It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excerpts From One of the Books in Tuscon, AZ "Ethnic Studies" Class

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Apparently this lady requested that TUSD send her the study materials they use in classes between 3rd - 12th grades. She read some excerpts to the school board.

WARNING: I am not embedding this video, only linking it, as some of the content in the book contains foul language and racial epithets.

Excerpts From Tuscon Ethnic Studies Class

Some things from the study material:

"...hard drugs and drug culture is the invention of the gringo because he has no culture."

"We have to destroy capitalism, and you have to help 5/6 of the world to destroy capitalism in order to equal all people's lives."

Anyway, watch it or not. I can't verify what she's reading is or isn't really in the book, but apparently it can be verified by anyone.

/TOA

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

lol im pretty sure that drugs and the drug culture have existed long before mankind became known as civilized.

drugs are apart of every people and their history.

all i got to say if if they hate america so much go back home.

or is the reason they are here now is because they have screwed up there country so much they came here to do it to us.

if they are teaching that in 3rde grade then what the hell.

thats bs

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So its pretty much what everyone thought it was.

"how to hate white people and hate civilisation" studies.

I particularly liked the bit where she was quoting from the school text book and she want told NOT to say these quotes because there were some young people present.
Laugh if it wasnt so sadly real.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
communist che stupidity.

lol did you hear that dude say foul language was inappropriate but she was reading straight out of the text.

more proof that the world has gone stupid

edit on 12-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

No [snipping] foul language! If anyone teaches any of that [snip] I'll [snip] the [snipping] [snip]!

Yeah, nice textbook there for 3rd grade. Gringos? Capitalism? What the hell does that have to do with teaching the culture and history of Mexico or Mexicans?

/TOA

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

not a [snipping] thing man

they are teaching racism and its acceptable by their standards.

thats [snipping] messed up.

sorry i couldnt resist with the snips if its good enough for 3rd graders its good enough for me.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
WOW

Sorry about the abrupt (WoW), but WOW!

Teaching that stuff to third graders.

I dont know what to say other than.

thats right....

WOW!!!

-p.s. wow.

Revolution?
hmm.

Bring it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
From this website:

State action and TUSD’s response

On January 1, 2011, the new Ethnic Studies Law (A.R.S. sections 15-111 and 15-112) went into effect. On January 1, 2011, then-current Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tom Horne, notified TUSD that it is in violation of the new law. If the new Superintendent, John Huppenthal, determines after sixty days that TUSD has not come into compliance with the statute, the Superintendent can instruct the Department of Education to withhold 10% of TUSD’s funding (approx. $3 million) per month until the violation is cured.

First and foremost, it is TUSD’s intention that its employees at every level and in every department comply with the requirements of A.R.S. §§15-111 and 15-112. TUSD will pursue every legal avenue to protect effective programs and funding, and TUSD will operate its programs in compliance with the law.

Sincerely,
John J. Pedicone, Ph. D.
Superintendent

John Huppenthal was the Arizona Superintendent of schools in January.
Confusion clear-up: It is signed by Pedicone because the above is on the TUSD website and he was disseminating it to his staff.

TUSD Superintendent John Pedicone's response?

It's here on the TUSD website. It starts out with "TUSD supports all of its Ethnic Studies Programs." If you watched the video it was Pedicone that objected to the language that was in the book his administration authorized!

/TOA

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
maybe this is the reason that they are trying to get it taken out of schools. Racism is racism brown black white it doesnt matter. you can be ignorant and blame some other race for your own lazieness or stupidity, but ultimately the fault lays upon your shoulders.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakshowfatty
www.abovetopsecret.com...
maybe this is the reason that they are trying to get it taken out of schools. Racism is racism brown black white it doesnt matter. you can be ignorant and blame some other race for your own lazieness or stupidity, but ultimately the fault lays upon your shoulders.

I think maybe the reasons they are trying to get it taken out of schools are because of some of the below:

The title of one section is Radical Sh##:

Radical Sh##

“Today I have a message for all the people of Aztlan to the children, the students, the workers, to the masses of our people, and to the bloodsuckers, the parasites, the vampires who are the capitalists of the world: The schools are tools of the power structure that blind and sentence our youth to a life of confusion, and hypocrisy, one that preaches assimilation and practices institutional racism.”

