It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin 80,000 km in diamter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Ok this is my first thread here on ATS so i hope im doing everything right. Anyways i found this while researhing comet elenin and its dated April 11, 2011 so im like
not good if its true but anyway i hope somebody can tell me if this is wrong or right or debunkable or plausiable or something cuz it was alittle shocking to me.

spaceobs.org...

So even if most of this was gas it would be very dense wouldnt it??? I mean isnt jupiter mostly gas and its gravitational pull is preety strong.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
That's impossible, no way it could be that big.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Congrats on your first post.

Even if it was that big. which it isn't, it's not going to hit earth and there are no UFO's in it's tail.

Heavens gate anybody?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Do you realize how big that actually is? The circumference of the moon is 10,000 km and the circumference of the earth is 40,000 km. There is no way elenin is that big.

Sorry i just realized the article said the diameter of the comet was 80,000 km so let me adjust my measurments. Diameter of moon is 3500 km and diameter of earth is 13,000 km the diameter of jupiter is 143,000 km. So they are saying that the diameter is more than half of jupiters diameter. Something that big would be having some form of gravitational effects on the other planets and moons as it is making its way through our solar system, and it is not.
edit on 12-5-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: more info

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
There's a thread on here about Leonid Elenin's TV interview about the comet...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Rough translation of it is a few posts down.

It IS possible for the entire diameter of it's gas & dust to be that large, Comet Neat was extremely large and no one could really see it like with Hail Bop. It'll be a good show this Fall.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The coma not the comet guys is 80,000km in dia!

xxx
edit on 5/12/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
Do you realize how big that actually is? The circumference of the moon is 10,000 km and the circumference of the earth is 40,000 km. There is no way elenin is that big.

It’s diameter exceeds 1 minute of arc, or 80,000 km! It is possible that such a rapid growth of the coma is associated with the apparent superposition over it of the comet’s dust tail, which after opposition, still remains invisible to the Earthly observer.

Key word "Diameter", not circumference. If it's diameter is 80,000 km, it's bigger than you think.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
obama in trouble, they drag out a fake certificate and fake osama....Earth in trouble they drag out a fake Leonid Elenin and say "the comet is desintegrating" ....So, whats the next lie ? Stephen Hawking win "Dancing With The Stars"???

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Yeah i noticed that and edited my post accordingly

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
elenin is a 4 dimensional object but since we cant perceive 4d this is what it looks like. imo of course

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
Congrats on your first post.

Even if it was that big. which it isn't, it's not going to hit earth and there are no UFO's in it's tail.

Heavens gate anybody?

wow... where was any of that in the OP's post?

Blatant man... blatant.

80k km is big, regardless of what it's composed of. Even if it's dust, it'll have some kind of effect on the planet as we pass through the debris. Even if it's minor, any effect will be an additive that we don't need lol

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The large size was of the coma, or tail. The coma is essentially the gasses and vapours that the Sun "cooks" out of the comet as it gets closer.

The head of the comet can be quite small (Comet C/2010 X1 is estimated to be only 4km in diameter) but the coma, which the solar wind will "blow" away from the direction of the Sun, forming the "tail", can easily be hundreds of thousands of kilometers long.

When comets come in from deep space, they are very cold because they have never been near a source of heat like the Sun. So they consist mostly of stuff that is frozen solid out in space but becomes either a liquid or gas as the comet warms up from the Sun.

The tail of comets are mainly water vapour but can also contain carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide in both liquid and gaseous forms.

edit on 12/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
A comet coma is essentially sparser than the best vacuum we can make on earth, its just far away and highly reflective to the solar wind, which is also essentially nothing but free electrons, ionization, subatomic particles. Thats what our magnetosphere protects us from; any over imbalance of either positive or negatively charged ions.

A collection free ions, or even a gas containing a proportion of charged particles, is called a plasma. >99.9% of visible matter in the Universe is in the form of plasmas. These include our Sun and other stars, the space between planets, as well as the space in between stars. Plasmas are often called the fourth state of matter because its properties are substantially different from solids, liquids, and gases.

Ions are everywhere in nature and are responsible for the luminescence of the Sun, and the Aurora Borealis of ionosphere on Earth, the Northern Lights.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

How could such a small object attract so much ice and water? After a which wouldn't the water dissipate?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

It doesn't attract, it expels, and you must have missed that part that the coma is sparser than the best man made vacuum on earth.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
My bet is with the 4D theory.

I have thought of it as a creation wave. When you reach the top, you recycle to the bottom in a new creation, thus eternity.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I'm guessing that would have too do with its oribit,,, the farther you travel the dusty'er you get

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Dear Elenin,

If you are in fact going to destroy earth, can you please strike Yankee stadium?

Regards,
Gringo

Dear Aliens possibly trailing Elenin,

If you are in fact on your way to enslave/save Earth, please scramble the brains of any Yankee that has been on the team for longer than 3 years. I willingly trade any and all secret knowledge for this simple act.

Regards,
Gringo

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle
reply to post by chr0naut

How could such a small object attract so much ice and water? After a which wouldn't the water dissipate?

How comets, asteroids, meteors, planets and stars form in the first place is a bit of a contentious issue in Astronomy. We have theories that seem to make logical sense but when you do the actual maths, it all falls apart.

What is believed is that comets come from a place out past the planets called the Oort Cloud. This area of space has lots of stuff that could make larger objects but somehow most of it is still too diffuse to get together gravitationally.

So occasionaly a chunk of something which does have mass, dives through the cloud of stuff (perhaps for hundreds of thousands of years) and picks up individual molecules. This is all at super cold temperatures so some of those molecules are solid frozen gasses and water.

Then as the comet falls in towards the Sun it heats, producing a spherical cloud of haze around it. The Sun as well as giving off heat also sprays out particles (it is, after all, a sustained H-Bomb type fusion explosion) and these particles push stuff away from the Sun like a wind. They actually call it the Solar Wind, and it is this which blows the coma away from the head of the comet, making a "tail" of very diffuse gas & vapour.

You are quite right that the water, and eventually the whole comet will dissipate away. With each pass close to the Sun, the comet looses more and more mass until all that will be left is the bits that don't "boil off".

Because C/2010 X1 is a long period comet, it hasn't been close to the Sun too many times and so it is still producing a coma. At some stage, that'll stop, but as you can see from the article, its outgassing and producing a coma right now.
edit on 12/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join