It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House approves bill to lift US drilling ban

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by professornurbs
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

I know what you were saying, I was agrrening with you on the technology point of view. I think it was on a sunday morning talk show that I heard the 3% quote. I cannot remember which one it was off hand because it was like 8 months ago, but to think oil is finite is not accurate.

Of course it is finite, its based on fossil fuels, meaning dead bones that took millions of years to make. In the process of 150 years we used half of all of it (look it up). When you factor in countries like China and India who are JUST starting their growth and take exponential growth of our population into account, there no other way to look at it but disaster.

When I was in middle school population was at around 5 to 5.5 billion, we are currently at 7 billion and on course to 9 billion in just ten years (according to current figures). I'm 32 years old. What happens if China and India want our lifestyle and want to drive their cars and eat the way we do? The opposite of finite is infinite, and I am sure you don't believe anything on this earth is infinite?
edit on 12-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Reflecting on this thread I find it odd that Obama Bin Lyin has a problem with drillg on US soil for oil, but has no problem with giving George Soros 3 billion of our tax dollars for Petrobra to drill Brazil. Its a shame we have to dirty another countries enviroment to suit our energy needs. Tisk, tisk.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
reply to post by marg6043

So it is your opinion that oil prices will stay the same when we begin using our own oil and stop importing so much. It is my understanding that when more supply is available in the market place then prices drop.

This is really a quaint concept. Do you really think that any oil we take out of US drilling is slated for US use - it goes to the highest bidder and that does not have to be the US -- China bids more it is China's oil The idea that our oil is our oil is just crazy talk.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by professornurbs

Actuall the tap was 10 billions that have been promised to drill in Brazil,

politicalvelcraft.org...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Correct me if I am wrong I thought oil came from dead plants also as well as animals. All the oil was not made from 1 time period it has several generations, it is a continual flow. There are times for different pockets all several millions of years old. As far as I know plants still die and keep reproducing more.
edit on 12-5-2011 by professornurbs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

10 billion huh? Wow nice political payoff to Soros guess it paid off for him to buy Obama the election. Thank you kindly for the information.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Exactly, our reserves are not for future oil depletion they are for future shortage, see two of our most profitable wells are on loan to private companies like BP, so our natural resources goes to profit our British allies.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

On that I agree with you, I also believe our oil is renewable by natural means.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Becareful we might end up friends.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

You know I am starting to like you very much after this post, you have make me laugh.

I promise this to you, we are going to be very good friends here in ATS.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Kind.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Reflecting on this thread I find it odd that Obama Bin Lyin has a problem with drillg on US soil for oil, but has no problem with giving George Soros 3 billion of our tax dollars for Petrobra to drill Brazil. Its a shame we have to dirty another countries enviroment to suit our energy needs. Tisk, tisk.

When you use the cute little names you look foolish and undermine your own credibility -- but then go on to nail it by being totally factually in error.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Opinions are like a$$holes we all have one. The 3 billion quote was the initial money I had no idea it ran to 10 billion.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Correct me if I am wrong I thought oil came from dead plants also as well as animals. All the oil was not made from 1 time period it has several generations, it is a continual flow. There are times for different pockets all several millions of years old. As far as I know plants still die and keep reproducing more.
[/quote

Actually it does there is a body of believers in abiotic oil - this is a group that maintains oil is generated deep in the earth and seeps upward. They are kindred spirits of creationists.

This is a fun topic for me, my wifes family are - oil people. Geologists and cartographers. My guano crazy (aspbergers) brother-in-law is one of the foremost geo pyhscists in the oil exploration industry. He has looked for oil all over the world. The take away from Thanksgiving dinner is no more oil is being made and we are past peak. Probably the best bet is genetically manipulated algae.
edit on 12-5-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Ok, thank you for the information I will look into that more.

This was suppose to go to chewingonmushrooms.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I believe that the 3 billion was on Soros alone and that the overall figure will got up to 10 billion. That is a posibility, I will have to research more on that one to see what goes to whom and how much.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Correct me if I am wrong thought oil came from dead plants also as well as animals. All the oil was not made from 1 time period it has several generations, it is a continual flow. There are times for different pockets all several millions of years old. As far as I know plants still die and keep reproducing more.

You are 100% correct that it is a continuous process. Here's a hypothetical, what happens if you have a faucet dripping a steady stream of drops of water one by one, and no matter what it never stops. It's filling a huge pool with thousands of gallons of water. Now what would happen if people one by one start showing up with gallon water buckets and start taking gallons off the pool at a steady rate.

See the parallels? Fossil fuels take millions of years to complete, certainly a long process. If the rate that it takes to make is lower than the rate that it takes us to use it then sooner or later he supply runs out. It was a rough analogy, but I think you get what I am saying.

Ok, thank you for the information I will look into that more.

This was suppose to go to chewingonmushrooms.

No problem man anytime. If you are interested in the subject take to time out and look it at from all angles. Read what the skeptics have to say about it also and make your own judgements. Try and see the last one titled The most important video you will ever see. Dramatic name I know

edit on 12-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: Smoked too much bud and cannot type for the life of me

edit on 12-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: lazy proof reader

Edit: Here's a quote that says in one sentence what I was trying to say in a paragraph lol

Fossil fuels are non-renewable resources because they take millions of years to form, and reserves are being depleted much faster than new ones are being made.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I got your point, than you. A question for you, do you think we know how much oil there is in the earth? I have always wondered that. It seems like every few years we find new deposits unoticed before. I am also like you I like the topic of oil it facinates me.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well it would have probably been in the lower trillions before we started drilling. But I'm not sure that's a good question I'll see if i can find the estimates.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Opinions are like a$$holes we all have one. The 3 billion quote was the initial money I had no idea it ran to 10 billion.

Its not an opinion it is the lack of fact in your post - it wasn't given to Sorros it wasn't given it was a loan and it wasn't an executive order it was agency that is commissioned to loan money. So what part of this did your fact machines not distort. Show me why you believe this perhaps I am wrong - perhaps.

plI'm just tired of the cheap shot meme that is woven into the right wing sphere of known stuff, stuff that is simply made of whole cloth.
edit on 12-5-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join