It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: Stigmatizing lawful firearm owners

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Canada: Stigmatizing lawful firearm owners

www.nationalpost.com

Those of us who have called for an end to the long gun registry have often focused on its cost at least $2 billion and its uselessness in stopping crime. But the greatest damage done by Bill C 68 has been the wedge it has driven between police and law abiding Canadians who own guns for hunting, sport shooting or vermin control on farms.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This article focuses on a colourful character. The 76-year-old, Henry Barnes... AKA... Johnny Sombrero

Now old Johnny Sombrero is the founder and former leader of Toronto's motorcycle gang, the Black Diamond Riders...

this "Colorful old man owned more than 100 guns, or at least he did until January of 2010, when Toronto police burst into his apartment and seized them all, despite the fact all of them were properly registered and locked in gun safes.

So what was his crime you may ask????
Mr. Barnes is currently on trial for unsafe storage.

And they say we got a "Big Brother" problem here in the states...

www.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
No 2nd amendment here...We are [SNIP]. BUT with the Conservative in power and in a majority stature, we might be rid of this long gun registry once and for all soon enough, I know I can't wait !!!!
edit on 12-5-2011 by burdman30ott6 because: Please do not evade the automatic censors.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Storage laws have to be the most draconian things.

It simultaneously gives anyone the justification they need to search your person and property and gives them cause to seize your property and lock you up for committing absolutely no crime whatsoever.

This storage nonsense is right up there with drug laws for most absurd and tyrannical legislation that oculd land anyone anywhere at anytime in prison for nothing at all.

This crap really needs to go away.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Read this article people!! This is what will happen to us Americans if we let them. We need to stand and up and maintain one voice to defend our way of life. This is idiotic, great post DaddyBare.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is one of the main reasons why the majority of gun owners that I know never registered thier rifles, but rather stored them until these types of pathetic liberal party implemented laws are reversed. The Conservatives have promised to scrap this useless piece of garbage that was drawn up by inner city left wing "do gooders" who were looking to blame honest law abiding gun owners for inner city crime like you see in Toronto on a daily basis. A 'certain' part of the populous in Toronto aren't 'offing' each other with legitimately owned firearms, but rather ilegal hand guns that are being smuggled in from south of the border, mainly through the "Florida Pipeline".

The really pathetic thing is that you have a situation where these left wing bureaucrats, like the NDP, who reside in Toronto and other large cities, end up having legislation past that effects ALL of Canadians rather than just the people living in these large urban centres. It's sickening.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
The really pathetic thing is that you have a situation where these left wing bureaucrats, like the NDP, who reside in Toronto and other large cities, end up having legislation past that effects ALL of Canadians rather than just the people living in these large urban centres. It's sickening.

Happens all over the US too.

Mass has ridiculous laws over the entire state because of Lawrence, Boston and Worcester even though virtually all of the state West of the pike is rural.

NYC rules over New York State with an iron fist.

Chicago alone keeps the entire state of Illinois in a state of complete tyranny.

That's "democracy" for you.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
They should ban all guns in Canada, U.S and Mexico. Law abiding citizens shouldn't be armed only criminals and government workers need guns.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

You know... I'm the Parent of a Murdered child...
I know the horror of swimming in my sons blood, listening to his screams, laying there next to him as his life slipped away, lying to him "Everything going to be okay buddy, just hang in there!" Praying for help that never came....

If I had been armed that day I wouldn't have blinked twice, my son might still be alive....

to you I say... it must be nice to live in your fantasy world... Me... I'll keep my CCP and protect what's left of my family...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
They should ban all guns in Canada, U.S and Mexico. Law abiding citizens shouldn't be armed only criminals and government workers need guns.

I hope this is Sarcasm.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I certainly hope so!

On topic, one more reason to be glad we don't have a police force in our town.....

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

That's the nice thing about living in a small town where everyone knows everything about our neighbours...
if they ever passed a law like that here ... some of the cops I know (Hunt and fish with) would be bringing me their...extra guns to stash away for em...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The biggest two problems with Canada's gun control (aside from the assinine registration itself):

1) It was designed to appease voter base - primarliy urban Canadians. Policy based on garnering votes as opposed to stopping problems will always end in pain, financially or judicially.

2) They sell it to many urban centres, that if the program is reverted, hand guns will flood the streets....okay...what the 'f' do handguns have to do with rural Canadians and long guns? They should make it mandatory to provide stats when they make claims.

