It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-Assembling Solar Cells Created That Repair Themselves. I kid you not!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
It looks like with this technology solar panels just might become more useful then they have ever been before.

Solar cells are intended to mimic the photosynthesis of plants — converting light into energy in the most efficient manner possible. But what other characteristics of plants could be handy for the renewable energy sector to mimic? How about the self-assembly of chloroplast, the component of plants that do all the vital photosynthesis. Leaves repair themselves after sun damage again and again to keep up their ability to convert light into energy. Now, MIT researchers believe they’ve discovered how to use this self-assembly to restore solar cells damaged by the sun.

What goes on in there cells is even more amazing.

“To recreate this unique regenerative ability, the MIT team devised a novel set of self-assembling molecules that use photons to shake electrons loose in the form of electricity. The system contains seven different compounds, including carbon nanotubes that provide structure and a means to conduct the electricity away from the cells, synthetic phospholipids that form discs that also provide structural support, and other molecules that self-assemble into “reaction centers” that actually interact with the incoming photons to release electrons.”

auto- repair

This is looking good so far. Of course this will most likely take a while to get into full effect but still with free energy like this and solar cells that repair themselves, this could be the break though in harnessing the powers of the sun and much more. A definite must for space travel!

edit on 13-5-2011 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
WOW!! They are getting 40% efficiency and this is only the beginning?? With the average solar cell you only collect half that much! Is it possible we are seeing a "Moore's Law" effect in solar power? This is actually revolutionary!
Good Find.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
SnF

Great post there!

Technology is getting more awesome by the day!!

Every night for the past 3 months I have seen some mind blowing....
"Never dreamed that was possible, ten years ago" Tech news being posted on here...

I love it

The uses for this sort of technology would be awesome for Spaceship use...

But think about it for remote cities around the world...
places that do not have power plants supplying their electricity...
heck... if they even have electricity...

a great step forward in my opinion... something that actually could benefit mankind

I would like to have a bunch of this stuff... so when the apocalypse happens...
and society ends... I can still use my microwave and Bunn coffee pot

ohhhhh I would prolly have nothing to microwave or any coffee left
damn

but still wouldnt mind a bunch of this installed on my home

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

I believe some of this technology is being suppressed somehow. There is so much that we can get from mother nature yet due to the greed and corruption of certain corporations it gets put in the back and then becomes long forgotten. The best we can hope for is this form of technology spreads like wildfire and is put for the benefit of humanity.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Yeah, I don't know about specific examples of technological suppression, but I'm sure it happens all the time for economic reasons. I was talking to my dad awhile back (I forget on what subject exactly) but we were saying how cool it would be if we could invent something on par with the usefulness of this, and then sell it to big oil or someone like that for them to bury so we could retire :p It's an amusing pipedream for us, but I'd be shocked if stuff like that doesn't go on in the technological world.

I really hope this technology pans out; it would have all kinds of uses. However, I worry that for whatever reason, it won't. Anyone remember solar cell paint? I read about that a few years ago, but I haven't seen one thing come of it yet. Maybe it has and I'm just not aware of it. I'm hoping in 5 or 10 years I'm not saying to somebody in another thread, 'Hey, remember those self-assembling solar cells? Too bad those never saw the light of day.'

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Another really great thread here. And that link you posted, wow. Painting your
Cars and Bikes would be so cost effective, would love a bottle of that stuff!

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

Yeah, I don't know about specific examples of technological suppression, but I'm sure it happens all the time for economic reasons. I was talking to my dad awhile back (I forget on what subject exactly) but we were saying how cool it would be if we could invent something on par with the usefulness of this, and then sell it to big oil or someone like that for them to bury so we could retire :p It's an amusing pipedream for us, but I'd be shocked if stuff like that doesn't go on in the technological world.

I really hope this technology pans out; it would have all kinds of uses. However, I worry that for whatever reason, it won't. Anyone remember solar cell paint? I read about that a few years ago, but I haven't seen one thing come of it yet. Maybe it has and I'm just not aware of it. I'm hoping in 5 or 10 years I'm not saying to somebody in another thread, 'Hey, remember those self-assembling solar cells? Too bad those never saw the light of day.'

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric

The uses for this sort of technology would be awesome for Spaceship use...

But think about it for remote cities around the world...
places that do not have power plants supplying their electricity...
heck... if they even have electricity...

a great step forward in my opinion... something that actually could benefit mankind

I would like to have a bunch of this stuff... so when the apocalypse happens...
and society ends... I can still use my microwave and Bunn coffee pot

ohhhhh I would prolly have nothing to microwave or any coffee left
damn

but still wouldnt mind a bunch of this installed on my home

Thats not a bad idea at all. In case of power outages or plants just being inoperable then this could be the next step towards self reliance. Might even be able to make nuclear energy somewhat obsolete if this technology further advances. No more incidents like Fukushima.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Might even be able to make nuclear energy somewhat obsolete if this technology further advances. No more incidents like Fukushima.

Now that would be something to celebrate!

top topics

join