It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worse Than China? U.S. Government Wants To Censor Search Engines And Browsers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
act.demandprogress.org...

They rewrote the bill to "give it teeth" and added to the blacklist. It would cause isp's and search engines to censor any website the doj decides should be unavailable in the us, in addition to letting the doj add websites any copyright holder could make an infringement claim to get a website added to the list. Currently there are 325,000 websites on the list and the number would no doubt go up. If you are curious, that is 2.8% of english websites to start with and 11x the number of websites blocked in china.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Actual info on the topic located here-
PCWorld

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
How proud our forefathers must be.

For the past 20 years the administration has been pissing on the Constitution and wiping their butts with the Bill of Rights - We may as well rename the country to the 'United States of Profit or GTFO'

WE, the US are THE number one nation in many respects - THE number one superpower, yet we are behind in infrastructure, medical, economy, et al.

I have no reservations admitting that this country is turning into a total piece of crap and its not because of other nations, we are doing it to ourselves. And by 'we' I mean the people voted 'in charge', not the 310 million people suffering from their incompetence and greed.

Would be nice if George Washington could rise from the grave, observe what a mess his (and obviously others) nation has become, and lay a beatdown on the idiots driving it into the ground.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Abe with an AK-47 wouldn't hurt either.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Joking of course;

Where is the blacklist available for viewing?
edit on 12-5-2011 by FTD Brat because: grammar fix

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
i hope people sign the petition. this bill needs killing.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

It was submitted to congress so it should be available to the public. I dont have it handy anywhere for viewing though nor have I found it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This bill actually came up for vote last year and was voted down. It was 200k or so websites at the time.

The republicans took it, added the ability for corporations to add to the list, increased the number of sites, reworded a couple parts to make the bill more binding, and resubmitted it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
And this is the same government we should trust with "Internet neutrality"?

Ah when true colors are exposed.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Day after day I see this Country becoming more of a fascist police state who's government wields more power over its people than nations like China and Nazi Germany, heck ever North Korea is going to look like "the land of the free" over the next couple years. This is really getting out of hand.

So lets recap. The government can take ANY US citizen, and throw them in a secret prison for the REST OF THEIR lives with NO trial, rights, or anything whatsoever.

The government can MURDER it's own citizens perfectly legally and you can't do anything about it.

The government can control 100% of what the MSM shows.

The government labels people who disagree with them as terrorists or extremists.

The government can spy on ANY US citizen with no warrant, and there is NOTHING anybody can do about it.

The government controls what we put in our bodies, who we associate with, where we travel, and HOW we travel. With NO trail or anything to do these things to you.

Now the government will censor the internet MORE than China does!

WAKE UP PEOPLE! How is the US NOT like Nazi Germany? Anybody? I always get people scoffing at the idea and calling me ridiculous or cliche for stating this. But it is FACT. You and I have NO rights whatsoever. The government can take our property, rights, freedom, and even our LIVES with NO reason at all! The end of this country has already happened. we live in a dictatorship. NOBODY in this country is free, except the elites.

I would LOVE for someone to try and debate me on this, but you can't. Everything I have stated is true, you know it, but you don't want to accept it. The USA as we used to know it is GONE, DESTROYED. RIP USA.

No, I am not being dramatic, I am being honest. If you are too cowardly to accept the truth don't whine and call me names because of it. Wake up or shut up.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

James1982 i have an excellent person in my life that has taken much time and patience to help me understand a plethora of things over the past 1 - 1 1/2 yrs. months ago he commented that America is the Fourth Reich. i'm a big fan of TV documentaries on the Nazi days of Germany, they are broadcast almost daily on cable.

i saw an excellent documentary where an interviewer and a single cameraman spoke with random people throughout Europe to hear their thoughts on what is taking place in America. many refused to go on film for fear of backlash. many others spoke their minds on what they have been seeing taking place for the past few years, and there was a common theme that came forward as the show progressed. multiple people wanted to warn Americans that what is taking place here already happened in their past, and there was true hell that they paid. there are many people abroad who are in fear for their loved ones in America.

James1982 it took me a while to realize what my genius metalhead friend stated months ago. he is right. and you are right too. America is the Fourth Reich and an incredible amount of people are suffering because of it. my only comfort is that my WWII Veteran Marine Dad is deceased already. it would break his heart and kill his spirit to see what this country has become.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
To add to that the USA what's to be the head of the NAU to run the hole continent.
That's right and run Mexico and Canada as well, just think cheep labor on one side and all of the oil and stuff on the other what more would they want.

The big surprises are still to come, this is just the start of the hole thing.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Excellent thread! I have been trying to warn people for some time that this was coming - and yes, even more is on the way. But most people are so complacent, they think that because they're not doing anything illegal as far as they're concerned, that it won't affect them, so it becomes a non-issue in their minds. This is the true purpose of the euphemism "Net Neutrality", it boils down in simple terms to Corporate/Government run Internet - no choice/no freedom.

