It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sniper Weapons vs. Small arms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
E_T

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

EDIT - Is that laser on the M29 infra-red? What is its maximum effective range?

The laser has to be IR for it not to bee seen. I’m not sure of the range of the laser but the maximum range at which the air burst grenade can be used is 300-400m. You cant use the delayed explosion unless your laser works a those distances, so im guessing the rage of it somewhere between 300-400m. i could be wrong anyone got info on this?

www.globalsecurity.org...
Range: 20MM - 1,000 meters,
Well, maybe in really indirect/"ballistic" mode

And about topic, it would entirely depend on situation, in open terrain like in big central Europe countries it would be definitely some sniper, maybe "light fifty" or some .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6 x 70 mm) caliber rifle which would be much lighter/less bulky which would make it much easier to carry and it should still have nice punch.
www.nammo.com...
www.snipercentral.com...
After all, ability to get away fast is always good.

For terrain like here in Finland, choise would be definitely assault rifle, about two thirds of Finland is covered by different forests with absolute maximum visibility about 200 meters so with sniper you would be definitely screwed.
This silenced russian assault rifle might be also nice:
world.guns.ru...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Although I have never shot the new 50 cal sniper rifle I have heard a lot of good things about it

You are wrong about conditions not mattering they are the second MOST important item behind skill with whichever weapon you choose.

Having said that I would choose the 50 for distance and for close up I prefer a 12 gauge combat shotgun and for REAL close up either the colt 45 or my custum made Gurkia

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpockO_o
Blah
You guys are arguing over Pee Shooters
50 CAL Sniper Rilfe

All You need is distance and a good aim and BAM

[edit on 07/13/2004 by SpockO_o]

that is one BIG gun.

I wanna see the statistics and stuff on that sucker.

Looks just a LITTLE heavy, wouldnt you agree?

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Yeah the Gun weighs in at about 32.5lbs,notice the nice handle to carry it

Caliber: .50 BMG
Magazine: 10-shot detachable box magazine
Barrel: 29"
Weight: 32.5 lbs
Length: 57" overall
Stock: Composite with Sorbothane recoil pad.
Sights: Scope with ironsights.
Max Eff. Range 1830 meters
Features:

Believe it or not, the M82A1 is not that bad to shoot. The spotter actually suffers more than the shooter (Due to the muzzle brake sending the concussion out and back, usually right into the spotters face)

Some people do not consider .50 BMG rifles true sniper rifles, they are much too large and heavy to be carried easily and effectively while a sniper team operates. I do feel they have an important role and should be in the inventory, but don't fool yourself into thinking they are an everyday sniper rifle. Use them when the mission dictates, which might include overwatch positions (where little movement is involved), defensive positions, small hunter teams searching hard targets (where more then just the sniper team goes out), etc

UPDATE The US Army has officially adopted the M82A1 as their special purpose long range sniper rifle. Believe it or not, a bolt action won the trials but for reasons not entirely clear, the US Army decided to adopt the M82A1M (The M has a few modifications over the USMC M82A3). The official designation for the rifle is XM107 Long Range Sniper Rifle. The max effective ranges are listed as 1500 meters at materiel targets, and 1000 meters at personnel.

People have made kill shots a longer ranges then these stated with the 50.BMG recently a canadain sniper Made a kill at about 2,500 meters I think

[edit on 3-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
MP-5N baby...silenceable, compact, has good stopping power w/ the right ammo; one of the few overseas weapons designed for the US military, adn we still use the you-know-what outta that baby. I'm partial, but that is definitely the weapon of choice for me in CQB.
Regular stuff, where you might be firing close up or hundreds of yards off, I'll take our M-16A4, and for one big reason. Rail sights. We had Marines in Iraq firing effectively at over 1000 yards with different sights. Tell me that's not a good weapon and I won't even bother to argue the point, I'm jsut gonna laugh. Its a big improvement over a weapon that was good to begin with.

Long distances? F!@# yeah, gimme a .50cal sniper rifle. But you might as well just use a darn mortar or something for all the noise it makes.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Believe it or not they make a silencer for the 50.cal rifle, Though I never heard of a military using a 50.cal SD yet. You can buy them

AWC Turbodyne .50 cal Silencer
$1,599.00 On Sale!

Extreme recoil reduction - more effective than any muzzle brake design. Eliminates the need for the shooter and observer to wear hearing protection. Removable, mounts to the muzzle brake threads. Can be custom fitted to most 50 caliber rifles. Custom fabricated to your specific rifle- usually without additional charges, done by AWC.

They sound pretty much like the Air brake on a semi-truck. Which is nothing compared to a MP-5 SD, but good for a 50.cal

www.impactguns.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
It�s on sale! I wonder how many rounds it takes before the baffles are blown out of it.

Anyone know what standard MP5SD load is? I was under the impression that it was a 9x19 handgun load. I know the local cops moved up to a .357 or .45 because the 9mm didn�t have enough stopping power. But, CAG/Delta and the SEALs use them so they must be effective. Maybe the increased barrel length on a rifle provides better penetration. That�s another gun I would love to get my hands on, but I most likely will never get a class three stamp. That, and the cost of acquiring a civilian one is pretty steep ($7000+?).

Is the barrel on the OICW only 10 inches long? From what I�ve read, it looks like the HE part of the gun is it�s primary function, and the 5.56 stuff is just in case somebody gets in close. I think a 5.56 round is good out to 1000+ meters, but with a 10 inch barrel I can�t imagine that it would be accurate past 300. If it is that short, I bet it is LOUD, especially with NATO loads.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join