It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Lobbies Nevada to Allow Self-Driving Cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Google, a pioneer of self-driving cars, is quietly lobbying for legislation that would make Nevada the first state where they could be legally operated on public roads.The two bills, which have received little attention outside Nevada’s Capitol, are being introduced less than a year after the giant search engine company acknowledged that it was developing cars that could be safely driven without human intervention.

Last year, in response to a reporter’s query about its then-secret research and development program, Google said it had test-driven robotic hybrid vehicles more than 140,000 miles on California roads — including Highway 1 between Los Angeles and San Francisco. More than 1,000 miles had been driven entirely autonomously at that point; one of the company’s engineers was testing some of the car’s autonomous features on his 50-mile commute from Berkeley to Google’s headquarters in Mountain View

NyTimes Source

Oh look future is finally here, ok they don't fly, but who wants to drive when we have so many mobile options available for us for communication, entertainment or whatever. I realize that many of us do take pleasure in the act of driving itself but I'd wager that most of us wouldn't mind having that done for us at times.

One interesting question i can see, if the car is completely in control at some point in the future who is liable when it has a wreck?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am all for it
Would certainly allow for a revision of DUI laws..however, taxi companys will be quite cross should it become a reality.

I wonder if you can pre-program trips so you don't even have to wake up to have your kids dropped off at school or whatnot...let someone borrow the car, but you program in their course so they cannot alter their course and must return at the time agreed upon

Every dad's dream to control their daughter
"no honey, you will be home by 11, or your walking"

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I agree there is a lot of ramifications, you could write a book on the changes this will bring in time. Taxis my guess will do fine the drivers well probably not so much. I wonder would you even need your own car could transportation be served with a community robotic motor pool?

If you can override these robotic controls at anytime then what is to stop some fool from swerving into someone and blaming the robot?

Who knows if Google will get it done but sooner or later this is going to all play out...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
If you can override these robotic controls at anytime then what is to stop some fool from swerving into someone and blaming the robot?

heh
I didn't hack your computer, my computer did.

Doesn't really hold up in court (unless you were used as a proxy of course). Measures would be taken to ensure that its highly difficult to tamper with (without leaving your fingerprints on it anyhow).

The self drive car has been around for awhile (in warehouses). I am totally for it, I see only bonuses

you could leave your home a hour early and eat breakfast and wake up while your being driven to work...expect a comeback of the old school van concept totally modded out to have a working kitchenette area, television, etc...

Then suddenly driving an hour one way to work will be nothing. Would also be able to remove traffic lights with precision programming and driving bumper to bumper at 100mph would be the norm..but thats down the line.
For now we need to support it..and your right, I think most "mobile cubes" will end up being rented and ordered whenever needed via the net verses purchased...a standard bathroom/bedroom moving model, or pay a bit extra and have a first class cube transporter.

The mind runs with ideas...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

data loggers are cheap enough to function as a " black box " recording all human interventions

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Wow, sweet!
For me this is the only way we will dramatically reduce traffic accidents, with no dumb humans on the wheels...

I, for one, welcome our new self-driving overlords!
The only thing that bothers me is that all the patents for this systems are owned by big corp... But that wont last much... We'll be there soon enough..... (cue marxist-muahahaha)
Drx

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Would certainly allow for a revision of DUI laws..

i dont know about other juristictions - but here in the UK the offence is " being in charge of a motor vehicle " , ie you dont have to be driving

so unless you are physically issolated from all control systems thus - sitting at the controls of an automonous vehicle would still be " in control " as you can overide the controls and take manual control at any time

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Would certainly allow for a revision of DUI laws..

i dont know about other juristictions - but here in the UK the offence is " being in charge of a motor vehicle " , ie you dont have to be driving

so unless you are physically issolated from all control systems thus - sitting at the controls of an automonous vehicle would still be " in control " as you can overide the controls and take manual control at any time

I don't disagree with that there is going to be a lot of arguments about who was/is in control/responsible. Given enough time I can see that eventually the machine will be in control enough that mental state of the operator will cease to matter.

whoa military jet just went overhead above the clouds heading north through michigan fast not supersonic unusual here

edit on 5/12/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I hate driving, so I'ma ll for it, itd be like that movie Minority Report, or iRobot

speaking of which, why dont they develop that safety foam from Demolition Man?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
With all the illegals here in Nevada that dont know how to drive and cause most of the wreckage on the roads, I welcome this.

Think of it.. you are with your girl...driving home late at night..home is like 30 min away...(you get where Im going with this)..so instead of pulling off to the side of the road, or risking crashing it over some road H, you can just "go to the back seat".

YAY.

I see nothing but good comming from this concept.

new topics

top topics

join