It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time for the young to take over !

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

Originally posted by Brown Bear
Isn't this funny? 19 pages of near nothing in response to the delusions of a stupid little teenage (party?) girl. ... Why would anybody waste time on any of these worthless kids?

Because it is so amusing. In fact, several times my eyes have teared up from laughter. This is fun. After all, I'm old, semi-retired, and have nothing better to do. They are young and employable. I wonder why they aren't working.

Yup, pretty funny movie that's playing out and we're damn lucky to be around to enjoy it. Gee, I wonder why they aren't working as well, ha ha, but it probably wouldn't look like anything us oldsters would recognize as work anyway.
edit on 13-5-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I must say, judging from threads like this and 95% of the others I have seen here at ATS lately, they already have.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadBLACK

Well, it is more like wisdom and experience USED to come with age. But that is not so since consumer society became our God.

We have had a society in the West for decades which has actively promoted the idea that age has no value - youth is everything, old people should have a facelift and they should never act like grandmothers.

My wife grew up in the late seventies, her mom already used to tell her that they were equal and they were "like friends" not mother to daughter. This was Benjamin Spock's age and the first generation in my country that grew up with television. Many people younger than her call their mother and father by their FIRST NAMES.
100% of her friends' parents are divorced - basically for frivolous reasons like incompatible egos. They all watch TV every single night. And they all do their utmost to deny the reality of old age and death.

That is pitiful.

Well, you can pay respect to people like her parents solely for therapeutic and formal reasons but as persons and as generations... well... there are luckily some exceptions.
TV largely replaced their values. They (and we parents of twentysomethings - following them) created a society where young people are no longer taught to read a simple map - so they become dependent on GPS.

Who invented antidepressants?
Who started to give children Ritalin?

I bet they were not self-medicating.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm sorry to join the ones that 'rain on parades' but I have little faith in my generation (1985-1995) because we were born into the age of technology that allows us - No, scratch that - forces us into Attention Deficit or similiar systemic issues.
The problem is the entire population, not just the older generations.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
reply to post by Partygirl

I must say, judging from threads like this and 95% of the others I have seen here at ATS lately, they already have.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I think we're on the same page.. Just a few weeks ago ATS was trumpeting the increased enrollment but not acknowledging the explosion of kids posting. These days one really has to dig for an intelligent post. And personally, amusement is these kids only real contribution. And they're too dumb to know it. Funny huh?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HardyWhite
I completely agree. Our society worldwide needs to be completely restructured.

Okay, now I see all of these responses referring to people in school and college NOW. So that would be the 16-22 year olds? Yes. They are mostly very naive, and looking for handouts.. but not all of them!

I think it clearly says "20-30 year olds" which DOES make sense to me.

I am 27, and the general thought among me and my peers is we are fighting old grudges of the leaders from 20 years ago!!! Still going to war over OIL!?

I personally think a government based on philosophy, science, and art would be ideal. BY THE PEOPLE. FOR THE PEOPLE. Not based on archetypical religions that all contradict eachother, not to mention the major religious players just want to KILL eachother off! How does that benefit anyone as a whole!?

We need to advance beyond this rut we are stuck in and open our skies to greater things!

Peace. Happiness. Equality.

I just know that I am sick of pursuing happiness. It's time for all of us to bask in it.

Those hippies and others who grew up in the 60s said this exact same thing. They are now 60+. The basic desire today of wanting Peace, Equality, and Happiness has always been here. Nothing new to see. Making it happen is another story and the powers are very well entrenched and will resist at all costs. Those with power and wealth protect it for themselves. They do not want to share.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

why? if your on this site and worried that the powers that be are 'going to get you"...shouldnt i just give up on standard education and focus just on trying to change what you effed up? is my education in terms of spelling and punctuation of the utmost importance to you? get a life old man..quit attacking my literary intelligence(if thats the right word) and attack me up front...because i have never said anywhere that i was intelligent in that way..i used to get 100%'s on my spelling test in grade three so ,,!,,

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Let us not miss that the OP wrote exactly these lines:

"I respect age, I know and respect lots of old people, I hope to be one myself someday lol.
But let's face it, you people screwed up our world, bad.
And guess what else -- we are the ones who are going to have to deal with the mess!"

(quote from the opening post)

That was what I addressed in my posts here so far.

Some people react as if generational conflicts were always the same, from Roman times till the end of the world.

Well, they are not. You don't have to believe in astrology to realize that.

The hippies lived under the threat of the atomic war and the actuality of Vietnam. The possible annihilation of the whole world was certainly part of why some of them chose to throw away their parents' values (which were, BTW, a whole lot more solid than those of neo-capitalist consumer society now).

Now we have such a threat again. THAT is different from the revolt of some Western generations before - with the exception of the hippies who took '___' and moved into communes.

Something even more radical is coming along our way.
And I welcome it with open arms.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Older generations are locked in to believing that technology comes from Lucifer himself.

