It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time for the young to take over !

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by CarlitosAmsel

The term comes from the Greek: δημοκρατία – (dēmokratía) "rule of the people", which was coined from δῆμος (dêmos) "people" and κράτος (Kratos) "power", in the middle of the 5th-4th century BC to denote the political systems then existing in some Greek city-states, notably Athens following a popular uprising in 508 BC.

No. thats not true. It is the lie with which we are being fooled. It never ment "The people", it ment a regional lot of people like those in a Village. It never meant the people of a nation and it never includet voting for voting only leads to the tyranny of the dumb and barbaric masses. There never existed a "ancient Greece", remember? We only had City states, regionally ruled, some friendly to each other, others in war with each other, but in any case, there has never been a ancient nation called Greece.
edit on 13-5-2011 by CarlitosAmsel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You asked to refute you...very well:

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE
The young have already taken over.
Todays comedians are pathic.

(nsfw - language)

Todays advertising makes me want to vomit.

Todays music is crap.

Well, that is all taste of course, less exposure will make you jaded a bit into thinking nothing good is coming out...however, thats just a matter of doing some research
Judging on your screen name, I am going to go under the general assumption that you are interested in some old rock sounds..so recommending the latest house music would fall flat on you, however, You might find some value in just...hell, sick puppies

Decent riffs, good pickup, etc...but here is where you need to list some types of styles in order for comparisons...if you simply deal with knowledge of music based on what some hoodrat is thumping in the car next to you, chances are, your missing out on pretty much everything (people whom truely enjoy their music have their windows rolled up to hear it, not roll the window down to annoy others.)

Todays writers have no imagination.
In what respects? We talking books? what type of books? movies? television shows? etc...thats a pretty broad catagory to start listing

Todays cars have no character.

You said character = different distinguishing traits from one to another.
Not necessarily a "good" character...but certainly with character, I present to you:

meh...not my cup of tea, but I know one at just a quick glance

Todays athletes have no respect for their coach their team or their sport and they all lack class.
I don't watch sports...did they ever have class?

Todays people can't even communicate face to face. OMG !

Well, the internet is a bit more convenient

Yes, my generation really messed things up.
We spoiled our kids rotten !
So now we reap what we sowed, the seeds of self rightous discontent !
I can't wait to see how your kids turn out.

CAUTION:
The next video you may find highly disturbing,
to include a sudden glimmer of hope in people once again
Please use discretion when viewing

edit on 13-5-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

...I'm not even 30 yet and you want to ban people over 30 from making decisions?

Hello?

Dementia doesn't really set in until you're past your 40s, well into your 50s.....

LOL.. Wow, Here is a case in point. The above quote. Where did you get your information? and you "younger" "smarter" ones want to do what? Try getting an Education and know the facts behind which you speak.
One day you will be an over the hill 35+ person, don't think you'll feel quite the same way.

Dementia usually only affects people over 65 years of age. Less than two per cent of people between 65 and 69 years of age suffer from dementia, five per cent between 75 and 79 years old, 20% of people between 85 and 89, and about one in three, or 33% of people over the age of 90 suffer from moderate or severe dementia.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Robbi because: Because I'm really old (49) and missed grabbing the quote I wanted :0

edit on 13-5-2011 by Robbi because: (no reason given)

link   

So your plan is to put people under 30 in charge of everything and presumably everyone over 30 will retire or act as a part-time consultant. You will effectively cut the work force by 2/3, so we'll be down to 35 million or so taxpayers. I assume you wouldn't want to cut benefits to anyone so you'll be adding 75 million new retirees to the existing 65 million for a total of 140 million retirees drawing social security and Medicare/ Medicaid benefits. 35 million taxpayers will be covering the tab for 140 million social program recipients. Yeah, that sounds sustainable! I'm glad you have such a well-organized plan for fixing things, perhaps you should run for office!

I think I remember hearing something about this a couple of years ago. It seems to ring a bell with Change We Can Believe In if I am not mistaken. Really hasn't worked out that well so far. Maybe it will ease up with the Death Panels.

link   
You know... I put this out there in this thread fairly early on and have yet to have a reply posted to my question. So lets try this again, because I know that manure throwing is ever so much more entertaining than actually sitting down to discuss a problem and, heavens forbid, come up with a solution...

