It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Babies Given Anti-Obesity Drugs In The Womb

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
reply to post by RUSSO

The first thought that came to mind when I read your thread title was "Are we living in Brave New World?"

I thought it was good if babies were at least somewhat chubby because their body needs the extra fat for growth and development? Wouldn't something like this cause for a whole slew of underdeveloped group of people?

What comes into my mind is that this have to be part of some sort of PTB agenda.
edit on 12-5-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
this crazy not all newborns from fat mothers are born overweight, thats just total BS and a well known fact .

what are they really trying to do?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwmjr1985
What are the side effects of this drug?

Does anyone remember this one?

“Thalidomide … was introduced as a sedative drug in the late 1950s. In 1961, it was withdrawn due to teratogenicity and neuropathy.”

“Thalidomide was sold in a number of countries across the world from 1957 until 1961 when it was withdrawn from the market after being found to be a cause of birth defects in what has been called “one of the biggest medical tragedies of modern times”.

Thalidomide

Hummm

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
this crazy not all newborns from fat mothers are born overweight, thats just total BS and a well known fact .

what are they really trying to do?

1962: FDA inspector Frances Oldham Kelsey receives an award from President John F. Kennedy for blocking sale of thalidomide in the United States.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
What is wrong with these women that:
1) They are not taking care of themselves while pregnant.
2) They would agree to have their babies drugged in the womb?

They don't even know what side affects this could have to these children down the road.
This is complete idiocy!

I think they have some clues:

Birth defects

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, more than 10,000 children in 46 countries were born with deformities such as phocomelia, as a consequence of thalidomide use.[14] The Australian obstetrician William McBride and the German pediatrician Widukind Lenz suspected a link between birth defects and the drug, and this was proved by Lenz in 1961.[15][16] McBride was later awarded a number of honours including a medal and prize money by the prestigious L'Institut de la Vie in Paris.[17]

In the United Kingdom the drug was licensed in 1958 and, of the approximately 2,000 babies born with defects, 466 survived.[18] The drug was withdrawn in 1961 and in 1968, after a long campaign by The Sunday Times newspaper, a compensation settlement for the UK victims was reached with Distillers Company Limited.[19][20] In Germany approximately 2,500 thalidomide babies were born.[16] In some extreme cases, it could kill the patient if there were other diseases or drugs in the body.

1962: FDA inspector Frances Oldham Kelsey receives an award from President John F. Kennedy for blocking sale of thalidomide in the United States
The impact in the United States was minimized when pharmacologist and M.D. Frances Oldham Kelsey refused Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for an application from the Richardson-Merrell company to market thalidomide, saying further studies were needed. And although thalidomide was never approved for sale in the United States, millions of tablets had been distributed to physicians during a clinical testing program. It was impossible to know how many pregnant women had been given the drug to help alleviate morning sickness or as a sedative.[21]

Canada was the last country to stop the sales of the drug, in early 1962.[22]

In 1962, the United States Congress enacted laws requiring tests for safety during pregnancy before a drug can receive approval for sale in the U.S.[23] Other countries enacted similar legislation, and thalidomide was not prescribed or sold for decades.

September 2010, as noted in an article titled "The Public’s Quiet Savior From Harmful Medicine", the FDA honored Dr. Kelsey with the first Kelsey award. It will be given to an FDA staff member annually. The award came 50 years after Dr. Kelsey, then a new medical officer at the agency, first reviewed the application from the William S. Merrell Company of Cincinnati

Source

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am curious as to what this drug will do to brain development. It is my understanding that one reason infants need fat is for brain development. Denying them that may cause all sorts of problems. Its just unbelievable.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
If more babies were breastfed from birth and until age 2 rather than force fed genetically modified corn syrup solids (read emfamil, similac, et al.) there would be less obese babies.

My kid's just fine.

boobs,

Sri Oracle

^This would be so ideal. Now Im not sure if its a modern thing or not, but I know a few mothers (one right now with twins) who have had trouble being able to breast feed. I remember my mother telling me if she was to breast feed me as a child only, I would of starved to death lol. Its kind of sad too, cause ive seen a few women feel alot of guilt over this, and have a negative view of themselves as being in adequate or ill-equipped to be a mother.

While medicine and technology have been great for us, it has made us so utterly lazy it seems. Motherhood I thought was a time of great change, and that having a living life inside you is a pretty big motivation for making lifestyle changes. And these mothers should really think about what they are missing on. Think about it, if they would only change their lifestyle they would be A-improving their own health and life, and B- giving a good healthy start for their child. Its a win win. And maybe its because im not female or have experienced maternal instincts, but I cant comprehend how these mothers find this as a better alternative. The whole idea behind this is disturbing to me on a few levels.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

This is so wrong...
I am shocked by this frankenstein type study.
I hope the babies will be okay.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is an obscenity. Babies are perfect weights and NATURE KNOWS BEST. Even the ones that are supersized like one of my sons, they wanted me to only nurse him half the amount, and thats all I did, he was a Budda, and his hair stood straight up. I refused. I said his father was a huge baby too, it ran in the family and they're all normal weights now and the doctor needed to upgrade his information because those studies on obese babies and toddlers being obese adults WERE FLAWED. That all babies needed whole milk or they shorted their brain development. They had put huge warnings on all the doctors offices because the 2% milk deal they had been promoting was HARMING BRAIN DEVELOPMENT IN CHILDREN. But he stopped growing out, just taller and by 8 months he was perfect, picture postcard baby. And he is now 6 2 and so thin he looks starving all the time.

You cannot starve or deplete the nutrition going to prenatal children unless you want them retarded and sick.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

That's all kinds of #ed up.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenVoyager
When will the madness end?

