It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students 'armed' with pencils beaten in Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Sorry Mods, I put this in the wrong place!

"Despite overwhelming international condemnation, the Syrian government continues to exact brutal reprisals against its own citizens, including, tragically, the deaths of hundreds of Syrians since March. They engage in unlawful detention and torture and the denial of medical care to wounded persons," said U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, speaking at a press conference in Greenland's capital on Thursday.

It began with a small group chanting anti-government slogans. As the demonstrators marched through the campus, more and more students joined and the group swelled to several thousand, a political activist in Aleppo said.
They called for "freedom" and chanted "with our blood, with our souls we will sacrifice for you, Daraa," a slogan in solidarity with the people of that city, where the anti-government protests began two months ago.
A group of 50 pro-government protesters joined by hundreds of security forces confronted the students and began beating them with sticks and batons. The activist said the demonstrations were dispersed and several people were injured.
"We were only armed with our notebooks and pencils," the activist said.

Video on link.
Seems like everywhere we look in the Middle East things are getting worse and worse.
I am not a big expert on the impact of these events politically but with all the other unrest going on from Egypt, Libya, Syria and all the way to Pakistan it seems something really big is about to happen. Mix this in, on top of it, with all the new terrorist threats the DHS is seeing on the web and small attacks, such as the one thwarted in NYC today, I watch the news now with a pessimistic eye which saddens me.
Why are all the crazy 2012 prophesies seemingly coming true, it makes no sense to me anymore.
Any thoughts on this or our global calamity?
CNN Link
edit on 5/12/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The Syrian people are not giving up. Tenacity, more power to them.

new topics

join