All in all it has been a dismal failure at everything.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

You know... I'm the Parent of a Murdered child...
I know the horror of swimming in my sons blood, listening to his screams, laying there next to him as his life slipped away, lying to him "Everything going to be okay buddy, just hang in there!" Praying for help that never came....

If I had been armed that day I wouldn't have blinked twice, my son might still be alive....

to you I say... it must be nice to live in your fantasy world... Me... I'll keep my CCP and protect what's left of my family...

Greatest sympathies to you DaddyBare. One of many examples of why being responsibly armed is a great idea, I too would have shot to defend my loved ones. All parents believe they know what that would be like but you know for certain. I hope that the pain has lessened.

Americans need to really pay attention to our slow erosion of gun rights. It is well documented in other nations what the liberal agenda is. Be well.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Anything that keeps guns off MY Canadian streets is good for me. Obviously our American friends will have a hard time understanding, but Canada is NOT nor has it ever been a firearms nation. We hunt, so we have rifles.

Anything else is a waste of time, money and is simply dangerous. IMO we should NOT have guns outside the military, I know that’s not a very popular opinion, but that’s the way I feel. Sure the gun registry needs a good cleanup to make it more efficient and less costly, but it should NOT be abolished.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I feel like what you wrote is a perfect representation of the general mentality of almost all Canadians in southwestern Ontario at least, and probably in many of the urban centres in the other provinces.

But... it's just not a reality. Respectfully, have you ever fired any type of gun yourself? If so, how did that make you feel? If not, have you ever even handled a firearm before in your life?

Some civilians need guns, period. It doesn't have to be about protection at all, basically every farmer with a barn needs a gun for pest control, to start.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce

I feel like what you wrote is a perfect representation of the general mentality of almost all Canadians in southwestern Ontario at least, and probably in many of the urban centres in the other provinces.

But... it's just not a reality. Respectfully, have you ever fired any type of gun yourself? If so, how did that make you feel? If not, have you ever even handled a firearm before in your life?

Some civilians need guns, period. It doesn't have to be about protection at all, basically every farmer with a barn needs a gun for pest control, to start.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You know, I agree with you.

Farmers NEED rifles, hunters NEED rifles. NOBODY needs handguns, or assault rifles or anything of that nature outside of law enforcement. That's the point I was trying to get at. I am from a farming community, grew up on a farm so I definetly see the need for it.

As for having guns, yes I own a little collecton of hunting rifles and shotguns that I hardly ever use as they are primarily for hunting and maybe some range shooting every now and then when I get bored.

My problem has always been with small arms, assault weapons and those sorts of things. They cause more problems than they solve. Now if I lived in the US, it would be a different story, I would probably fully support gun ownership rights for small arms as they are ingrained in American culture and America's Constitution.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 5/12/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Oh I see well I can also agree with you in that a handgun can be concealed very easily which makes it ideal for people who are intent on hurting others and getting away with it. Have you ever fired a handgun before though? I think it's a lot of fun to go to the shooting range and put tiny holes into a paper target that's 15 meters in front of me. I would hate to lose that privilege, because to me it's a lot like going to the driving range to try and hit a few balls out to 150 meters, in front of me. Now one is obviously more life threatening theoretically, but really when everyone knows and follows the rules, shooting handguns can be just as safe as a day on the green.

Something else I think about in the long guns vs handguns debate is how difficult it is to hit a target with a handgun beyond 15 meters. At 25 meters it's hard for me to even get on paper. Now a shotgun will spray you with shot pretty easily so far as 75 meters or more depending on the choke. And a good scoped rifle used for hunting can hit somebody out to a km away in some cases. So really, which is more dangerous? Obviously handguns are used more often in crimes, but with them all gone, a sawed off shotgun would do just as well, if not better anyway. I think it really comes down to restricting access to all guns, if you want to prevent gun crime. I have a feeling that as long as the ammunition is being made, that is impossible.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well, it remains to be seen whether Harper will abolish the registry or not. The police chiefs and associations have all come out in favour of the registry. I don't think Harper wants to be seen as going against the police. After all, he did campaign on being 'tough on crime.' His promise to scrap the registry was simply pandering to his base for support.

Marc Lepine murdered 14 women with a rifle. And Constable Valérie Gignac was shot and killed by a man with a rifle. Four RCMP officers shot and killed in Alberta with a rifle. OPP constable Vu Pham shot and killed with a rifle. It's disingenuous to say that long guns don't contribute to crime.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

How would having the rifle registered have prevented any of those deaths?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join