It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are con-artists searching for targets on forums like ats?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
daran erinnern, dass fast alles auf ATS ist im Zusammenhang
mit Recherchen über die Web-Schlüsselwort

Mod Edit: 15i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of the Terms and Conditions of Use (and the Terms and Conditions of Membership), you agree not to Post or chat in any language other than English.
edit on 13-5-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hey it might sound crazy, but try to ask tarot cards if the guy was a con or a real?

I stroooooongly doubt he would be real
Your post was a good read

edit on 12-5-2011 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hey OP, does your car have Onstar?

(not sure if that is available in Europe)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Maybe he knows "Yogi" Bear. kidding. I think there is a very small chance that there are a few people out there who could really do this. Remote viewers claim things like this are possible as well as psychics.

I'm 99.9% sure you're right and this is a trick or a con but just maybe it is real. I've seen many so called psychics found to be a fraud like Sylvia Brown. If you let them talk enough they will "catch" themselves. I would have asked him questions instead of letting him make all the statements. What do I have in my pocket or purse or what did I eat last evening? Those are kinda dumb but you get my drift.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Great story. Thanks for sharing it!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
Well, I will say this much, I don't believe in coincidence, nor the supernatural. Something is absolutely off here...I need to re-read your original post a few times and ponder it a bit.

I know what you're thinkin...."it's just a con, don't worry about it".... maybe

hahaha ok after having seen YOUR edit, I will add, good....definitely file a complaint, and yes I know what you mean about the con-game...but I can't help but keep in my mind that, if he knew that much about you down to personal conversations, then clearly, he also knows you're not the type to be that easily fooled either.
edit on 12-5-2011 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

hm, I actually lost sleep over this tonight, couldn't stop thinking about it. This morning I told my husband I thought he'd been blabing to other people about our personal converstions and he really got angry for even suggesting that.... so maybe he didn't.

I've been going over that personal conversation, which had to do with personal feelings towards money among other things and I tried to imagine other people in our position to have that same conversation. I had to conclude that others might as well have that exact same way of thinking so maybe this was just another psychological trick he pulled...
Something that he could be right about with the majority he tries it with.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like he really pulled a psychological game on me, combined with magic tricks. ok, it still doesn't explain all of it, but sometimes the truth is right in your face without noticing it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

I had to pull that one through google translator, lol (I dont speak a lot of German)

but your right, using a search engine is a handy tool for a con artist, not only to find posts on ats...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by User8911

hm I'm pretty sure he was a con. If he was for real then there are other things he could have told me that would have had much more impact. But he didn't, he used a few selected facts out of my life, facts that are written on the Internet. He could have said plenty that is not written anywhere.
edit on 13/5/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Hey OP, does your car have Onstar?

(not sure if that is available in Europe)

not sure if it is available over here,
but our car doesn't have it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
Maybe he knows "Yogi" Bear. kidding. I think there is a very small chance that there are a few people out there who could really do this. Remote viewers claim things like this are possible as well as psychics.

I'm 99.9% sure you're right and this is a trick or a con but just maybe it is real. I've seen many so called psychics found to be a fraud like Sylvia Brown. If you let them talk enough they will "catch" themselves. I would have asked him questions instead of letting him make all the statements. What do I have in my pocket or purse or what did I eat last evening? Those are kinda dumb but you get my drift.

well yes, there are probably people who can do this, I tried to do it hundreds of times, I myself do tarot readings, channelings and energy readings.... but those who actually know they can do it don't walk into stores and start reading people for money without being asked to do it.

After that event I started thinking "I should have asked this or should have done that..." but during the event you just don't think about these things. He talked so fast and, looking back to it, didn't really gave me the chance to even think about it to much.

The whole thing was about money if you think about it, almost everything he mentioned was about money or money issues. Even the good rituals he wanted to do where for material wellfare. That's where he screwed up. He thought I would be interested in that, while in reality it's the least of my worries and my wishes. There are much more important things in life for me then money but he didn't know that about me.
Shouldn't he read that in my energy if he was for real? I think so...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Think of a vegetable....
No, a tomato is a fruit.
OK carrot you say...
Send me €50 and I'll tell you why you feel so alone.

Sounds like a Victorian scam.

As others have said, check out Derren Brown, and even a show on UK TV, The Real Hustle (BBC3).

edit on 13-5-2011 by dsm1664 because: sp

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazzachel
reply to post by GypsK

i have just spoken to my friend and he says there are plenty of tricks like that and if you want to see it being performed then go to you tube and type in derren brown he is the perfect example. my friend says he wont tell me how its done because of magicians code, but what he did say is its 1 of the oldest tricks in the book and they do it by fishing for information and they can tell by your reactions. if you had a poker face then it would be impossible to tell. the next time he comes in an says anything just tell him he is wrong and bluff him out. dont forget tho to check derren brown out, he is awesome at what he does. peace.

I looked at some youtubes about Derren Brown and wow! Now I'm convinced the thing with the notes was a trick. I loved his vids about "cold readings"... that could have been exactly what this Yogi was doing.
Gonna look at more of his work, it's great information to help seperate the real ones from the frauds.