The younger generations are so fond of telling us older folks just how badly we screwed everything up for them. Not really interested in the laundry list of what exactly we screwed up for them but what I AM interested in hearing are the ideas they would have on how to fix the problem?? This is not meant to inflame.... I really am interested to hear about what they would change in order to make this place better for all of us. Who knows, when we actually stop flinging the mud we all may find some common ground in which to actually start to do something.....

How very revolutionary!!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I think you about summed it up in in excellent post.

At any given moment its a mix of individuals who are creating the present moment.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

At any given moment its a mix of individuals who are creating the present moment.

And we are all still screwing it up.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadBLACK
reply to post by Nite_wing

In your frame of mind it does, it's how you interpret it ya close-minded fool...think about it

DeadBLACK.. you really need to be more polite when you post. We all understand that being young and seeing what the world is today, that you are disgusted and want change. BUT..with your attitude toward people on here does not help the youth situation.
About every post you have made is very negative, and name calling and insulting people is not the way to show people what you are hoping for the younger generation of your age group to accomplish for a better world tomorrow.

And calling people names is not going to get you anywhere..people are not going to take you serious.
Douche bag, small minded goof, older generation a joke...I am sure I am not the only person on here to notice your comments. Please.. be more respectful to the posters on here. I am with you on a better future and I hope you will be one of those that give it to us.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

What do you mean? I don't entirely follow?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

While I agree that our youth IS the future (always has been), the Indigo children are a poor example. I remember when I was younger (still am, under 30) we (the indigo children) were called the "push button" generation, because we wanted to be able to do everything by just pushing a button and not working hard for it; autonomatons if you would. Well, sadly, this is very true and technology has actually had a lot to do with that. I am all for the youth taking a greater role in the decisions that affect our society and the world at large, but intelligence cannot beat wisdom, and wisdom can only be attained through personal experience and time.

I think a better blending of the minds from our generations would be better, let the wisdom of the old be recieved by the young and let the young convert that wisdom into a modern solution.

the older generations are far too arrogant, the younger ones far to ignorant. Let the combination between young and old crush the arrogance and shatter the ignorance.

Best thing an elderly man ever told me, "I'm not smarter than you kid, you probably know more than I do, but I still know 100 more ways to kick your @$$." What he meant was "I know you are more intelligent than I am, but if we were thrown out into the world with nothing, I'd know what to do, you wouldn't." I don't care how headstrong you are, this is completely true, especially with the indigo children; brilliant minds that focus so much on the complex they do not learn the most basic knowledge needed for survival. Schools do not teach kids anything, they give them the necessary tools to learn from their life experience and grow from it. It is our elder generations that teach us truth and history, not textbooks.

The worst mistake you will ever make is the one you don't learn from. Learn from the baby boomers, they will tell you how they skrewed the pooch...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

What do you mean? I don't entirely follow?

It means us old farts are not happy with things either. Everybody is screwing it up, old AND young.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have a 22 year old daughter and she has a 23 year old fiancé. They are both great and we all get along very well. I have been invited to a couple of events in their circle of rediscovered nature spirituality (pagan etc.), and I can say I have a very positive impression of this age group (and I hope it is mutual).

When I was young, Fukuyama was the buzzword - you know, this guy came up with the idea of the "end of history" (with quite a neo-liberal slant). Later he revised his views.
Some of us tried mind-altering methods (including meditation) and listened to alternative stuff like Floyd, Bowie, and third world music. But the majority was busy building the world of megacorporations and religious intolerance and various witch hunts, including jailing innocent potsmokers. This world, as some of us knew, has always been sick to its heart.

With my daughter's generation, talk of change happens to be in the minds of the majority.

Now the buzzword is no longer Fukuyama., it is Fukushima. And it may very well be the end of history in a different way than what he meant.

