It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Colin Powell Chief of Staff: Bush didn't want to get bin Laden

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
"I dont think, ... I dont think...." he said that twice like he was trying to sneak it in. After that he talks like its fact...
edit on 12-5-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Colin Powell should be stripped of his military retirement checks and put in Federal Prison for admitting to a felony on National TV.

He said he hires illegal aliens to work on his house instead of hiring Americans. You give him a lush military retirement check and he's been using it to hire illegal aliens from who knows where to work...using that free money you give him to not hire Americans.

Colin Powell's no American.

The truth is that you are right, many Americans are part of the problem when it comes to illegal immigration, how many of us eat at restaurants where the person who brings our water or rolls is likely not documented, but we don't ask and eat there anyway. How many of us buy tomatoes likely picked by illegal labor or steaks or chickens slaughtered and butchrered by the same. Not to mention how many of us hire illegal gardeners, baby sitters, house keepers etc.

That though is almost nothing to those who shop at Wal-Mart.

Americans seem to love the notion of the government forcing them to do what they don't want to do themselves, but then oddly cry when the government forces them to do things that they don't want to do themselves.

Life, it's a funny old dog.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I believe that Powell was another true American who got in over his head. Talk about reading facial expression and body language, his just about screamed deception and coercion and his own disbelief when he talked about yellow cake, the war on terror, et al. It seemed that everything about his service with the Bush administration rubbed him wrong. He distanced himself from that administration as soon as he could and has been on a short leash and very cautious in his wording since, probably the deal he had to make to get away alive. Something isn't right there.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Powell had/has a soldier's love of honor, and I don't blame him a bit because he was truly used when it came to the Weapons of Mass Destruction report, that he felt forever tarnished his image and credibility since he was the one tasked to deliver it to the UN.

Powell a soldier's soldier who saw combat in Vietnam and steadily rose through the ranks, unlike the politicians in Washington has seen the effects of war up close and personal, your dead buddies, dead civilians, women and children, and as such knows better than most the true cost of war.

I am sure it was very distressing to him, that he had succesfully argued for a war based on false intelligence and lies and that part of what gave it credibility was his own good name.

Let's face it though, whether it's a democrat or a republican in the White House they all seem to love war, and how waging one successfully can not only play to their constituents but the big dollar corporate powers who get rich off of war.

Partisan arguments would hold more sway in this case had a lot of Bush's war on terror Homeland Security and Patriot Act policies that deprive Americans liberty, and dignities had been reversed.

I see the current administration as four more years of George Bush.

Something evidenced recently in Slayer69's thread where on a pre-election David Letterman talk show Dave's opening monologue was in part based on McCain wanting to kill Bin Laden outright, and Obama wanting to bring him to the United States for trial.

Yet if you want to believe the official story when the moment of truth arrived, Obama gave the consent to kill him outright.

I wouldn't let partisan sniping get in the way of the real disservice to humanity that the War on Terror is doing, and neither President in question has done one thing to curb it's excesses or wind it down.

In fact its still being racheted up, where shadowy organizations throughout the Middle East with suspected ties to terrorists themselves are being given money, weapons, and recognition and other forms of support.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Powell should have known better but for some reason he didn't. I think his world probably changed when he realized what was honestly and truly happening and he wanted no part of it. But that's just been my impression from the years running up to this through now.

It's not about 4 more years of Bush of Obama or whoever. It's about the continuous and perpetual the people really in control of our government believe is needed to save either our country or their status or both.

And yes, the highest probabilities and most likely scenarios are that this was pure opportunism or manipulated and created drama or that, if on the off chance OBL was still alive, it was an accidental or even situationally warranted shooting than that the president giving the order to kill.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It would explain why he got away in the mountains of Tora Bora. I have always suspected that Bush 'let him go' to maintain the idea of the bogeyman out there - so he could get support for the Iraq war. But it's nice to hear an official voice give credence to my suspicions

Yes I had heard from a guy connected to the military (I live near a military base) that he was actually caught by his former group and they were ordered to let him go. The Commanding Officer allegedly just about blew a gasket.

