It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time for the young to take over !

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Ok, lets do this.
I am sure that your generation could not do much worse than mine has done, or could they?
I see the problem as a gradual creep towward oblivion, in time your generation will take over and your generation will be corrupted by greed.
I wish there was a fixall but I see so many problems with the world and not many looking to solve them.
But good for you for being concerned and thinking of some sort of a solution.Something is better than nothing.
By the way I love your avatar!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Idealism and open-mindedness are wonderful things. Society could use a little more of both.

However, reality is not ideal. With age and wisdom, you learn that focusing your energy and time on idealism you forget or miss opportunities to simply function or improve what is. Likewise, being too open-minded slows down forward progress and leads to wasted resources as everything goes lateral.

The youth and their idealism serve their purpose by giving a poke and a nudge to the older wiser ones who can then take those ideas and do something right. Unfortunately, without people of virtue, it doesn't mean a thing. We spiral down to destruction.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My generation is insane. Utterly insane. And you want us to lead the world? the world would be nuked to pieces in days. The older generation is making mistakes now, but they would pale in comparison to what my gen would do. I really don't want to think about this anymore, it's too scary.
Most of us have a lot more growing up to do before being ready to lead.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thislifetimeismine

ok here is where i see the problem coming from.
My signature below says I used to be young and dumb.
I was serious when I wrote that.
When I was 8, my Dad was GOD, He knew everything.
When I was 18 in that 10 year span, my Dad got dumb, as I knew all of the answers and he was obviously wrong.
When I was 28 I realized that maybe Dad wasn't as dumb as I had originally thought.
You see where I'm going I hope.
They are young and dumb for the most part, but with proper obstacles they will be just fine.
Just not right now.
Peace.

edit on 12-5-2011 by g146541 because: age

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Keep this in mind our generation didnt go to school with guns and kill each other, and you want to run the world. Give me a break, we already have one community organizer with no experience and we see how this is working out. Might be a time for reflection.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

I'm with you

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by professornurbs
Give me a break, we already have one community organizer with no experience and we see how this is working out.

HA!

You really caught me off guard with that one. Now you'll pardon my while I clean the beverage I just sprayed from my keyboard.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

The solution would be for nobody in major power to be over 30. Maybe you could make a few exeptions, but basically after 30, that's it. You retire or become a "consultant" or "advisor" maybe. (I'm only talking about positions of real power here -- Washington, Wall Street, Fortune 500 CEOs, etc. People who own their own little stores or businesses or who have jobs like doctors, teachers, janitors, etc...no change with age).

Hmmm... and hmmm again...

Excuse me while I try to get a few of these tried old brain cells to spark a little.

Well first off. No body in major power after 30. But it would quite ok for the aged and decrepit to teach you and your children or heal you when you are sick??

That's the plan right?

heh heh heh heh heh heh

Sure - and how long would it be before the corrupt 30+ crowd got tired of your shenanigans and simply taught your kids to hate you and rebel at every turn? Oh, since a doctor isn't a position of power we might just forget and prescribe something that would kill you off. These old brains just ain't what they used to be so I don't see how we could be blamed.

If you didn't think of that then perhaps there is a flaw in your logic?? I didn't think that was possible since you are so young?

The treachery of old age often trumps the exuberance of youth.

One last point to ponder. As of late ATS has seen a thread like this about every 2 weeks. What is it you young folks say?? Obvious troll is obvious.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Frogs because: me 2 old to use gud grammer all the time

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

blah blah blah I've head it before...

Our brains are configured in a different way because we have grown up with technology. Technology has accelerated us to the next level of reality.

Already its a well-known phenomenon:

www.indigochild.com...

These are the people who will save us!

Are you serious!?

Here is one of your indigo's in action.

www.blip.tv...
"Sales Guy Vs. Web Dude"

/sarcasm
Yeah, a lot of help and aces at taking responsibility.

David Grouchy
edit on 12-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Our brains are configured in a different way...
www.indigochild.com...

According to wikipedia, the "indigo child" was invented in the 1970's.
Or to put it another way, a hypothetical indigo child of 5 years old in 1975 is now 41 years old.

