It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time for the young to take over !

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As a species is challenged it adapts and evolves. I believe we will see the time when our species is challenged, I also believe we have all the tools necessary to continue on and flourish. Now if we can just get some extra-terrestrial input.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

we would languish and die?, we arent in the stone age buddy....whats so hard about sharing, being good to your fellow man, knowing right from wrong?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

"Whats that one saying about a pot and a kettle, one calls one of them black or something? Someone over 40 help me out?" quote from above.

Sorry Mate, but the "help me out" part really throws me. Haven't you realized yet that the Oldsters already aren't helping you out? Further, do you have any reason to expect that the Oldsters will "help" you in the future? Not likely.

We're not talking 20's and 30's, but four generations which have failed to take advantage of what was offered; and surely their children aren't going to do any batter either, and probably do much worse. It's a downward spiral so that even if todays children aspired to be more, there's no one to bring them up to higher standards even if they knew how to ask. Which they clearly don't.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadBLACK
we would languish and die?, we arent in the stone age buddy....whats so hard about sharing, being good to your fellow man, knowing right from wrong?

What is wrong with them?

They are all based on perception. We all have differing perspectives.

So, a better question would be, why is conflict wrong?

Nature exhibits conflict. Infact, every known lifeform exhibits conflict. It is only humanity that has the arrogance to call it wrong.

Maybe it is designed in to provide us a continually source of change, of anarchy, so that we continue to evolve?

Maybe it is a mistake?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
This is the funniest thread ever! And proof that with age comes wisdom, the older peoples remarks are 10X funnier than what you little kids can come up with...

yes there arrogance is quit supreme.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The differences between 20 and 40 and 60 are significant, but they may not be so important in comparison to those who are able to benefit from more than one lifetime's experience.

No, I'm not talking New Age reincarnation nonsense. But there are people who do accrue the advantages of multiple generations. They are often the wealthy, and some of the most powerful people in the world. We often like to call them the "elite", and the nobility is probably the best example of what I mean.

We might do better arguing about whether "their" considerable collective experience would do the world more good, but because many of us realize that it was they who really screwed the pouch, the point might be moot.

It wasn't the Boomers, or Gen this or that. It's "them", it's been them, it is them, and it likely will remain them.

No doubt a century from now, the great-grand-daughter of the bodaciously beautiful Partygirl, will be rallying her young generation to fight the older generation, once again conveniently placing blame on some segment of the despicable herd of nasty proles.

Meanwhile, the great-grandson of William "The Great" will be enjoying a hearty laugh as he toasts his new brides. Billions will watch the extravaganza, around the globe, and when it's over, will continue on as before...

"It's the Democrat's fault. It's the Progressives, or the Conservatives fault. It's the older generation! It's the Chinese! It's..."

JR
edit on 13-5-2011 by JR MacBeth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Well if you want to take over then go ahead and do it..

...what's that..your washing your hair tonight....Ok, tomorrow then...what, you're going out with your friends to see a movie...umm ok, what about the day after that..nope. your going shopping.

If the young can get their act together for more than 5 minutes i would be impressed.

If you think you're big enough, smart enough, bring-it.

Cosmic...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

lol, conflict to evolve....maybe, who knows, life is a mystery, but just ask yourself the basic question, wouldnt the world be a much nicer place to be in if we were just lol, nicer to each other? this thread already divided young and old...IMO i think the older folks should be out of power, there should be no power system, just everything we have minus the drama

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
"With age comes focus, and whether you like it or not, that is why most buisnesses/governments/agencies/etc. are not run by 20-somethings. If that was the case we would probably be up to world war 37 by now because of a facebook insult by Gaddafi"

...Just so you know, my statement above is called SARCASM, not a literal attack against your social site of gold. (More sarcasm....)

be realistic...the mayor of my old hometown is barely just over 20..he has a facebook and i highly doubt he would even reply to a comment from someone insulting him,...you make it sound as if the OP was talking about letting just any younger person into a place of power.

1. This actually suprised me. I'd love to know the name of this town because unless it has a population of a Burger King Staff, I don't know of any 20-somethings that hold mayoral positions. Care to share?

2. I was speaking as to the the GENERAL statements made by the OP in regards to grouping ALL people over 30 into a "retired old fart" status. [There's that sarcasm again] You make assumptions, and as us OLD GUYS know, when you assume, you make an A** out of you and me.

What? where did you get that facebook has anything to do with being a mayor, i was responding to a womans comment, i am new on here and dont know how to quote someone elses words, she said something about facebook, gosh man, just go back and read...your a waste of time trying to explain or are you just trying to be a prick

1. I am NOT a woman. This is exactly the kind of thing that happens when you make assumptions, as I stated above. I didn't mention in my post in ANY WAY my gender and if I was a father or mother, so how do you automatically assume I'm a woman?