Even if you are the guy who shot the bullet you do not know if the man you shot WAS OBL. It would take DNA tests and comparison to relatives to give at least some evidence and even that would not be 100%

Now with the body gone that is academic.

My take is that it was very convenient timing. I used thoughts from another thought provoking Proto thread to write this thread: Napolitano sets stage for False Flag Terrorist Attack

In a nutshell, I outline how "Homeland Security" removed hundreds of border patrol agents from the Mexican Border, derailed the border fence authorized by Congress in 2006 and then cancels the Border Fence Project in January of this year. Ms. Napolitano justified to lawmakers a 30 percent budget reduction for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. (March 17, 2010) Finally in June and July of this year the last of the four border states are losing their National Guard troops Worse while Minuteman civilian patrols are keeping an eye out for illegal border crossers, the U.S. Border Patrol is keeping an eye out for Minutemen -- and telling the CORRUPT Mexican government where they are!

Here is the reality on the border:

Administration Will Cut Border Patrol Deployed on U.S-Mexico Border - September 24, 2009
Even though the Border Patrol now reports that almost 1,300 miles of the U.S.-Mexico border is not under effective control, and the Department of Justice says that vast stretches of the border are “easily breached,” and the Government Accountability Office has revealed that three persons “linked to terrorism” and 530 aliens from “special interest countries” were intercepted at Border Patrol checkpoints last year, the administration is nonetheless now planning to decrease the number of Border Patrol agents deployed on the U.S.-Mexico border....

....the Obama administration on May 7 said the Border Patrol “plans to move several hundred Agents from the Southwest Border...

Opening the borders wide to "invite attack" as the government did at Pearl Harbor in 1941, is the only explanation for this insanity. See: Days of Infamy

The State of Arizona is in a panic over what is happening and is trying to step into the breach. From re-instituting a Arizona Citizens Militia (Arizona Senate approves state militia bill ) to building the border fence using donations (Arizona to solicit donations to build border fence )

You really have to look at the alleged shooting in context. Especially since the campaign for pres. is also heating up.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I have the mindset that border security in the US in the specific context of terrorism related security vs. immigration is absolutely nothing more than political pandering.

For a determined terrorist that wants to enter the USA...the Canadian border is WIDE open. Any Canuk with a canoe could tell you that. Thousands of miles of unmonitored wilderness. Not sure why any terrorist would even mess with the Mexican border. Drug dealers? Yes Illegal Immigrants? yes...terrorists? Doesn't make any sense....convenient political pandering though. "terrorist threat" pushes the right buttons.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

No not a democratic or republican president could buy them off but some friendly golf club and tennis vacation loving members of the Corporate Lobbyist brigade sure could.

Yes, we have to keep in mind WHO actually OWNS Congress and it sure isn't the American people.

In one hundred years we have had three, just three, Congressman go after the Fed.
Congressman McFadden, Congressman Lindbergh, and Congressman Patman. Others made noises occasionally but only these three, to my knowledge, actually brought charges against the Fed or Sec of Treasury.

That indicates that Congress knows who holds the purse-strings and they are not about to get on their wrong side.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
To me the whole thing played out in a way that was very telling. We remember when the Bin Laden name was at the forefront and it was imperative to get the so called mastermind. Supposedly we inserted the special forces and CIA into Afghanistan well in advance of our conventional forces.

There was a very public discourse in the leadership at that time about the number of troops being sent. The commanders wanted more and the White House thought that what they sent was sufficient. So here we have the opening shots of anxiety for the public. Is Bush serious about this or not? He knows what he's doing. On it went.

In 2002, just a year after this we started hearing of audio and video tapes of this great terror mastermind. The tapes were always supposedly analyzed and poured over by voice recognition experts and intelligence analyst so in the public eye these were very significant. We were all still experiencing apprehension about whether there were enough resources committed to catching this wizard of terror.

Experts said the taped message — in which the speaker praised last month's terrorist strikes in Bali and Moscow and warned U.S. allies to back away from plans to attack Iraq — could be the prelude to a new major terror attack.

