Entire Orleans Levee District Police force to be laid off

page: 1

join

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
And.... what happens if another Katrina shows up? Nothing...

Entire Orleans Levee District Police force to be laid off

New Orleans - FOX 8 has learned in less than two months, the entire Orleans Levee District Police Department will be laid off.

Originally, it appeared only half the department would be let go due to lack of funding. But new information from the state civil service commission points to the even direr scenario.

Both the flood authority and the non-flood authority confirm to FOX 8 that every officer, despite their seniority, will be let go June 30.

According to civil service, that means all of the officers must be let go and the flood authority must now form a whole new police department to patrol Lakeshore Drive, the surrounding neighborhoods and more than a hundred miles of levees and floodgates in Orleans Parish.

The flood authority says it does not know yet how many officers will be hired or if any of the current officers will be re-hired. The positions will be advertised statewide.

At least they'll hire new officers... but how many will they actually hire? Obviously less than the current number, but how many less?

But are those officers really needed? They could use the regular police to patrol the levees.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Laid off? I thought most of them got arrest and jailed for shooting unarmed and non-criminal activity during the Big One? Remember, shooting those poor people who were on the bridge?

Or are you talking about all of those cops that broke into that Car dealership and cleaned out the goods?

Or the ones who fled the city in panic-in police cars?

Seems to me like maybe they should disbanned the whole New Orleans PD and start anew anyway.

This could actually be a good thing.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There wasnt total anarchy during Katrina?

The national guard did most of the policing and confiscating.

All I remember the cops doing was shooting people and calling them looters.

A good number of them were found guilty of their crimes in the years following.

Henry Glover comes to mind. A scene on a bridge comes to mind.

The only hero during Katrina was that guy with the tub of Heineken. Everybody else was behaving criminally. The nurses, guardsmen, police, feds, etc...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The only hero during Katrina was that guy with the tub of Heineken. Everybody else was behaving criminally. The nurses, guardsmen, police, feds, etc...

About the nurses... I have a story.

In a hospital not far from New Orleans, all nurses and doctors left the hospital leaving a bunch of patients, which were in terminal phase with a few weeks to live, alone... except one nurse. One nurse stayed.

With crazy heat, no food, almost no clean water, she stayed with those patients... And as no help was coming, those patients were dying of dehydration... which is one of the worst ways to die, it's a slow and painful death... So the nurse, seeing this after a few days and seeing how the patients were suffering atrociously, decided to ``euthanize`` them... so they would not suffer no more, and since they were already going to die anyway in the next few days, it was better to save them from all this suffering they would have to go through.

Of course she got sued by the families and charged with murder of those patients... but it turned out she was acquitted...because the lady obviously didn't kill those patients because she's was a murderer but because she offered them a ``peaceful`` death... over days of suffering. (I don't know if it's 100% true, but if it is, it's a amazing story)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You're going to see tens and hundreds of thousands of state and municiple layoffs coming across the country . The states can't cover the unfunded liabilities , mostly state and municiple pension plans . Way too much debt and way too little contribution . Many municipalities and states are on the brink right now as they all require borrowed money to operate and the money is borrowed by selling municiple and state bonds which no longer look like good investments so the buyers aren't lining up to buy .

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Its about damn time. I wish they'd lay off a few more departments. Our police are so corrupt, it is unreal. I think we should throw out all of them and start fresh.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
There wasnt total anarchy during Katrina?

The national guard did most of the policing and confiscating.

All I remember the cops doing was shooting people and calling them looters.

A good number of them were found guilty of their crimes in the years following.

Henry Glover comes to mind. A scene on a bridge comes to mind.

Couldn't say it better myself.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Some miss-information floating around here I see.

These people are being layed off because the Levee Board is combining several local levee boards into one that essentially getting rid of excess.

this isnt some slash and grab but rather an opprotunity to streamline several levee boards into one regional board. There was a lot of confusion during katrina in regards to the mission of the levee board.

Nothing really to see here, move on.

new topics
top topics

join