It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TEPCO: Unit No. 1 is now "in a state of meltdown" — Suspects there are holes in bottom of reacto

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

TEPCO: Unit No. 1 is now "in a state of meltdown" — Suspects there are holes in bottom of reactor (VIDEO)

enenews.com

Tokyo Electric Power Company says the No.1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is believed to be in a state of “meltdown”.

The utility company said on Thursday that most of the fuel rods are likely to have melted and fallen to the bottom of the reactor. Earlier in the day, it found that the coolant water in the reactor is at a level which would completely expose nuclear fuel rods if they were in their normal position. [...]

But it suspects the meltdown created a hole or holes in the bottom of the reactor causing water to leak into the containment vessel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www3.nhk.or.jp
[urlwww.bloomberg.com...[/url]
edit on 12-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well it has taken them almost 2 months now to just come out and tell us whats going on.It was reported earlier today that tepco Said that 1 of the reactors is worse of then previously thought. Reactor 1 has had it rods exposed and the water that suppose to cool the rods down are 3.3 feet (1 meter) below the fuel assembly!

enenews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The world needs to wake up and realize this is not just a Japanese problem. There is no excuse for us not being able to get water to any part of an Island with the implications we are facing

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Tchernobyl part 2 ladies and gents it's now in full swing ready to contaminate the world .

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

Yes i was expecting by the time i got to work that This might have been bigger news. But i guess the MSN won't want to report untill its to late or there just saving it for the morning shows just to get more ratings.
And i surprised it hasn't gotten more attention from ATSers but i guess We all knew this was happening and only matter of time before they told us.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
There has been a total lack of coverage on the unfolding events in Fukushima. The world seems to have stopped caring. I've been trying to find updates but it's been hard. Let's hope this doesn't get much more out of hand, the last thing this world and everybody needs is even more radiation.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
The Sh*t has just hit the fan

Funny someone mentioned earlier that this was already being reported on RT.

I checked BBC after I read it here and they havent said boo about it.

Just double checked BBC they still havent used the word 'melt down' yet and the story is buried.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 12-5-2011 by michaelmcclen because: elaborated

The western media won't say a thing about it. The western world's 10 second attention span has moved along to other stories. Fukushima, while still a massive problem, is out of sight, out of mind.

The 24 hour news cycle has a lot to answer for.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Update for you guys.Found this on the NYtimes. Im not sure what to think but seeing who its coming from maybe this is a good sign?

David Lochbaum of the Union of Concerned Scientists, a nonprofit group usually critical of the nuclear industry, agreed that the temperature readings were a good sign. He said he believed that the damage to the fuel at Reactor No. 1 was already finished, and that even if some fuel rods were still standing — and therefore exposed — they were no longer hot enough to keep melting. “As bad as things are,” Mr. Lochbaum said, “they’re getting better.”

Japanese Reactor Damage Is Worse Than Expected

This is slightly off topic But concerns the USA Nuclear plants

Despite repeated assurances that American nuclear plants are better equipped to deal with natural disasters than their counterparts in Japan, regulators said Thursday that recent inspections had found serious problems with some emergency equipment that would have made it unusable in an accident.

Disaster Plan Problems Found at U.S. Nuclear Plants

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
one of the problems in japan was that the emergency generators were specially built 4160 volt generators.

this is a rare voltage for generators and extremely rare in portable generators.

The requirements for the hardening of the emergency generator building should be as good or better then the reactors themselves. Also they need to be a distance away from the reactor building (200 to 500 feet) and hardened for radioactive fallout from a reactor accident so a small crew can run the emergency generators during a incident.

In some cases diesel generators may not be the best.
Jet turbine generators running multi-fuel on ether JP or diesel may be better in the long run as they are lighter and can be hardened against earthquakes with less problems.(mounting of floating frames with shock absorbers.)

If you have two or more reactors each should have there own emergency generators in there own hardened buildings. They should be big enough to run power for two reactors and be cross connectable so one unit can run cooling for two reactors.

The japanese emergency generators were in sheet metal building with no hardening.
They were not cross connectable.
And they were only big enough to run one reactor.
They also were not on floating frames.
They were also between the reactors and the sea and unprotected.

If they had been big enough, set back behind the reactors, hardened and cross connectable this accident would not have happened or not been near as bad.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
In the this modern age, we can't think of a better way to cool things than water? meh. Stupid

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The good news is we were already at level 7 on the nuclear disaster scale be this meltdown was reported. Even if all 4 reactors go into total meltdown the disaster will "stay the same" at level 7. Hmmm, they might have to think about adding a few more levels to that scale...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gumshoe
The good news is we were already at level 7 on the nuclear disaster scale be this meltdown was reported. Even if all 4 reactors go into total meltdown the disaster will "stay the same" at level 7. Hmmm, they might have to think about adding a few more levels to that scale...

Yea exactly!(star for you
) As long as theirs a nice little scale or chart that people can look at and go well its not any worse the Chernobyl and we survived that?! well im just happy there ats where people want to know the truth and get to the bottom of things. I tryed telling my co workers and there just like "OMG really? i thought they were ok now." all because its not on cnn or fox
makes me sad

EDIT: btw not trying to sell anything but on amazon they sell those iodine pills and it would seem the price has gone down now since theres no hype in the MSN so if you haven't yet i suggest getting them you know just in case. (was only $7 for a 2 week supply)
edit on 13-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Another link to this story
Independent

And observers fear a meldown may be happening in the mox fuel filled reactor number 3

Observers fear that Reactor 3, which contains MOX plutonium fuel, may have also suffered a meltdown, and the situation inside Reactor 2 is still shrouded in mystery.

Sounds to me like these are not new events but now TEPCO is finally letting some of the truth come out.... bit friggin late guys!!!
edit on 13/5/11 by Flying Sorcerer because: spellllllling

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Flying Sorcerer

Well that is great news! a "partial melt down" LOL yea the nuclear rods only sorta melted down

(ok not really funny Just plain ridiculous that you have to laugh)

Observers fear that Reactor 3, which contains MOX plutonium fuel, may have also suffered a meltdown, and the situation inside Reactor 2 is still shrouded in mystery.

I would say all 3 are melting down if i was avbetting man.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Really?Well i guess that doesn't surprise me at all. Even in japan its all about cutting costs.
Capitalism gone to far?(wouldn't be the first example)
I wouldn't mind a link to that type of information just so i can go through myself and learn a little something.v

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
In the this modern age, we can't think of a better way to cool things than water? meh. Stupid

That's not as dumb as using a "controlled" nuclear reaction to BOIL WATER to generate steam to drive a turbine to create electricity.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
There is smome type of media blackout nothing has been mentioned on sky news or bbc for a while now

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TREASONFX

www.bbc.co.uk...

BBC Still has the Japan page up, but no updates for a few days

english.aljazeera.net...

Aljazeera sometimes says a bit more, "Even though he openly expressed himself to Al Jazeera, the man said he wanted to remain anonymous because he felt that he's in "a weak position", and that only as "one of the nameless" can he say that the government has failed to provide "full disclosure of the information". "

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Ive been thinkin about this for awhile and not to threadjack or take this in the wrong direction does anyone else see the OBL assination as something to turn everyone away from the obvious danger that TEPCO is putting us in?? I just checked fox and they havent had any updates on japan in the last 24 hours.. seems strange to me, but then again weve all known this was worse then TPTB are playing it off to be.. thats my 2 cents

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join