Some of your saviours are the very ones you want to put on the trash heap.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You know, whether young or old, I wish people wouldn't paint everyone with such a broad brush.

The youth of today will do nothing because they are to scared to lose the material possessions that own them.

Revolution?

No, I could go to prison and lose my x-box.

I am not saying that there are not individuals my age who would not do something, but where do we start? Most of us cannot even agree on what the problem is, let alone the solution.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

There are diamonds in the rough, but yes, in general compare a handful of young people now, and young people decades ago....pretty big difference. Teenagers were fighting WWII and what are the troubles of current teens?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

Todays children are worried that Lady Gaga might have a yoo hoo. There its on the table for all to see, thats right I said it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by professornurbs
reply to post by Turq1

Todays children are worried that Lady Gaga might have a yoo hoo. There its on the table for all to see, thats right I said it.

See? How old are you?

It's 'Woo-Hoo!'

lol

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

The solution would be for nobody in major power to be over 30. Maybe you could make a few exeptions, but basically after 30, that's it. You retire or become a "consultant" or "advisor" maybe. (I'm only talking about positions of real power here -- Washington, Wall Street, Fortune 500 CEOs, etc. People who own their own little stores or businesses or who have jobs like doctors, teachers, janitors, etc...no change with age).

Hmmm... and hmmm again...

The treachery of old age often trumps the exuberance of youth...

I snipped out some of that as quoted but oh Frogs you're killing me with these. Zing!
I would add that along with that treachery you speak of in older folks we also have a lot of patience and craft - deferring rewards until such a time as we get maximum result is also one of our little time earned advantages.

edit on 12-5-2011 by ChrisCrikey because: edited for spelling mistake

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

This sounds exactly what I thought when I was in my 20-30s.

Don't trust anyone over 30.
Didn't happen then, won't happen now.
And, in the late 60s-early 70s, the young were far more organized as a group, were far more political.

I don't see any of that happening now.
Maybe it's too much technology, cell phone use, IM, FB, tweets.

edit on Thu May 12 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: and I cannot speel

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Whomever says that education trumps experience hasn't lived a day in the real world. And bottom line it's one of two reasons why elected officials are in the 30+ group.

However once you hit 40 experience gives way to being jaded and stubborn (I'm 42 and can already unfortunately see these changes in myself). And once that happens you become set in your ways and less open to new ideas. We get used to the way things are and because life is short we fear change. But life is about change and the world is constantly changing around us. Simple Darwinism at it's best - adapt or perish.

With that said however the solution needs to be somewhere in the middle. It's not about getting the younger 20-30 somethings in office. You kids have some awesome ideas but they need to be tempered with experience. The solution would be to keep the old guard from becoming career politicians which allows our country to stagnate on policies, ideals, and growth. One simple thing would solve this but I don't EVER foresee it happening and that's term limits for ALL federal office positions - senate, congress, and supreme court judges. Keep new fresh blood flowing in but tempered with experience.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I do think the youth of today, our leaders of tomorrow, should consider the advantages guidance from mentors will bring to their real world education and the older crowd would do well to listen to what the younger crowds are speaking about. We are all in this together (oh and Gen X, Number 1)

edit on 12-5-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

And your generation is full of cynical, egotistical people that wanted so bad to emulate their parents, that they later BECAME their parents.

And normally I see your posts as some of the more thoughtful and insightful ones in the threads I read. It's ok, I won't hold this one assinine statement against you.

You're refering to the boom generation, most of which is already dead.

Here are some numbers

Prior to gen-x: 100 million people.
After gen-x: 150 million people.
Gen-x: 50 million people.

There is a generational war alright, and you aint it.

We were told that we didn't have enough experience. So we never got a chance to rule or change things. Now that the boomers have finally started to give up the top positions they have reached right over the heads of my generation and brought up the new ones. And now the old timers are dead or dying.

And suddenly your massive generation has decided to blame the previous one. But like a blind person with a machine gun you are shooting at the wrong people. Don't make me hate you.

David Grouchy
edit on 12-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

What's wrong with being idealistic and open-minded?

How come you're open-minded except when it comes to learning math,
or listening to the experience of previous generations.
What you call open-minded I call
emotional tyrany.

David Grouchy

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join