It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Babies Given Anti-Obesity Drugs In Womb (insane)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Babies to be given diet drug in the womb to stop them being born overweight in trial described as ‘disturbing’ by weight loss groups.

One hundred obese mums-to-be will be given Metformin as part of a three-year study to tackle obesity rates and reduce the number of difficult births.

Patients at Liverpool Women's Hospital will be given the drug to reduce the food supply to their unborn babies, although it will not help the mums themselves to lose weight.

Leading the trial, senior lecturer in obstetrics, Dr Andrew Weeks, said: "It is about trying to improve outcomes in pregnancy for women who are overweight.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 12-5-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

i mean like-- how did they know they were going to be Babes???

fine hot chicks are breeded not just born...

edit on 5/12/11 by darrman because: oh ,,,,,,,,
lol Babies,,,,,,,, not babe's....oops

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If it works then I support it 100%

I'll be keeping eyes on this, I would definitely sign up for it for my next child

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
...eugenics, anyone? Very unfair to treat unborn babies that way, let alone growing babies and children! They didn't ask for it and probably will be born with some kind of birth defect or numerous.
How about having the "mums loose weight" or have a better diet and exercise program, instead, will help overall with the child before birth as well as the mum(less cases of diabetes for ex.)
edit on 13-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: correcting

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Patients at Liverpool Women's Hospital will be given the drug to reduce the food supply to their unborn babies, although it will not help the mums themselves to lose weight.

Food? Is that what these brainiacs think is the cause for obesity?
People eat like crazy and gain weight because they have a genetic condition, not the other way around.
This would have been better if they were treating the babies instead of trying to starve them.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
utterly disgusting! what the hell is wrong with British people??

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

Well...no, it's not a genetic condition causing childhood obesity. If so, we would have seen it just as prevalent in the earlier part of last century. It has more to do with a predisposition that is determined by the mother's own metabolism and dietary habits.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Keep in mind, guys, this is a study. Nobody is forcing these women to take inject Metformin into their wombs. Regardless of whether it works or not, I just don't see it ever becoming a common treatment.

top topics

join