2. You really should get some counseling. It appears to me that you might have some anger issues. Especially since you've spent the last several pages flexing your "Reply-To Fury" towards other members because you have failed to fulfill anything you THOUGHT you might end up doing. When you say things like this:

blah blah blah, your a prick, you just justify it with all your fancy talk, shaddap, (i will too) if you dont understand me, and dont want to try, than you dont have to reply to MY comments

Part of the problem is that you have failed, just like almost every person before you has, and while we have learned from our experiences, you revell in your failures and use them as a crutch like this:

like i said, i dont have the desire to learn the mechanics of spelling and grammer, seeing as the new gen is txt type savvy anyways...i know for a fact i am dumb in mathematics..but thats besides the point, im just saying

...You end up wading in perpetual stupidity and therefore lose all credibility with anyone other than your family when you say things like this:

i aint got neither tha brains or the means to convey my thoughts into type, ill just sound dumb, but i really think you cant run away from anything anymore, thats why the older people are getting so hyped up..they just dont have an open mind

The only thing that us "Old People" get so hyped up about is when people like you make snap judgements, and assumptions (Which is one thing do frequently), and there-by make yourself sound stupid. You don't have to be where you are. Not all of us are where we pictured we would be, I know I'm not and there are millions of people out there like you and me, REGARDLESS OF AGE.

Look at my post and really think about what I said, because you are epitomizing what I was trying to point out; that you lack the focus necessary to make happen what you need to happen for your life to be successful and happy to the fullest extent.

Young adults from 18-26 think the know it all, some of them have great ideas, but they lack the focus necessary to make it happen right the first time, or at all.

....People make mistakes, and those who don't listen to their parents because they think they know everything end up repeating the same mistakes that their parents made. This is the reason they tell you! They have learned what to do and what not to do and they are trying to guide you so that you will be able to have a head start,

If you had listened to what other people had tried to tell you, (and hopefully for your sake they did) then you might not be in the mess you are in. This is not to say that your life is worthless and that where you are now is the end, it is merely a rite of passage to the next stage in your adulthood. YOU WILL CHANGE AGAIN. Many times over. I am trying to point that out to you just as many other people are trying to get through to you as well, but all you can see is your failures, which clouds your judgements and makes you angry.

TRY to use proper punctuation, grammar and syntax, it will help you whether you realize it or not. You will naturally develop a more proper way about you and people will respond to it. FOCUS your attention not on what you didn't or can't do, but in what you want and make it happen.

And for everything I have said, the most important thing is still this:

Stop Making Assumptions!

Trust me and every other older person out there when we tell you that life isn't over, things will get better no matter how scary it seems right now, you will change and evolve to a new stage, and you will attain your focus. Maybe then you will realize what I'm saying now is just as true as when you will have to say the same thing to your child.

...and believe me, eventually........You will.

King

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

and what did you ever do to help change the situation, sit at your 'puter bitching about stuff like this?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
To the OP, are you flippin kidding me? Life is about many things, part of that being able to make mistakes and learn from them. Just because you were raised on technology doesn't mean you have good character or good judgement. In fact, most of this technology has made young people distracted, undisciplined, lazy, egotistical and arrogant.

I am about to turn 49. Life is just beginning again as my teens are almost on their own and I get to start over. I'm studying nursing, so is my 24 year old daughter. Guess which one of us has the higher GPA? ME! I'm in the top of my class. I love my daughter, she is very smart, works hard for her grades, but, life has taught me way more than she has experienced and I just know more than she does. It's a fact of life that aging brings wisdom, which your very statements show you are lacking. In fact, aging adults are reveered in all cultures, except maybe here in this country, with people like you ready to dismiss us demented old people. How stupidly selfish of you.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by righteousxcore

You are 100% correct. I could not offer you anything of a better life, because you would have to drop the innocence of youth and the safety of naiveity. Doing this, your eyes would be open to the world in which you live and the problems you hear about or read about on the internet - maybe problems you don't even realize exist - bringing your happy go lucky world to a halt. Sorry for the assumptions about you, even though you are unapologetic and confrontational with the assumptions you have made about me.

Depression may set in and instead of giving you a hand-out ticket to a better life, I would in-fact be making your life much worse. However, it might be better to learn some of this knoweldge while you are relatively young, so you will not have a complete mental/nervous breakdown when it dawns on you later.

Really though, I am sure you are a decently intelligent person, surely smart enough to know that a generation, younger or older, is no better or more intelligent than the other. Experience is the dividing factor and wins over idealist youth every time.

When you have one of the geriatrics ask you a question about the internet or wi-fi, do you immediately assume that, because they do not know something that you do, they are generally dumb and know nothing that you do not already know?

edit on 13-5-2011 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by righteousxcore
As a species is challenged it adapts and evolves. I believe we will see the time when our species is challenged, I also believe we have all the tools necessary to continue on and flourish. Now if we can just get some extra-terrestrial input.

Nice 'pie in the sky' but if you look closely... "our species is [being] challenged' at this moment... and very seriously. We have the tools but we've forgotten how to use them and now the momentum of the past 40 years is carrying us to "where?" I doubt that "flourish" is anywhere in that future.