As noted earlier, the name of this course has been Raza Studies or Raza/Mexican American Studies. The very name “Raza” is translated as “the race.” On the TUSD website, it said that the basic text for this program is “the Pedagogy of The Oppressed.” The author is Paulo Frere, a Brazilian Marxist.

A senator asked a girl whether she could have learned the things she spoke about in other courses. She responded: “No, before I took this course, I didn’t realize that I was oppressed. Now that took this course, I realize that I am oppressed.”

Materials for the course include a sheet titled “Chicano Resistance Vocabulary Squares.”

The students are given an example of student writing including the sentence “we are slowly taking back Aztlan as our numbers multiply.”

What is Aztlan? From Wikipedia:

Since the 1960s, the Chicano Movement has used Aztlán as a symbol for a proposed homeland for Hispanics in the Southwestern United States, called the Republica del Norte.

I could go on, but you get the picture. It's all here.

/TOA

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Permit me to speak professionally here, but what kind of scholarly material is this!?
It's poorly written and is offensive to anyone with half a brain.

I am at a loss for words, to be completely honest. What does learning history have to do with foul-mouthed socio-political proselytizing? I am thoroughly disappointed at the thought that teachers would consider this high school reading material.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

no.

this is 3rd grade reading material.

=)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This infuriates me.

The scary part is, I would bet that these are the common themes and beliefs being perpetuated in the homes of many Latinos. These ideas didn't just come into the classes out of thin air.

The point of no return for Americas demise has come and gone, but this is a prime example of how we got here and why it is getting worse.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The sad thing is that these classes could have been used as a way to educate people about other cultures, instead it is used as a way to spread hatred.

And FYI latino isn't associated to race...Latinos can come from any racial background.
edit on 12-5-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I am hoping more and more parents will choose to homeschool their children. School is no longer for educating, only indoctrinating.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is absolutely ridiculous. I think it's time for some teachers to be fired and possibly some school administrators. If they cannot keep tabs on what is being taught in their own schools, to the point where material like this is being exposed to young children, then they are obviously not fit to do their jobs.

However, I do not think that a blanket ban on ethnic studies is the correct answer. Ethnic studies classes should be used to teach about foreign cultures, not spread anti-American propaganda. There are a lot of potential benefits to students who want to learn about other countries, and by removing the ability to even provide these classes Arizona is depriving its children of a full education.

Regulation is the answer, not censorship.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw
Permit me to speak professionally here, but what kind of scholarly material is this!?
It's poorly written and is offensive to anyone with half a brain.

It sounds like some of the books inner city black kids wrote - - in their own words/language - - about how they view the world from their own culture.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

no.

this is 3rd grade reading material.

=)

Right. This material was made available to 3rd-12th grade.

See, people constantly try to paint Americans as "hate-mongers" and "racists" because of the Americans like me that want illegal aliens to either apply for their green card or, even better, for citizenship and be productive AMERICANS, or go back to your country of origin and drain their resources. Don't be Mexican-American, African-American, Chinese-, German-, Irish-, Norwegian-American. Just. American. Woodrow Wilson did two good things in his presidency: Enacted suffrage for women, and took an aggressive stance against hyphenated Americans.

That's not to say you should lose your history and culture when you become an American citizen, but that you need to make an attempt to integrate into the culture of the country you just became a citizen of. All of this material in this class tells me that they have no intention of becoming Americans. Aztlan, indeed.

/TOA

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I am glad that you all are here are beginning to recognize the war at home and the sides taken for our children. I am here on the front lines, and just remember that the pendulum swings both ways. I still have faith that children are smart enough to turn the tides as long as parents are proactive. I am doing my best to ensure my daughter learns important values and skills at home, but I also believe It is important to not shelter her too much from what the world is like away from home, so I keep her in public schooling in TUSD. I have been fighting ethnic studies for a couple of years now, yet I am still careful that my child does not perceive that as an excuse to treat other children with disrespect. That is a slippery slope. You all know how kids can be. There are many more problems than this with this school district and others, so it is important that school is not the only place where children learn, as home should not be the only place either imo.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
"...hard drugs and drug culture is the invention of the gringo because he has no culture" - yet they are the ones having a drug war right now...on a scale much larger than you would ever find in Oakland

This is getting out of hand quick, I hope Jan Brewer succeeds in all her endeavors.

I read on Drudge that AZ is gonna start a website soon for donations to build another fence. my moneys going there, as well as to help fund their legal defense against the fed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join