Syria weapons in the past few days, and therefore broke 2 embargos at once, the UN will have a hay-day, along with Israel going nuts over it to. Maybe somehow Iran will be blamed for letting Syria kill their protesters?
edit on 13-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Food for thought thanks

My guess is that someone (West, Russia or China) is trying to expand into one or more of the others sphere of influence.. and that does not go down to well.. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone as I think they are all working to the same premise.. control the Eurasian Heartland and by default control a large proportion of the worlds resources.

Given the economic climate all three need control of those resources to maintain their power base with the added advantage of stymieing the growth of the others, which is why I think we'll end up facing a major conflict at some point.

Imagine for example the economic edge it would give China if they could put their goods on a train and deliver to anywhere within Eurasia or Africa..
edit on 13/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: added clarity to me at least

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Russia will be making no friends if they continue to support dictatorships while squashing the reporting from the UN...that could lead to some serious backlash.

America, with George Soros zbigniew brzezinski created dictatorships.

www.counterpunch.org...

edit on 13-5-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Maybe the Syria situation will become a war of words between the superpowers?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
How is this any worse than the US defending Israel's disgusting crimes against humanity and war crimes?

or

How the US actually ENCOURAGES Israel to continue doing so solely based on some fiction book?

join