It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: "Nothing More Important" Than A Government Job

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

However, federal
civilian workers with no more than a high school education
earned about 21 percent more, on average, than
similar workers in the private sector, whereas federal
workers with a professional degree or doctorate earned
about 23 percent less, on average, than their private sector
counterparts.

cbo.gov

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
For those of you who are claiming that the government and number of employees are getting bloated, that is also inaccurate, as the number of employees per the population has been steadily dropping:

The number of federal workers per 1000 people is now at 8.4.

It was 13.3 under the Kennedy Administration.

washingtonpost.com

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by macman

However, federal
civilian workers with no more than a high school education
earned about 21 percent more, on average, than
similar workers in the private sector, whereas federal
workers with a professional degree or doctorate earned
about 23 percent less, on average, than their private sector
counterparts.

cbo.gov

That is nice.
But, what is a 1 to 1 comparison?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

For those of you who are claiming that the government and number of employees are getting bloated, that is also inaccurate, as the number of employees per the population has been steadily dropping:

The number of federal workers per 1000 people is now at 8.4.

It was 13.3 under the Kennedy Administration.

washingtonpost.com

Nice to Cheery Pick numbers from the states
Executive Branch civilians Total U.S. population Executive Branch employees per 1,000 population
1962 (Kennedy) 2.48 million 186.5 million 13.3
1964 (Johnson) 2.47 million 191.8 million 12.9
1970 (Nixon) 2.94 million* 205 million 14.4
1975 (Ford) 2.84 million 215.9 million 13.2
1978 (Carter) 2.87 million 222.5 million 12.9
1982 (Reagan) 2.77 million 232.1 million 11.9
1990 (Bush) 3.06 million* 249.6 million 12.3
1994 (Clinton) 2.9 million 263.1 million 11.1
2002 (Bush) 2.63 million 287.8 million 9.1
2010 (Obama) 2.65 million+ 310.3 million+ 8.4+

Oh geez, 2.65 Million in the executive branch now alone.
2.65 is more then 2.63 any day of the week.
That number should be going down.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

You are totally missing the point in an effort to hate everything...I don't like Government either, but stop and think for just a second.

The point is a philosophical one.

"There is no higher honor than service to humanity or another human being". Key word..."Service".

The idea is, putting the needs of another before your own is the most honorable form of service there is.

The Gov "used" to be "civil servants"...people that took less pay because they wanted to make a difference in society...locally, regionally, nationally or the world. Now...most "civil servants" have bad attitudes and are there either because they don't want to have to "perform" or they are there to suck on benefits.

It used to not be that way. When they started "adjusting" the civil service exam test scores, they shot one in the coal bucket. All the variables that can add to your civil service test scores are a joke...it's no wonder they have so many idjets working in the public sector.

ETA:
You get points added to your score if you are a veteran
You get points added to your score if you are disabled
You get points added to your score if you are female
You get points added to your score if your are of "minority" race.

So...and this is not to be racist or sexist...just an observation.
If you are a disabled female, african-american veteran...you can get a crappy score on the test and by the time it is adjusted...you are at the top of the scoring list....
edit on 10/9/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

But, but, but...they deserve it...don't they.

OPM sucks in my ever so humble opinion.

And this, coming from one who meets two of the criteria.

I refuse to work for the government ever again...unless it is cutting grass or plowing snow off the roads...I enjoy those endeavors.

edit on 9-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

You are totally missing the point in an effort to hate everything...I don't like Government either, but stop and think for just a second.

The point is a philosophical one.

"There is no higher honor than service to humanity or another human being". Key word..."Service".

The idea is, putting the needs of another before your own is the most honorable form of service there is.

The Gov "used" to be "civil servants"...people that took less pay because they wanted to make a difference in society...locally, regionally, nationally or the world. Now...most "civil servants" have bad attitudes and are there either because they don't want to have to "perform" or they are there to suck on benefits.

It used to not be that way. When they started "adjusting" the civil service exam test scores, they shot one in the coal bucket. All the variables that can add to your civil service test scores are a joke...it's no wonder they have so many idjets working in the public sector.

ETA:
You get points added to your score if you are a veteran
You get points added to your score if you are disabled
You get points added to your score if you are female
You get points added to your score if your are of "minority" race.

So...and this is not to be racist or sexist...just an observation.
If you are a disabled female, african-american veteran...you can get a crappy score on the test and by the time it is adjusted...you are at the top of the scoring list....
edit on 10/9/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

I took no test. I don't know anyone that took a test. We applied, had the required degrees, interviewed, and were selected. yes there are 5 point and 10 point veteran preferences, as there should be. There are also points for being disabled. There are no points for being female or a minority. maybe the postal services still uses the civil service test, but the federal government certainly does not.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

reply to post by kjburto

This is such a jeuvanile arguement. As long as you are using roads, emergency services, putting your garbage on the curb,water, energy, parks, bad guys going to jail, and education, you are getting a return on your taxes.

not quite. the percentage of tax that provides those services is so minimal and the individual use of those services equally minimal that the comment itself is simply outrageous.

fyi ... roads existed long before the "maintenance scheme" began.
emergency services are not provided for "free" as you suggest ... take an ambulance ride and please share your portion of the Bill with everyone.
10yrs ago for me it was $800+ ... and i was semi-conscious.

taxes for garbage pickup ?? -- try again.
in this region, that service is included in a separate bill from the County utility (water) dept.

water ? - separate bill each month. same with power/energy.

parks, yeah sure, but i don't use all of them so why should i have to pay for them ??
why can't i just pay for the ones i use and leave it at that ??

bad guys going to jail ?? if you say so.
but since i've invested in my own security, the bad guys 'round here don't get the opportunity to go to jail. (at the taxpayers expense)

hmmmm, my taxes pay for everyone else's (especially illegal immigrants) education, that's true ... so, why didn't/aren't your taxes paying for mine ??

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

ya gotta love the math skills these days

just thouth i'd point out that 8% of 310 million is STILL more than 13% of 186 million ppl.

so, even if the % were 6% less from Kennedy to 2010 (which it isn't), in this current administration, there are still many more government employees than ever.

which btw is quite the enigma of a "self-governing society" as the US claims to be.
edit on 10-10-2012 by Honor93 because: add text

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

I completely agree with the importance of government jobs, but then again I'm biased. Truthfully, most people that think government jobs are unimportant or filled by lazy people simply have no experience in the matter. I protect your tax dollars every single day and I'm damned good at it.

Hahahahaha. Hoooo, thanks for the laugh!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join