The above is from November 2002 just a little over a year after the event. We now know that the tower of terror has escaped our efforts at catching or killing him and we are now being told that he is in fact menacing the United States from afar and that we have no idea where he could be. Notice though that the message was sure to include a warning about attacking Iraq.

With everyone still anxious about this apparent terror mastermind and with our apprehension about Bush's seriousness and dedication to catching him, we are now seeing that the terrorist is warning us not to attack Iraq. Well I will be the first to admit that this little concoction of emotions made me want our forces to invade Iraq because I suddenly had the epiphany that the mastermind was indeed in Iraq. It's the only reason he would be warning us not to attack. Very well played.

The failure to learn more solid information on bin Laden's fate has been a major source of frustration for the Bush administration — a frustration the new tape only increases. Shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks, Bush said he wanted bin Laden "dead or alive." More recently, Bush has sought to play down bin Laden's individual significance.

With the public's confused but determined attitude for ending this nightmare, Bush seems to be lackadaisical in his approach to confronting the challenge. We now believe that finding this mastermind will effectively put an end to our horrors because Bush is just seemingly too dumb for the task. It's simple, invade Iraq and get him.

Larry Johnson, deputy chief of counterterrorism in the first Bush administration, said the tape suggests bin Laden's Al Qaeda operation remains in business "as a heretical branch of Islam combined with the criminal instincts of the Mafia. It also may signal another major attack coming up." "I am struck by the fact that they did not release a videotape," Johnson added. He said that Al Qaeda might be planning to release a videotape once a new attack is carried out.

Raising the apprehension levels and giving everyone a new sense of urgency is paramount. The attacks are coming, we have to do something. This terror mastermind was used for more than just invading Iraq. Do we remember when Bush and Kerry were campaigning? The two bonesmen from Yale.

Bin Laden wants Kerry elected, Thompson says - Osama Bin Laden's video taped threat just days before the Presidential election was designed to help Democratic Sen. John Kerry get elected, cabinet secretary and former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy G. Thompson said Saturday.

Link

Fast forward to present day and we see that Bin Laden is the gift that keeps on giving. With Obama's reelection campaign launching what better way to get traction than to eliminate this menace?

The way I see it, Bush didn't want to get Bin Laden. Colin Powell is telling the truth. I'm not sure the guy even existed at this point.

Link for external content.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

No not a democratic or republican president could buy them off but some friendly golf club and tennis vacation loving members of the Corporate Lobbyist brigade sure could.

Yes, we have to keep in mind WHO actually OWNS Congress and it sure isn't the American people.

In one hundred years we have had three, just three, Congressman go after the Fed.
Congressman McFadden, Congressman Lindbergh, and Congressman Patman. Others made noises occasionally but only these three, to my knowledge, actually brought charges against the Fed or Sec of Treasury.

That indicates that Congress knows who holds the purse-strings and they are not about to get on their wrong side.

To me Partisan politics as it's viewed by too many citizens is treated like a team sport.

Where it's often about what your team can get away with, to claim some hollow victory to validate your choice of team as opposed to what really makes sense for the American people as a whole.

Some would like to pretend this is some kind of great coup in the 'war on terror' but the truth is that we as a nation sure haven't reached our state objectives in Iraq or Afghanistan, so the thought that there is some great victory here is absurd.

A resurgent Taliban is still firmly in control of much of Afghanistan and are increasingly being courted to be brought into the Karzai government in some hopes that a compromise will win the war and more importantly the peace.

In Iraq where there are no weapons of mass destruction we are still propping up with money and arms, and soldiers a heavily fortified small area of the capitol where a puppet government installed by us has little to no credibility with the bulk of the Iraqi people as the nation has descended into a decade of sectarian violence now.

Are these victories?

Some in political parties for the sake of a politician and not the American people will try to twist some singular asptec to claim some kind of victory.

Yet the truth is all these places are worse off for our efforts and with a 14 trillion dollar national debt, and too many dead and crippled soldiers we ae all the worse off for it too.

The way average people often like to play politics is no different than a Lakers or Celtics fan, where scoring a point is everything, regardless the penalties incurred.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

To me the whole thing played out in a way that was very telling....