So that trick with the notes.
He eather did not wrote down anything untill I had given him the answers (in which case I don't understand how that not got out of my hand)
or he already knew the answers which means he'd been fishing... which brings me back to the original question, where and how did he get the info?

thanks for mentioning mr Brown, he really opened my eyes

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dsm1664

yes I just posted back about Derren Brown in the post above this one,
that guy is amazing!
thanks

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

He's bloody good at what he does.

But for scams/cons do check out The Real Hustle on BBC 3.

They've done some really good ones over the years to assistants in shops.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This is exactly why we have the very strict rule about sharing personal information:

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

ii) You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to collect or ask for the personal information (data mining) about forum members, including email addresses and "real life" names, in any manner whatsoever, or for any reason whatsoever.

The staff have zero tolerance for solicitors especially when it comes to the privacy of our members.

On a side note - as mentioned above - take a look at BBC's "The Real Hustle"... It's amazing how easy it is to scam people...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

As I said in my OP, I don't blame ats for this in any way. If this Yogi got his info here then somehow he linked my unsername to me or my real name to my user name. I don't know what he gotten to first but whatever he did would have worked on any forum or blog or site on the net.

Just surprising how all information (linked to your offline life or not) could be used against you when someone sets his mind on it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
After searching the net I found this:

choosinggood.com...

Its a guide on how to do the 'mind reading' trick and it's sold on the net for 29$.
below is a description of a certain technique the 40 min video will teach you, it's exactly what that yogi did with the notes and this website suggests that, if this is a variation of the trick he used, he knew nothing at all about me before starting the trick.

Drawing Duplication The power to duplicate a hidden drawing.
"A spectator draws any picture that comes to mind. They fold their drawing up and hide it so you cannot see. There's no way you could possible know what it is. You grab a piece of paper, and start to draw something. You ask that person to show you what they drew. It could be anything. Yet you have successful duplicated that drawing

I didnt download it so I don't know if anything in that video is for real (meaning, real magic tricks that work), but the makers of the vid are very strict about republishing because of the magicians code of secrecy.
edit on 13/5/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

hm, I actually lost sleep over this tonight, couldn't stop thinking about it. This morning I told my husband I thought he'd been blabing to other people about our personal converstions and he really got angry for even suggesting that.... so maybe he didn't.

Believe it or not, I did too...I couldn't quite get it out of my head.

One thing about me, I never make assumptions about another persons intent. No matter how close they are to me, it's kept me alive on many occasions throughout my life (not sure if I laud or deride that to be honest) so again, were it me I would always remain open to any possibility, but in your position and whatever type of person you are, you ultimately have to make the judgment.

But remember what I said that, if everything was "as you described", well the part of that which was important to me was when you said that the Indian gentleman "repeated word for word" the conversation you had in the car. The astronomical mathematics for him to "guess" at the exact conversations content are extraordinarily high. Now I consider it wholly different for you 2 to have had an argument about, say, why the mortgage got paid in particular fashion, in the car and for him to tell you "you argued about the mortgage and how it got paid in the car"... and for this prognosticator to have simply said "you argued with your husband about money in the car"..... the latter is EASY to generalize and assume and be right about within a certain percentage, the former would be IMPOSSIBLE without some inside information to the conversation.

Originally posted by GypsK
I've been going over that personal conversation, which had to do with personal feelings towards money among other things and I tried to imagine other people in our position to have that same conversation. I had to conclude that others might as well have that exact same way of thinking so maybe this was just another psychological trick he pulled...
Something that he could be right about with the majority he tries it with.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like he really pulled a psychological game on me, combined with magic tricks. ok, it still doesn't explain all of it, but sometimes the truth is right in your face without noticing it.

Clearly, I do hope you're right about this, I know it would make me feel better that this was the real issue, and not the former.

Don't mind me, I've made a career out of trusting not a single sole in life to the point that it's left me where I am, so take all I say in with it's proper measure of salt.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

just having a lil fun since duetsch was my favorite language to have learned and I'm sure it had alot to do with the teacher -a very cool lady she was! though must admit the hairy pits and my being around puberty at the time was odd

all I was trying to say is an anonymous search online would pull up an ATS thread just by using a key word from your story like "Yogi" for example, it does'nt have to be a member..but connecting private unshared info and a personal visit is a whole 'nother issue and judging from what I've read through the years -if you have a cell, computer, phone, etc. it is recordable and higher than ATS, Verizon, Clear Channel or whoevers limited control
edit on 13-5-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
ooh sorry I cost you your sleep....

I know what you mean about not trusting a single soul... I'm a lot the same, but I had to learn how to trust family members and my husband or othewise I would be accusing them for things all the time. If he isn't worthy of my trust then why did I marry him? So yes I do trust him on this matter.

Did some reading up on "cold readings" and "nlp"... very interesting and very similar to what the yogi pulled off. LOL I think I'm becoming obsessed by figuring this thing out, especially that trick with the notes.

So mr Yogi, if your reading this, I won't ever pay for your scams, but I'm willing to pay you for the explenation of the trick! How's that for earning 'honest' money?

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join