It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wana feel good? Got 20 min for a video? Wana see the future?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

If I start talking about Salman Khan and his website
I'm probably not going to stop. He does it better anyway.

Talk about hyjacking public education in America, this stuff
doesn't even need permission from the schoolboard to start using it now.
It's subversive like that. And the teachers that are using it absolutely love it.

David Grouchy

p.s. for the sake of debate, Steve Jobs can go jump in a river. Splash.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

I never did like (Steve)jobs.

If you're good with computers; most people don't

Apple products are just a shiny product that perform the same function as Microsoft products except Apple charges twice as much for their products

S & F'd

Great Video...

This really is a good idea i think it could go big. Seems really nifty and creative; Wasn't long before someone created something like this glad to see its coming about.
edit on 13-5-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
When somebody on ATS says "go watch this 20 minute youtube video", I think I'd always decline the offer.
But not this one.
I love TED lectures, and having watched a Salman Khan one some time ago (at least I think it was him), I did watch this.

And yes, its deserving of a standing ovation. Not only the presentation of his own learning software design, but also the way he speaks about what is WRONG in the current way of teaching in classrooms. Where everyone, bright or dumb, has to learn at the exact same pace. Where once you find students lacking knowledge, NO time is reserved for filling in those gaps. Where even though you know students only understand half the subject, you still use that gappy "swiss cheese" knowledge base as a foundation for learning more. Where, in advance, a set amount of time is reserved for teaching a topic no matter how quick or slow the students come to learn it. Where teachers spend almost no time at all actually interacting with individual students.
Its all wrong. Salman has it right.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
S & F

Thanks for sharing this. Absolutely brilliant!
edit on 13-5-2011 by zero314 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

thanks for the vid... i hope my children can benefit from this.... i liked his swiss cheese analogy... cause there have been many times where i missed the concept because i was not sure of the fundamentals... great vid... thanks

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thank you so much for posting this, you might have seriously changed my life. I already called my local adult education center and set up a regular basis where Im using this website to prep for college.

I had zero knowledge about this guy or this movement, HE IS THE #1 MOST VIEWED MEMBER ON YOUTUBE.

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Thank YOU!

I have also been looking for something as awesome as this. I believe this could truly change the way people learn!

I have a grammar test coming up for Journalism and this little baby should help nicely! CHEERS!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Brilliant

I just bookmarked www.khanacademy.org...
SnF

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Completely amazing. I'be learned from his videos before myself.

As a recent HS Graduate, I completely recommend this system.

To be honest I'm going to start using this myself. I'd love to learn math better.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Now if we could just get a website like his
that is hugely popular, over a million users,
and turns state budgets into the #1 spectator sport.

David Grouchy

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well ...
_that_
was a thread killer.

Why, oh why, don't Americans understand you my boy?

How many Millionaires did Bill Gates create?

The ensuing rise of stock in the company's 1986 initial public offering (IPO) made an estimated four billionaires and [color=gold] 12,000 millionaires from Microsoft employees.

And how many Millionaires did Steve Jobs create?

When Apple went public, it generated more capital than any IPO since Ford Motor Company in 1956 and instantly created more millionaires [color=gold] (about 300) than any company in history.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
David
absolutely wonderful thread
S&F

will have to come back to watch
the videos when my internet
connection is not so slow or
maybe the video server is overloaded
at the moment.

thanks bro

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing these videos. I'm going to start using the vids at Khan's academy site to supplement my kids' schoolwork and see how far we get through the end of next year. It will be exciting to see how this works.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoLittleTimeToRead
Thank you for sharing these videos. I'm going to start using the vids at Khan's academy site to supplement my kids' schoolwork and see how far we get through the end of next year. It will be exciting to see how this works.

Thanks again.

You are most welcome!

I really dig Khan's style of narration.

Too everyone who hasn't checked him out,
remember that while many of us are running from crisis to crisis
and trying to put out fires, other people are actually making sure their children learn.

David Grouchy

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

That's an amazing site, thanks for sharing, I'll be up late again I guess

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I have been watching his videos for a good while now. Well before I saw him being endorsed by Bill Gates, and hitting the National stage. He is a great educator, and he breaks things down very simply. Sometimes it gets boring it is so simple, lol.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jrocbaby

I had zero knowledge about this guy or this movement, HE IS THE #1 MOST VIEWED MEMBER ON YOUTUBE.

Your statement is false, unfortunately.

#1 - #10 on YouTube (by video) are ALL music videos
www.youtube.com...

#1 - #10 on YouTube (by user) are ALL music or entertainment content providers
www.youtube.com...

He's also not in the top 10 of most subscribed.
www.youtube.com...

While I'd really love to see that he would most viewed or most viewed (by single video), he's not.

If you guys want to help his educational revolution spread, go to the website www.khanacademy.com and check out the volunteer outreach group. If anyone needs further direction, I can offer suggestions by message.

And, everyone please remember who gave him the money to quit his job - Bill Gates gave his organization a million, and Google gave him a million too, and other persons also donated but I don't remember their names. So, the next time you are on a thread that talks about Bill Gates diabolically taking over some aspect of our country or another, at least remind them of the huge favor he is doing by supporting Salman Khan.

For those of you who want to know Sal's credentials: he's said to have a 160ish IQ, has multiple degrees from MIT, has a MBA from Harvard, and has a winning personality that makes even the worst topics come to life.

The Los Altos school district, which is very progressive, has already traded their teachers' daily instruction for his videos, if you didn't hear that in the video. It's very exciting to think that our teachers will in the future have the chance to be more useful. Students can get the help they need in class on problems instead of getting "the drill" each day.

We are with you 100% Sal!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42
It's very exciting to think that our teachers will in the future have the chance to be more useful. Students can get the help they need in class on problems instead of getting "the drill" each day.

That is the best summary of the video that I have read. For those without 20 min to spare, the excitement is tangible. The results of his online courses are real.

David Grouchy
edit on 22-7-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
was thinking this was pretty good idea until i heard him say global one world class room at 16:17 markand then he says thats what we are trying to do.
then bill gates walks in, worlders can't stand them.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Let me guess, you are finding some remote connection to the Bilderbergers or George Bush's nwo plans that bothers you.

Sal is trying to spread his videos around the world. If you've ever watched his videos or seen the comments on them, you'd see students are excited. That's GREAT news.

ETA: I'm disappointed this hasn't gone further here on ATS. Something very positive and worthwhile for students of any age or just anyone wanting to learn something, and only 14 flags so far!

edit on 23-7-2011 by daynight42 because: please flag the thread!

top topics

join