Not true. I love my Fein MultiMaster

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
and all you guys can do now is ask why im not working? i know your referring to me, i work shifts in the mine...no, i dont got the good paying jobs like my fellow mine employees, i am just a cook, the lowest paying job next to janitor..yet i work hard for my money like the next decent person. i do complain and someday when my daughter is a bit older, ima go back to school to get the education i need so i can be a heavy equipment operator or whatever...i dont really care, my main interest is music, but i am getting off topic, all im saying is, you older people say we have no respect when it is actually you who have no respect, and i bet you have biases towards other races...even if you dont admit it, and you know what races have to do with the problems of today and the system..anyways...what do YOU propose to do about it? laugh at people like me and attack my spelling or actually let me have a say? i am native american(canadian version lol) and i see problems all around me, another poster mentioned that people like you should have a say in how things should be changed or whatever, i see u just attcking my spelling... and buddying up to the guy who said why arent we working...your old and your acting like kids..do you not see this? this is a rant so sorry, like i said i am new hear but you people should have an open mind...thats why i wish to see a thread on "how would you do it?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
could someone from here make a thread on what would you do differently? i dont think i can...like nitewing insinuates, i am a complete idiot for not knowing how to post a thread on ATS

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by righteousxcore

Well I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought Religion into the conversation...

Did you really have to? Really? Why is it always Religion's fault? I bet those kids that frequently tape themselves beating the crap out of homeless are Athiests....

Let's not go here please..

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimusInvictus
I'm sorry to join the ones that 'rain on parades' but I have little faith in my generation (1985-1995) because we were born into the age of technology that allows us - No, scratch that - forces us into Attention Deficit or similiar systemic issues.
The problem is the entire population, not just the older generations.

I was born in 1989 and resent this for the simple fact, we are so capable and we live in a time where more and more opportunities are presenting themselves to us for a positive change. Im constantly reading about new technologies, new medicines, new ideas that dont hurt people, but promote us to a higher level of thinking and living. If you dont have faith in your generation, how are the older generations supposed to believe in us?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadBLACK

Man.. the reason we want you to spell properly, do mathematical equations properly, know the history of mankind (I doubt you learn from your mistakes..), read well and know the scientific process as well as the principles.. etc. is because we aren't a bunch of butt scratching neanderthals... Perhaps we shove this stuff down your throat because we know your going to be the one taking the reigns one day and figured maybe just maybe there should be someone to continue every field and perhaps humanity at large..

If the youth keeps on this path there will be no body left around capable of inventing the iPad 17....
edit on 13-5-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Awesome!! Then you agree, since the airplane wing has been around for quite some time, you can explain exactly how it works? It should be very simple for you to do... I imagine, if you don't know, you will just look it up using the internet.

How about the internal combustion engine?

Can you tell me why tires have belts in them? How about water treatment facilities, can you explain to me why people age? How about Solar Energy Cells... maybe you can explain how batteries work... since all of these things have been around for enough time to be understood... using your logic.

Like I said earlier, you will just use the internet to find the answers you do not know - which is what happens to those who are the generations growing up in the 'information age'

The problem is that you or your peers do not have to learn anything and keep it in memory. Go to the little screen and ask a question, cha-ching, there's your answer.

What happens after several generations of this? Some one, somewhere had to amass the compendium of current knowledge. When the path of least resistance is employed to gain all the quick answers and the learning process is demolished, changing personalities and decision making abilities for generations will cripple the future society as a whole.

The only hope for a future that endures this type of abuse is technology and computers themselves. Hopefully, before disaster is brought by the lack of real knowledge, a technological singularity will occur and make it OK for those who don't have the knowledge to keep the world operating at a productive, efficient, and overall desirable level.

The theory of a technological singularity has been around for sometime now.... can you please explain that to me, without searching it on the internet?

edit on 13-5-2011 by esteay812 because: Tyops

link   
reply to post by DaMod

why? you have to face it, religion is part of the problem...this thread just goes so many ways and the be honest, i aint got neither tha brains or the means to convey my thoughts into type, ill just sound dumb, but i really think you cant run away from anything anymore, thats why the older people are getting so hyped up..they just dont have an open mind.

link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Well I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought Religion into the conversation...

Did you really have to? Really? Why is it always Religion's fault? I bet those kids that frequently tape themselves beating the crap out of homeless are Athiests....

Let's not go here please..

Those kids are idiots. Every generation has them, the difference is the older generation chose them as leaders. (I use the term 'chose' loosely)

Science and religion go hand in hand in todays society. I have personal proof of this, I just havent wrote about it thus far. (its alot to type)

Lets not leave religion out of an equation when its a very important part. Even if its 'uncomfortable' to talk about.
Also note, I said religion not God.

link   
reply to post by thestink

Yes, you are right. The hippies WERE screaming the same thing - since never before did we have a hydrogen bomb.
However, the social revolt of the sixties was countered by neo-conservatism with the likes of Reagan and Thatcher.
And look where we are? The cold war and instant annihilation went away.

Now these kids grew up with the idea of the ozone hole, total environmental destruction - and neo-capitalism. Depleted Uranium and the war on Iraq.
Plus the economic crisis, no decent jobs but more debts
Their disillusionment will run deeper than that of the hippies.

Have you heard about a neat Japanese fishing town called Fukushima?
Just add it up.
What about the folks who sent Mubarak packing?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

There's always gotta be someone to pass down the knowledge gained by the previous generation to the next... How the hell do you think we came this far?

No sense re-inventing the light bulb every generation...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

hahaha, so it come down to material things for you than huh? why do i have to have math skills etc? ill leave that up to my smarter fellow youth, what happen to the good in someones? as for me ever taking the reigns, it doesnt take a rocket scientist t know the difference between right and wrong..first thing id do is destroy the oil companies and give back the people who really truelly need it, and mean really need it for means of survival, just thoughts like that yknow? like i said, i dont have the desire to learn the mechanics of spelling and grammer, seeing as the new gen is txt type savvy anyways...i know for a fact i am dumb in mathematics..but thats besides the point, im just saying, everything is based on power and greed i guess

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join