It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Babies Given Anti-Obesity Drugs In The Womb

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Babies Given Anti-Obesity Drugs In The Womb

www.telegraph.co.uk

Babies to be given diet drug in the womb to stop them being born overweight in trial described as ‘disturbing’ by weight loss groups.

One hundred obese mums-to-be will be given Metformin as part of a three-year study to tackle obesity rates and reduce the number of difficult births.

Patients at Liverpool Women's Hospital will be given the drug to reduce the food supply to their unborn babies, although it will not help the mums themselves to lose weight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Its a "brave new world" Insanity. That is disgusting. Why not eat too much and get exercise when they're expecting?

People just dont want to take responsibility for themselves anymore, and where theres a need big business finds a way.

How many babies come out of the womb overweight? I always thought a plump baby was a healthy one. This is ridiculous, unnecessary and very disturbing. The obesity problem that happens later on in many children would be a direct result of their parents feeding them too many processed foods, ect.....

So what they are saying is because the parent is obese, then the child automatically is going to eventually be obese too? How can they claim to know this for certain and talk about gullible parents ready to use their babies as guinea pigs?

Things like this make me wants to give a lobotomy to this so-called scientists. Parents who use their babies like this deserves one too.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-5-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
When will the madness end?

How about we teach parents about nutrition? Teach kids in school about nutrition? Promote exercise?

It's really not that complicated. Eat well, exericse and you should be in good shape, literally.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I wouldn't even want to have a kid if I was extremely obese. I would feel it highly irresponsible to bring a child into the world at a disadvantage in terms of health. When I was pregnant I exercised up until 8 months and ate as healthy as I could, kind of gave into all my cravings at 9 months, but regardless the most important thing on my mind was the health of my little boy. And giving him the best possible start in life that I could.
edit on 12-5-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenVoyager

How about we teach parents about nutrition? Teach kids in school about nutrition? Promote exercise?

It's really not that complicated. Eat well, exericse and you should be in good shape, literally.

I agree.. But the exercise is a lil tough these days in schools.. They can't even play tag (assault) or dodge ball (assault with a weapon) anymore.. Lil Johnny might get a boo boo.. Reminds me of the silly helmets people/kids wear these days when riding a bike.

Deebo
edit on 12-5-2011 by Deebo because: fix

edit on 12-5-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think what they're saying is that the mother is eating so much disgusting, fattening crap that the baby is a fatty before it can even decide what it wants to eat. The fat baby is difficult to deliver and suffers from other health risks.

If mom is going to be so irresponsible that her face-stuffing endangers the unborn child, maybe letting a doctor look out for the child's well-being isn't such a bad idea.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

I agree.. But the exercise is a lil tough these days in schools.. They can't even play tag (assault) or dodge ball (assault with a weapon) anymore.. Lil Johnny might get a boo boo.. Reminds me of the silly helmets people wear these days when riding a bike.

Deebo
edit on 12-5-2011 by Deebo because: fix

You have a point. I remember in my home town a couple years ago watching most of the old metal jungle gyms being removed and replaced with lame all plastic ones. Reason being? Parents were suing the city because their child fell off and broke an arm or a leg. Watch your child don't deprive them of the opportunity to grow and exercise because of your negligence. Makes me

edit on 12-5-2011 by seeker11 because: spelling erro

link   
Has the west forgotten how to exercise?

Haha, how pathetic.

link   
I wonder how this would affect them after they are born. Babies are supposed to gain weight... It is a part of their bodies development. Babies get chubby for a reason.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
I wouldn't even want to have a kid if I was extremely obese. I would feel it highly irresponsible to bring a child into the world at a disadvantage in terms of health. When I was pregnant I exercised up until 8 months and ate as healthy as I could, kind of gave into all my cravings at 9 months, but regardless the most important thing on my mind was the health of my little boy. And giving him the best possible start in life that I could.

Do you believe in this? Parents drugging babies in the womb because they are too stupid or too lazy?