What will we do when the massive die-off starts?
Can we explain to our young people that sorry, we screwed up the entire physical world for profit, power and good old-fashioned laziness? We wanted fancy cars and free markets... Hey guys, you can no longer eat fish, seaweed and sorry, no more bathing on the Pacific beach. Well, the Gulf of Mexico is screwed too... And anyway, one out of three will not survive the coming years. But good luck...
Sorry, we bet on the wrong horse...

When my daughter was a child, we saw the film Koyaanisqatsi (which is a Hopi word for "world out of balance"). Now she is writing a 9 page essay on this film.

So look guys, the "end of history" really starts with the syllables "Fuku" (pronounce it whatever phonetic way you can) , but sadly, the last part rhymes with Hiroshima, and not Toyota or Mitsubishi.

(I hope my pun does not offend anyone out of the suffering Japanese - I have a lifelong sympathy.)

How can we explain that to young people?

Can we?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

This is my first post on ATS. I've been reading threads here for quite some time but haven't really gotten up the nerve to do much posting. But, this thread made me do it. I agree, a number of older people who are in charge have done some pretty stupid things. That being said, I'd much rather have the experience of an older person making important decisions than some one who is under-educated, impulsive, and down right irresponsible. I'm not trying to say all 20-something people are that way. I know a number of well-educated, responsible young people. But, more often than not they are not ready to run anything.

Recently I ran into a fellow who looked to be about 25 at a local computer store. I was making a small purchase and paid with cash. As he was trying to ring me up the cash register died. This guy had to get out a calculator to figure out how much change to give me.

Another example. A young lady that I work with recently asked me to help her address an envelope so she could send some papers to someone. She said she had never sent anyone a letter using the postal service. She is 24.

Once again, I'm not saying all 20 to 30 year olds are like this. But it scares me to think that the generation you are speaking of and the next generation to come is so reliant on technology that they have either never learned or forgotten the basics of education. We all need to work together.

edit on 13-5-2011 by netscurge because: Better formatting

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

Righty-O...just fighting fire with fire...its funny how you can get the older ones, and im not naming names, to get on the level of "stupid kid" though...that's all, sorry to offend you, i just wish to single out these people as the so called "intelligent,educated" that are the people who stand in the way as, the other person put it, something revolutionary..and these people are the older ones who NEED to work together to guide us...I still say, younger people are more selfless, and the real positions of power need to be handed over to the 20 to 30 somes...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

reply to post by ellieN

I still say, younger people are more selfless, and the real positions of power need to be handed over to the 20 to 30 somes...

If you want to experience selflessness look around at all the working stiffs (male and female) who are in dead end hated jobs because they want to provide for their children. Those are the heroes.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Rather than this young take over....there should be a collaboration between both; knowledge from both. Both lack a way of thinking; merging them together would be the best.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

i am a working stiff stuck in a dead end job, i do have a kid..im 25

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadBLACK

And you are right...name calling from the older ones is not the way to show the point of view they are trying to impress you with. . I honestly hope the younger generation can make a difference.
But history has shown us that no matter what generation has come to power, the results have not been what was visioned.
So when you are 40, let's hope this dream of yours will be what you had in mind.
Good luck!!
edit on 13-5-2011 by ellieN because: Spelling

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

i am a working stiff stuck in a dead end job, i do have a kid..im 25

Someday you will be 35 and believe me the time passes quickly. Will you think the same then as you do now when your kids tell you to get out of the way? Tomorrow is only a day away.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadBLACK

...I still say, younger people are more selfless

And you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is anyone. But let me relay my observations on this point. I have worked on Habitat for Humanity projects now for 15 years. I am currently in my mid-40's. The people I see on these projects on a weekly basis are of my own generation or older. Rarely do I see a person younger appear on the job site to pound nails until their arms feel like they are about to fall off. I also volunteered at a homeless shelter for many years with much the same results. My Mother makes quilts for Habitat families because thats what she can do to help. My Father, on a limited income, buys food on sale, makes up boxes and distributes them annonomously in the community to families that need help.

As I said, these are merely my observations...take them or leave them. Not an attack on you or your statement...but show me where the majority of the younger generations selflessness shines through because I deperately wish to believe in it.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join