It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Close the U.S. Budget Deficit? - Use The Calculator Below to See How Well You Can Do

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
The government should just raise income taxes to 100%, that should cover all of their bills.

That's gonna solve all of THEIR problems alright since they'll all be dead from lead poisoning.

Not even the communists did this...and when they did, people revolted, fudged the numbers and stole.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Nope, because after 4 years, they would come back needing more. Like a junkie needing a fix.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Oh also our yearly funding:

Total Outlays (Federal Funds): $2,650 billion
MILITARY: 54% and $1,449 billion
NON-MILITARY: 46% and $1,210 billion

Solution is simple
reduce military spending by 1/3rd and reinstitute bush tax cuts = profit.

Hell, we might even be able to handily afford things like universal healthcare, computers for everyone, millions of scholarships, etc...

We just need to get out of the whole murdering is our only real trade style economy.

Or we could just learn chinese

Just so you know. if taxes go up i lose my house and so does millions of others who are on the brink

If a removal of 4% of your income breaks you, then you suck at money managment.

You will then downgrade to something you can afford (hopefully with the valueable lesson not to purchase what you can't afford to begin with) and a housing boom will occur.

hey how about you tell that to the goverment, the ultiment sucker at money managment.

The statement was riged, i knew what your response would be. just wanted to low ball you with your own medican.

and no i cant down grade, like all other americans im upside down and trying to do the right thing other then walking away

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I could reduce the deficit overnight...simple! All i would do, is FIRE everyone in Washington DC, 5-0 would be bye-bye, the troops would be back home, doing their job...and i'd make everyone that received a bailout repay with 21% interest!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
One does not need a Calculator to fix the problem.
You need to stop the bleeding before you can heal the patient.
Cutting social programs and giving corporations tax breaks is not going to fix the problem.
1. Eliminate the federal res.
2 Bring back the gold standard
3 Bring home ALL U.S. troops.
4 Stop ALL foreign aid.
5 End all tax breaks, close all tax loop holes, stop all exemptions and have a low flat rate tax for all accross the board.( never said I agree with taxation)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78

Originally posted by chiefsmom
856.8!!
Guess I should run for president.
This just goes to show you that common sense and politics will never go hand in hand.

Congratulations on your budget decisions and being the only person so far, who has ACTUALLY USED the information provided in the exercise to make a decision....
and thanks for all the replies/comments from others.....keep them coming...

edit on 5/12/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

Issue with this grid is that there is -alot- that can be cut that will add a ton of new money after you compensated for the budget.

I chose just 2 and got success (bush tax cuts + sales tax 6.5%) however I also see drastic cuts in military can turn this country from a corporatist paradise to a decent socio-capitalist society that provides really fantastic standards of living for all while still driving people to get more should they wan't.

I think if we are going to be competitive to the far east in the next 20-30 years, our science initiatives must look like our military spending. We need public spending on heavy research and development for peaceful purposes...be it a new mode of transportation, a new form of internet, space exploration, etc...these things -need- to come far more than building a old military (like future war will depend on how many ground troops you have. heh...sure...give me 1 terminator to an entire platoon).

If we were to just cut a few things and keep things as they are, then we will see a sharp reduction of GDP and less and less tax dollars will continue to come in, meaning we will need to reduce more and more until we are all but a tribal village.

Investment in tech is needed...that is the meat and potatos for long term survival...and so far, we aren't investing in jack beyond materials to make 20th century bombs.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Print our own money. Don't borrow it. Limit banks ability to create money. Deficit will take care of itself.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Also you cannot straightline some of these items as the calculator is attempting to do. The money for "marketing" international trade, for example, is an item which should, if done correctly, reduce the deficit... not add to it.

They also need to have some steeper cut measures here. We do not need to "reduce" troops levels in Iraq and Afghanistan... we need an option for complete drawback from Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya as well as withdrawl from the UN Peacekeeping force and NATO's military arm. Furthermore, where is the option for institution of import tarriffs?

When they only provide half-assed options, the results will also be semi-coloned.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Ok I was looking for actual numbers and I see from the two decisions you made you cut $621 billion dollars from the deficit.

Again actual decision makers based upon the information given is the goal of this exercise, so congratulations on making a decision; that doesn't mean however that I necessarily agree or disagree with your choices.