Just unbelievable.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
Has the west forgotten how to exercise?

Haha, how pathetic.

Lol yes there are many of other ways to exercise, but you get my point.. Running and regular exercises, as a kid, are no fun! I wanna nail another person with a ball, or chase their butt down and tag them. Times sure have changed. Remember red rover? Lol.

Deebo
edit on 12-5-2011 by Deebo because: add

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If more babies were breastfed from birth and until age 2 rather than force fed genetically modified corn syrup solids (read emfamil, similac, et al.) there would be less obese babies.

My kid's just fine.

boobs,

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO

Originally posted by seeker11

Do you believe in this? Parents drugging babies in the womb because they are too stupid or too lazy?

Just unbelievable.

I most certainly did not say I believed in it. I believe if you can't be responsible enough to give your child the best start it can in life healthwise that you can, than why have one at all? I don't want to say highly obese people shouldn't be allowed to have children or anything because some have relevant conditions that can't be helped. I just feel bad that a child could be at a disadvantage because of their mothers health choices. Just like drugs or alcohol that could cause problems, so can diet for the unborn baby. The less you excerise during your pregnancy and eat crappy you're setting up your child for diet problems in the future.

A study to be published in the Journal of Diabetes shows the effect a pregnant mother's diet has on her child's future development.

It's thought that a growing baby attempts to predict the environment it will be born into. To do this it takes cues from its mother and adjusts its DNA from there. This phenomenon, in which diet changes the function of genes, is called an epigenetic change.

The study found that mothers with early pregnancy diets low in carbs, such as sugars and starch, had children with "epigenetic markers", which were linked to the child's obesity at ages six and nine.

Professor Mark Hanson, of the British Heart Foundation, said: "This study provides compelling evidence that epigenetic changes, at least in part, explain the link between a poor start to life and later disease risk. It strengthens the case for all women of reproductive age having greater access to nutritional, education and lifestyle support to improve the health of the next generation, and to reduce the risk of the conditions such as diabetes and heart disease, which often follow obesity."

www.modernmom.com...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
What is wrong with these women that:
1) They are not taking care of themselves while pregnant.
2) They would agree to have their babies drugged in the womb?

They don't even know what side affects this could have to these children down the road.
This is complete idiocy!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
What are the side effects of this drug?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

I undestood you. What I mean was this is unbelievable

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A case study of one:

My children's mother was 292 lbs, 5'4" when my 1st child a boy was born. She was very obese and ended up getting gastric bypass surgery. I watched what she ate as best as I could and tried to prevent her from smoking/drinking while she was pregnant. Obviously, she had to be on board with caring for her unborn child. Our relationship was rocky and I am sure she stressed plenty and she gave in to her creature comforts.

My son is now 7 1/2. Not fat at all... looks a little skinny... he is very bright and active with sports soccer/baseball... Obviously I am concerned about potential weight problems in as much as genetics would play a factor. I eat well and exercise and I watch what they eat when they are with me. Their mother eats alot of junk food, high sugary drinks etc.

I believe being a good responsible parent with regard to diet and exercise goes a long way in preventing obesity. I could care less what the odds are. They are stacked against me as they usually are. I believe in doing what is right and everything usually falls into place, or maybe I get lucky.

Give an unborn child unneeded drugs to prevent obesity... what happens when these drugs are later linked to some other illness or disability?

GV

My younger daughter is very skinny too and super active.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yeah this is a great idea. I'm sure no ill side effects will be had for the babies.

Treadmill people, not drugs. Simple.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenVoyager

Yeah...In my opinion it would be adding to the problem to give them drugs. The cure is with the mother, and if this isn't possible then the cure begins at birth and all the choices you make for the child regarding diet and exercise. Throwing a drug into the mix just seems idiotic.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

The first thought that came to mind when I read your thread title was "Are we living in Brave New World?"

I thought it was good if babies were at least somewhat chubby because their body needs the extra fat for growth and development? Wouldn't something like this cause for a whole slew of underdeveloped group of people?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join