How about we teach parents about nutrition? Teach kids in school about nutrition? Promote exercise?

It's really not that complicated. Eat well, exericse and you should be in good shape, literally.

Seems many are givin up on the hard way and seek eaiser ways to obtain health, but I am not sure its healthy. But when you consider all the shots WE have taken as children who knows. I wouldnt let my childs mom take it. If the child comes out a lil extra healthy then as you stated its up to me the parent to prepare a healthy lifestyle for the child to grow. Some parents wouldnt set plan and may go for the easy way. Not saying this is not safe at all. It just seems new.
edit on 5/12/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Wait what? Seriously this is starting to go way too far. Unbelievable.

Second line because I'm speechless.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Erm,

Medication that obese Mothers have to take so that their babies are not obese???

Better education about nutrition, all round, would be a much more sensible option.

Neither myself, or my son's father are skinny but it did not stop my son being born a healthy/ normal 8lbs. He is very slim and has defined stomach muscles aged 4 (something I'm sure I never had, being a curvy girl)! This is most probably because we eat a healthy, balanced diet. All meals cooked fresh (nothing processed) and a variety of fruit & vegetables.

My son was bottle- fed and when it came to weaning he had home puréed fruit and vegetables, before moving onto puréed meals (cooked from scratch). He was introduced to a wide variety of food- stuffs and will now eat most things. Mac Donalds and the like were absolutely banned (tastes insipid and is toxic to the digestive system) and his palate has developed enough for him to realise it tastes awful. He now eats healthily and enjoys his food, whilst remaining slim.

Now if only there was medication that could be given to Mothers that would ensure their babies/ children would sleep properly

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

How come much of these insane pill popping stories seem to be coming out of the UK?
Do the people there know of the benefits of a healthy diet? Pills don't solve problems, they only treat the symptom. And in cases like this...it should be illegal.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
No doubt this will be like many other perscription drugs that are being used,tested,and taken before the REAL effects are known and I predict a series of horrible "issues" in say 10 years or so after the "real life" trials kick in as opposed to any clinical ones..
They are probably already gearing up for the lawsuits that will inevitably arise! Horrifying really...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
reply to post by RUSSO

How come much of these insane pill popping stories seem to be coming out of the UK?
Do the people there know of the benefits of a healthy diet? Pills don't solve problems, they only treat the symptom. And in cases like this...it should be illegal.

Seems they create a problem and pump us up with experimental substances that they sell as the answer.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
No doubt this will be like many other perscription drugs that are being used,tested,and taken before the REAL effects are known and I predict a series of horrible "issues" in say 10 years or so after the "real life" trials kick in as opposed to any clinical ones..
They are probably already gearing up for the lawsuits that will inevitably arise! Horrifying really...

This whole princess and prince stuff messed up some scientists cell brains there, I think.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
If more babies were breastfed from birth and until age 2 rather than force fed genetically modified corn syrup solids (read emfamil, similac, et al.) there would be less obese babies.

My kid's just fine.

boobs,

Sri Oracle

^This would be so ideal. Now Im not sure if its a modern thing or not, but I know a few mothers (one right now with twins) who have had trouble being able to breast feed. I remember my mother telling me if she was to breast feed me as a child only, I would of starved to death lol. Its kind of sad too, cause ive seen a few women feel alot of guilt over this, and have a negative view of themselves as being in adequate or ill-equipped to be a mother.

While medicine and technology have been great for us, it has made us so utterly lazy it seems. Motherhood I thought was a time of great change, and that having a living life inside you is a pretty big motivation for making lifestyle changes. And these mothers should really think about what they are missing on. Think about it, if they would only change their lifestyle they would be A-improving their own health and life, and B- giving a good healthy start for their child. Its a win win. And maybe its because im not female or have experienced maternal instincts, but I cant comprehend how these mothers find this as a better alternative. The whole idea behind this is disturbing to me on a few levels.

My baby is 7 1/2 months old and has pretty much been exclusively breast fed up until now. I am totally exhausted from nursing if i let him he'd still be doing it every 4 hours as well as 2-3 times in the night. I have not had more than a 5 hour uninterrupted sleep since he was born. I have been supplementing with formula sometimes just to give myself a break and because he gets fussy like he's not getting enough. I tried pumping but it took me 3 days to get 6 ounces. Not practical. If I'm not attached to the pump then I'm attached to him. I've done my very best though in giving him the healthiest start possible. I'd love to be able to do it until he's 2 years old. I plan on giving him almond milk in the future when he's old enough, as I don't have any access to raw organic milk and I think the diary these days is utter crap.

I feel guilty but at the same time I am doing my best. He's extremely healthy and strong, and almost walking on his own. Now that he's starting solids it's forcing me even more to be aware of what I'm eating because he wants to eat whatever I'm eating. I can't be setting a bad example.

I think the human body has an amazing ability to be able to recover and knows exactly what it's doing. I just wish that more mothers were educated on healthy diet so there wouldn't be these concerns in the first place. It must be a big issue if they're making a drug for it. Once again treating the symptom not the problem. Can you say cha ching! Probably start encouraging mothers who are even slightly over their recommended BMI that they need to have this and if they don't they're children will be in danger. CHA CHING!

*sigh*

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

You cannot starve or deplete the nutrition going to prenatal children unless you want them retarded and sick.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Maybe this is exactly what they want. Call me paranoid, but this news bring me the worst thoughts.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Metformin is a drug for the control of blood sugar in type II diabetic's. If I am not mistaken it stops the liver from producing glucose during the time when your blood sugar drops and the body produces it's own to balance your system in a normal person. Wow it's just hard to believe they are going to do this. The things ATS folks find out there just amaze me.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join