As an Independent for many years, I weigh in all options before making a decision, and never accept "the party line".

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Ok I was looking for actual numbers and I see from the two decisions you made you cut $621 billion dollars from the deficit.

Yes, sorry...621 was the number
sadly it doesn't allow you to keep adding...I wanted to hack away at military also, then channel alot into tech investments

(meh, I am ambitious)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I think you can try it as many times as you wish from their page 1. Give it another shot and include the military cuts if that is what your decision is and let us know.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
cut tje defenc budget in half, Close the war on drugs, fruitless war, dont close road construction, they give jobs and facility to people, but cut the administration budget. and WTF with NASA, they are not helping US they are just making their expenses by fascinating us with stories of other worlds and possibility of another worlds and Hiding all in secret. NASA should be cut down atleast in half, they should join the eu space program with less investment and same stake,

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
And for those just joining this thread, you can go the deficit calculator here to make your decisions and let us know how you did.

www.aarp.org...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I think you can try it as many times as you wish from their page 1. Give it another shot and include the military cuts if that is what your decision is and let us know.

Fair enough...will try to keep things under until I hammer the BTC's...might be difficult though considering how easy it is to balance the budget

Kill list in order:
All military options (not enough listed, but meh)
Foreign Aid cut
cap/trade (not because I think it will help the environment, but it will stimulate technology to clean up their act when it hits their pocketbook..2 birds 1 stone)
Sales Tax 6.5
Bush Tax cuts

888.3 final number

Thats a 281b Surplus...however, that isn't enough. We need to use that money to start paying down the national debt. If we used this model and paid every last cent of the surplus towards nat-debt, it would take 53 years starting today.

We need a surplus of 1 trillion $ yearly to get out of this in 15 years and have a powerhouse economy.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Where is the box that I can shove my freaking "X" to negate all Patriout Act spending?
Jeesh, that alone ought to do it!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Thanks for mentioning the national debt SaturnFX.

Here's a good website with a lot of information to help explain our current financial situation in layman's terms, including debt load with charts and shows us the following:

U S National Debt Clock - shows current national debt, debt per citizen, and current U S population-(updated daily)

Major Categories of Federal Spending *

Foreign Holders of U S Treasury Securities - identified by country and billions of dollars held

Federal Revenues by Source*

Gross Public Debt as a Percentage of GDP since 1945*

* = 2008

Anyways, even though some of the data provided is from 2008, it gives us an overall picture of our situation, and unfortunately, it does not look good.

Source: www.uwsa.com...

There are a lot of ways the budget deficit can be reduced as presented in this chart, either solely by cuts and no additional taxation, or by taxation only, or by a combination of the two.

Why is it so hard for members of Congress to do the job (and I stress "MAKE THE DECISIONS NECESSARY") to take care of the problems...isn't that what we send them to Washington to do? To represent us?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I would like everyone to know, what we just took a total of 15 minutes to complete, our government as a whole has not been able to complete basically a budget for 2 1/2 years. This is pretty sad these guys get paid for this when it is clearly not a full time job. We need to go back to when they just worked a few months at the Hill and went back home to their real jobs to make a living. I would also like to claw back TARP, Congress Pension Plan, and every bailout. Not getting our troops down but out of the rest of the world and move them back here to defend our borders like it says in the constitution. I can go on but I assume we are the choir and are intelligent enough to solve these problems its the idiots that need this advice but I am guessing Obama and Co. do not have accounts here.....

-809 billion no sweat, did not feel bad about any cuts I made and in fact proud it can be done so easily. We need real people in office.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The NY Times had one of these last year.

I love how you can't edit anything and they limit your choices, there's no: "Wind down the global police state by closing 500 foreign military bases."

Instead we have "Slow the growth of Foreign Aid by 10%" ... I mean, 10% ... what a joke. Instead of growing it at, what, 150% this year only grow it by 140%? 10% cut is $4,600,000,000. So we're giving at $46 billion a year?

The sad state of things is that nobody wants to show us what can REALLY be cut.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
The government should just raise income taxes to 100%, that should cover all of their bills.

Actually they would still be almost $1 Trillion in the hole, even if they taxed at 100%

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by coolhanddan

Congrats on cutting $809 billion dollars from the deficit for purposes of this exercise. Anyone else care to give it a try?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join