It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas cops keep $2,000 found by honest teen

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It's nice that they go about collecting all of a community's loose change

Good thing I don't own much property and so am not overly paranoid about the police protecting my stuff. Stuff like what you just mentioned should go to charity instead of just "letting it slide" into an unaccountable fund.

General. Lol.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

How did they steal it from her? It wasn't hers anyways. Its not as if she saved this money up and they yanked it out of her purse. She found it and turned it in for the rightful owners to recover.

The old policy was to give it to the founder after 30 days. They have a new policy now, which the cops didn't have a hand in passing, but according to you they are theives.

Have a problem with it then take it up with the policy makers.

As for me, if I was in that situation, I would never think about getting the money turned back over to me. I would turn it in and if I get a letter or call stating I can pick it up then I would see it as bonus. If I found out that it went to the city coffers then I wouldn't think twice about it simply because I never had it to begin with as it was not mine.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
When I was a kid me and two other kids found a bank deposit bag,
with a hefty amount of cash and checks in it, on the way to school.

We took the bag to the bank and a nasty little guy grabbed it from
us and stared at us for a minute as if we, three 6th graders, were
criminal masterminds...

He then told us "thanks and goodbye"...

There is no reward for honesty and we see daily that the liars and
thieves are the ones that live in the lap of luxury, laughing at those
who attempt to live their lives with integrity.

It's time for a planetary format and someone needs to install a
different operating system.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Version100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Is your intent to suggest that your personal standard should be adopted by everyone, or are you just noting what it would be? Sorry, I can't tell without hearing your tone. I don't want to assume it's the former, but if it is, then I would suggest perhaps considering whether the world spends enough time rewarding good deeds with a blank face, and that seizing opportunities to act differently could contribute to the general well-being of human ethical status. In other words, it's not about the finder expecting the reward, but about the receiver choosing to make an example of someone in a positive way for once.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Pffft Cop haters... thats all.

Any and every excuse to "hate".

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Cop-lovers, you mean, yeah. They do always defend even the most obviously ridiculous behavior.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

For someone who doesn't want to assume my intent you certainly devoted your entire post to doing just that.

If someone wants to be rewarded for doing the right thing then thats their deal. I think a good deed is one where there isn't a thought of reward. If a good deed is done with the expectation of a reward then it becomes a selfish deed.

Now the reason I don't have a problem with people expecting a reward for doing a good deed is because we have been accustomed to you for as long as there has been wanted posters. The problem I do have is people getting upset over not being rewarded for a good deed. The reward is a bonus that has become expected, but that doesn't mean we should get upset when we don't get it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Nope. Just using common sense involving a "story" that is a non issue.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
So, they're following policy, not "taking" the money from her.

I don't want to be nit-picky with you but taking something by force be that force a gun or a law or policy is still theft regardless if committed by an individual or a government or men in fancy hats like the police.

Now you could argue it wasn't her money because she found it...but it is not the purview of the police department to determine ownership with a police policy (likely written by some appointee police chief in need of funds) if anything it should be determined by law (made by elected officials) which likely grants ownership of found property to the finder in most cases.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well honesty has paid off in this case. The latest update:

People impressed with 15-year-old Ashley Donaldson’s honesty have donated more than $8,000 since WFAA-TV reported that the city of Dallas had decided to keep $2,000 that Donaldson turned over to Dallas police in February.

The Dallas Police Association donated $2,000, and many smaller gifts have also been deposited in a fund set up by Chase bank, which contributed $1,000

dallasnews.com...

So despite the city policy she now has over $8000 to help towards her college/car fund. Really a nice story in the end.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I don't think giving the money to the cops is "the right thing"

If you find one dollar on the ground, will you give it to the cops? Probably not... why then would you give them thousands of dollars? That's just stupid.

If someone is, first of all, dumb enough to carry about that much cash, and then second of all dumb enough to not keep a hand on it at all times so they don't loose it, then tough luck. When I would cash my paycheck I would put it in my wallet in my front pocket, and literally NOT take my hand off my wallet in my pocket until I got in my car, and got home.

How are you going to find who the money belongs to anyway? Found money belongs to the finder, I don't care what the law says.
edit on 13-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NearPerfect
Having something called a "general" fund for a police department sounds peculiar to me. What else goes into this generalized treasure chest of "unowned" goods?

Police departments dont have a general fund. If you read the article the General fund being referred to is for the City of Dallas, not the Dallas Police Department. For the most part, between various state and federal requirements, Police departments get a budget, and that is pretty much it.

Any type of revenue generated goes into the general fund that is overseen by elected officals. This is pretty much the same for Sheriff Departments as well, whose office is seperate from the County Comission, except for their budget.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

As I stated before, it comes nowhere close to being in the same league. A policy directing lost money into the general fund is not anywhere close to civil rights or thwta the Nazis had going on, and trying to make the argument and connection is a joke. Please, limit your argument, which the bulk of us, including myself, to how idiotic the City of Dallas is by doing this.

There is a huge difference between backwards social norms or a belief that aryans are the supreme race, and the city of dallas taking lost money.

Also, I am a leo, and am not entirely sure why its even relevant to the thread, other than to derail the thread by assuming something that you know nothing about, namely me, my history, intelligence, education, training and experience. So please, limit your argument to the thread, and leave me out of it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join