Just think what will happen one day when people that yawned at the mention of this issue, turn on their computers and the only thing they can find are government/corporate run websites telling them about all the absolutely fantastic things politicians and big businesses are working tirelessly to accomplish on behalf of the sleeping masses.

Enjoy ATS and your freedom of speech while you still can, oh, and stars and flags for you my friend, while they still wave.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

If you have never read Jim Marrs book about the issue (which I'm assuming you probably already have) I'd suggest picking it up immediately. I wouldn't say it was an eye opener for me since I already knew enough to see what was happening, but his book added a whole additional dimension and depth to the idea, and showed how it was true in more of the financial/corporate way, as opposed to just just the way of seeing what is going on.

People always ask how the German people could have LET the Nazi party take over their country. Well, American's will have first hand knowledge of how this happened. The German people weren't evil then, just like the American people aren't evil right now. Few people actually know or support what is happening, just like few actually knew and supported what was going on back then.

Look at a central theme that gave the Nazis power: blaming everything on the Jews. What is the American government doing right now? Blaming middle eastern and muslim people. We call them "terrorists" They are the new jews. They will get people riled up enough to give away their freedoms, and to allow their government to commit horrible atrocities.

You think the German citizens knew about concentration camps? You think the German citizens were actually aware of the full scope of what was happening with the Nazis? Of course not. Just like very few Americans are aware of what is happening right now. I'm sure NONE of us know the full extent of the horrible things our government is doing right now. Torturing and killing people is probably MUCH more "popular" among the government than we even know.

The American citizens will be judged by time just like the German citizens. "HOW COULD AMERICANS LET THIS HAPPEN?" People won't understand. But we will, because we were alive when our country fell to the fourth reich. It will happen because people are turned into apathetic, ignorant, mindless zombies that do what they are told and punished if they ask questions.

What's funny is that during the rise of the Nazis they didn't have anyone to compare them too. Now days when a government gets out of hand and starts doing horrible things, we can all instantly yell "Nazis!" and people get EXACTLY what we mean. They may not agree, but they understand what we are saying.

What would the German people have had to compare what their country was becoming? It SHOULD be so much easier for people NOW to see the path we are on, and where it leads, but most are still too blind.

Like you said history is repeating itself, but nobody is paying attention. America is going to war with the world, demonizing a group of people in order to perpetuate those wars, violating the rights of not only its own citizens, but the human rights of people around the world.

What's scary is there is nobody to stop it. During WWII they had to go up against the might of the USA, Russia, and the rest of Europe. Now everyone is in on it together. Who are the "allies" of today, that will stop the spread of evil across the globe?

The answer is US the people. We are the only ones that can stop this. But we are decades and billions of dollars behind, and have all but lost.

Now we are on the brink of an economic collapse. What happened in Germany again? The German people were poor and suffering so were happy to support anyone that promised to fix their problems. Sound familiar?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This is not a plan by The White House, The US Congress or The United States Federal Government as this is a push from TPTB to make sure no one ever learns about the real truth behind who they are, what they are and their end objectives mainly directed at sites like this.

The White House, The Federal Communications Commission, The US Congress already supports and endorses the time honoured tradition of Internet Network Neutrality which means the internet of today will be the same internet of tomorrow!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I live in a country where my internet usage is monitored & checked. I don't bother trying to click on certain links because I'll get a page that says "sorry, this page conflicts with the culture of this country and is not allowed". And your IP address is sent to the monitoring entity showing what you tried to look at.

These laws must be aggressively fought in the USA. It is the end of freedom.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I hope they don't blacklist the site holding the petition to kill it. I don't know - I think I'm just at the point of saying screw it. Lets give them all the rope they want.

This country is infested with parasites and they just keep stealing and stealing from us and all of these attempts to block them are just that - attempts. They will succeed because they don't care who they have to dumb down or kill to get control.

The only real solution is to activate the white blood cells in the body and deal with them but the body has to recognize them as a threat first.
edit on 5/13/2011 by ararisq because: Because the doesn't have a y.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Firefox created an extension to get around this, the Dept of Homeland Security told them to disable the feature and Firefox told them to shove it.
www.techdirt.com...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
I live in a country where my internet usage is monitored & checked. I don't bother trying to click on certain links because I'll get a page that says "sorry, this page conflicts with the culture of this country and is not allowed". And your IP address is sent to the monitoring entity showing what you tried to look at.

Which country are you in? I feel for you. I wonder how ATS doesn't conflict with the culture of government supremacy?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
Firefox created an extension to get around this, the Dept of Homeland Security told them to disable the feature and Firefox told them to shove it.
www.techdirt.com...

That is a terrific response from Mozilla. I kept imaging the DHS pinhead screaming at the e-mail "YOU SERVE ME THATS WHY! DO AS YOUR TOLD! BOSS WHY CAN'T WE JUST BAN FREEDOM?"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join