The gene pool of humanity in America has been reduced nearly to mush and the average IQ is rapidly falling through the 90's. Comparing Lemmings to Monkeys insults the monkeys but the lemmings aren't smart enough to figure it out either. 90 IQ's don't go far but are still seen everywhere these days, but most especially in the youngsters.

Perhaps better to look inward rather than outward for the "input" you seek, and also, ask why anyone would want to help either Monkeys or Lemmings. That reality is one reason people have a bigger (but unconscious) stake in the 'End Days' instead of a future a few years down the road. Beware the synchronicity of group thought especially when the world is falling apart so fast.

The children of the generations raised by television are now upon us. No help coming from them for anybody, and no hope from the parents that produced them either. And when you think about it, those guilty parents will suffer for what they did to their kids. It's their future too. A good example of "what goes around comes around."

edit on 13-5-2011 by Brown Bear because: spelling

edit on 13-5-2011 by Brown Bear because: add spelling and content

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

if only you can put your full smarts like that into something that actually matters say like, politics where its greatly needed...more CT'ists in politics, than maybe well get somewhere, instead of wasting probably an hour to point out that im whatever it is you want to call me
as for the town, its called la ronge, saskatchewan canada, and i could care less about politics, politics nowadays is a joke and has nothing to do with what it was invented for...if that makes sense...again old timer, FAIL...like i said, put your effort into something that matters..OR shaddap

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Do you think that the youth can lay down their cell phones, lap tops, and ipods long enough to start a revolution? I don't mean to be rude, but the majority of the youth I see today, don't care about anything but themselves and their material things. They haven't a clue. The youth were outside cheering Osama's death. Most of the youth are asleep in their lives. Not all, but most.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The OP needs reminding of the 60s hippies who left the communes and ended up exploiting the 80s for quick money. Ditto the 90s & 2000s with the dot com bust and housing bubble, respectively. The problem with the young is the lack of the experience of living through the cycles, which leads to a willingness to tread the same paths that lead to where we are now. No matter how idealistic one might be, money corrupts. Family obligations and bills lead to apathy. Pile on more bills, obligations and an uncertain future, and you end up living with a general malaise. That tends to suck the idealism out of anyone.

I'm glad to hear the younger generation is getting fired up, but I don't hope for more than a temporary respite from the same downward trend. You can't get past human nature, and there is no end of those who are willing to exploit it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Well, her post reeked of ageism, and I'm not sure I appreciate all of her generalizations. She has a lot to learn yet.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

reply to post by peck420

just ask yourself the basic question, wouldnt the world be a much nicer place to be in if we were just lol, nicer to each other?

There will come a time in your life (if it hasn't already) where you will do everything in your power to be 'nice'. But, no matter what you wish for, or how you act, you will have to make a decision that will effect others. Some it will benefit, some it will harm. It is not how I 'wish' things could be, it's not how I 'want' things to be, it is how things are.

And this is not specific to people. This sort of decision could be born of natural disaster, of circumstance, even of good intentions and 'nice'.

this thread already divided young and old...IMO i think the older folks should be out of power, there should be no power system, just everything we have minus the drama

There are benefits to having people in power. They can provide direction, they can provide unity, and they can even, on occasion, provide inspiration. Unfortuantely, it is also a place that can provide corruption, tyranny, and chaos.

What we need to find is balance.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadBLACK

He's doing the same thing you are, but looking ten times less dumb in the process. I am "young", but for the sake of our generation, please stop talking.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
The differences between 20 and 40 and 60 are significant, but they may not be so important in comparison to those who are able to benefit from more than one lifetime's experience.

No, I'm not talking New Age reincarnation nonsense. But there are people who do accrue the advantages of multiple generations. They are often the wealthy, and some of the most powerful people in the world. We often like to call them the "elite", and the nobility is probably the best example of what I mean.

We might do better arguing about whether "their" considerable collective experience would do the world more good, but because many of us realize that it was they who really screwed the pouch, the point might be moot.

It wasn't the Boomers, or Gen this or that. It's "them", it's been them, it is them, and it likely will remain them.

No doubt a century from now, the great-grand-daughter of the bodaciously beautiful Partygirl, will be rallying her young generation to fight the older generation, once again conveniently placing blame on some segment of the despicable herd of nasty proles.

Meanwhile, the great-grandson of William "The Great" will be enjoying a hearty laugh as he toasts his new brides. Billions will watch the extravaganza, around the globe, and when it's over, will continue on as before...

"It's the Democrat's fault. It's the Progressives, or the Conservatives fault. It's the older generation! It's the Chinese! It's..."

JR
edit on 13-5-2011 by JR MacBeth because: (no reason given)

Very well said. One of the best posts in this thread. It's the Elite that have had the power to shape and extort from the world since the beginning. We, both young and old and still slave labor. Our cells are just decorated a little more beautifully. We bitch, moan, groan and point fingers while they continue to pillage and live life's of decadence.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join