Nice analysis Jackflap.

If there is one thing I am sure of, it is we do not know what is really going on and they are not about to tell us.

I often feel like a Mushroom....

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The way average people often like to play politics is no different than a Lakers or Celtics fan, where scoring a point is everything, regardless the penalties incurred.

A darn good reason to be an independent, now if I just had something to vote FOR. I am getting sick of the lesser of two evils or vote the big hogs out and replace with piglets strategy.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

A darn good reason to be an independent, now if I just had something to vote FOR. I am getting sick of the lesser of two evils or vote the big hogs out and replace with piglets strategy.

Jackflap sure makes some awesome well researched posts. It's hard not to find something insightful and agreeable in them. I always enjoy reading them and yours too by the way.

Personally I don't think the system can be salvaged or changed from within, it's too corrupted by too many special and corporate interests for the people to ever have influence on it at this stage, and the politicians too entrenched in the graft and largesse to ever want to pass legislation to cut out the corporate lobbyists, and special interest access that basically makes your lawmaker unavailable and disinterested in you.

It's a real dilema we are facing, and in part stories like this show how dismayed many involved within the process are with the process, the dishonesty, the double speak the contant angling for position and agenda and manipulation in secretive ways.

Lou Dobbs was right, we have the best Government here in America that money can buy!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Personally I don't think the system can be salvaged or changed from within, it's too corrupted by too many special and corporate interests for the people to ever have influence on it at this stage, and the politicians too entrenched in the graft and largesse to ever want to pass legislation to cut out the corporate lobbyists, and special interest access that basically makes your lawmaker unavailable and disinterested in you.

It's a real dilemna we are facing, and in part stories like this show how dismayed many involved within the process are with the process, the dishonesty, the double speak the contant angling for position and agenda and manipulation in secretive ways.

It is a major problem.

That is why I suggest a change at the STATE level. This is because we had one of the best systems going and I am afraid that like those in the Middle East, open revolt will just give TPTB the opening to bring in the totalitarian dictatorship they are working towards that much faster.

2002 Autobiography by David Rockefeller “Memoirs” [page 405]
" “For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents... to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as “internationalists and of conspiring with others around the world ... If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.”

At the Bilderberg conference of the world business elite in Baden-Baden , Germany , June 1991 , multibillionaire David Rockefeller opened the meeting with those remarks : 

"We are grateful to the Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. . . . It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries." www.newswithviews.com...

This seems realistic given:
U.S. Congressional Record February 9, 1917: J.P. Morgan interests bought 25 of America's leading newspapers, and inserted their own editors, in order to control the media. www.mindfully.org...

JP Morgan: Our next big media player? (April 13, 2010) JP Morgan controls 54 U.S. daily newspapers,and owns 31 television stations. www.newsandtech.com...

Media Conglomerates, Mergers, Concentration of Ownership: www.globalissues.org...

Who controls the media www.nowfoundation.org...

Interlocking Directorates
Media corporations share members of the board of directors with a variety of other large corporations...

FABIAN SOCIETY PHAMPHLET in EGYPT:
From Dictator to Democracy was seen in Egypt

As journalists have sought to untangle the disparate threads that unite these uprisings, one of the most interesting revelations has been a common reference to a dusty -- but still relevant -- book, "From Dictatorship to Democracy."

Earlier this month, the New York Times proclaimed its author, Gene Sharp, a "shy intellectual" who had created "the playbook for revolution" -- noting that his work was posted on the Muslim Brotherhood website during the Egyptian uprising, and was cited equally among Tunisians, Bosnians and Estonians in their quest for freedom. So far, it has been translated into 41 languages....
www.politicsdaily.com...

and LOOKY who has free e-books including Gene Sharp's "From Dictatorship to Democracy."
Fabian Essays In Socialism

I REALLY REALLY do not want "an intellectual elite and world bankers" having complete control like they are managing to do in the European Union.

The Fabian Blair Roaming Around Sorting out islam
Tony Blair is a UK Fabian Society leader and now works for ... Jan 28, 2008 ... Tony Blair will be paid £2.5m a year for his post at US investment bank JP Morgan, it was revealed today.

New World Encyclopedia - Organizing knowledge for happiness, prosperity and world peace.

Fabian Society

The Fabian Society is a British socialist intellectual movement, whose purpose is to advance the socialist cause by gradualist and reformist, rather than revolutionary means....

London School of Economics

Four Fabians, Beatrice and Sidney Webb, Graham Wallas, and George Bernard Shaw founded the London School of Economics with money left to the Fabian Society, including a bequest of £20,000 by Henry Hutchinson....

The LSE was established to further the Fabian aim of bettering society, focusing on research on issues of poverty, inequality and related issues. This led the Fabians, and the LSE, to be one of the main influences on the UK Labour Party.[4]

The school was founded with the initial intention of renewing the training of Britain's political and business elite...

LSE in this sense must be looked at as the father of modern economics studies. Under Beveridge, Friedrich Hayek was appointed as a professor and he brought about the ascendancy of the LSE through his famous debates with John Maynard Keynes. The famed Keynes-Hayek debates which occurred between Cambridge and the LSE still shapes the two major schools of economic thought today as nations still debate the merits of the welfare state versus an economy solely controlled by the market. LSE's influence upon modern economics is undeniable since it both formed the very basis for economic thought as well as shaped modern perception of free market economics. Hayek's works continue to influence the study of economics across the globe. At the other extreme, during these years Harold Joseph Laski, a professor of political science at the LSE was influential in British politics as an advocate of far left policies. Many renowned world leaders including John F. Kennedy studied under his guidance at the LSE....

Anthony Giddens, the former director of the LSE, was the creator of the 'Third Way' followed by both Tony Blair (who unveiled the Fabian Window at LSE in 2005) and Bill Clinton. His policy created a balance between the traditional welfare state and the belief in total free market economics. This policy is being put into effect by governments all across the world as free market economies continue to deal with wealth inequalities and bettering the welfare of the general population...

Compare THAT drivel to what is actually happening, a slow return to a serf/lord system with the bankers and "intellectual elite" as the lords.

EQUALITY??? Yes equal poverty and slavery for the serfs.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
They all working for making a Win in 2012 for Obama

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustfarhan
They all working for making a Win in 2012 for Obama

Oh they are working for much, much more than that.

Buckle up folks, the ride from here on out only gets bumpier.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Buckle up folks, the ride from here on out only gets bumpier.

I am afraid you are correct but I really hope you are wrong.

Unfortunately the signs are all there that TPTB are planning another massive sheep shearing followed by war.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Great thread, there is also one up about the British. Rumsfield is totally insane, and there are going to be charges coming up they can't get away from. Bush, bought a ranch in Paraguay, they have not exidiction treaty with the US, but I don't know about other countries. The thousands and thousands of people that died are the victims of their lies. S&F

This was my favorite video of the News.
www.rawstory.com...
edit on 5/12/2011 by coolottie because: forgot

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

It's a real dilemna we are facing, and in part stories like this show how dismayed many involved within the process are with the process, the dishonesty, the double speak the contant angling for position and agenda and manipulation in secretive ways.

That is why I suggest a change at the STATE level. This is because we had one of the best systems going and I am afraid that like those in the Middle East, open revolt will just give TPTB the opening to bring in the totalitarian dictatorship they are working towards that much faster.

I think they have already planned for this, I think that is exactly at the heart of the current push for State Governor and State Congressional races. I think they are gaming bills specifically to incite protests, like in WI, and then bring in the "astro-turf" pawns from out of state to inflame the protesters hoping for them to become violent so they can march out the goons and start throwing things into lockdown.

And if you don't get baited into that scenario, then they slam through bills like MI's Emergency Financial Manager law to shove your face in the obvious dictatorship.

Their cancer has pretty much metastasized to the point where I, like PT, don't see any way to salvage the system. The damage has been allowed to go on for far too long to get back to where we started from this point, like an etch a sketch, we're going to have to shake the whole thing clean and start it over.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

. It seemed that everything about his service with the Bush administration rubbed him wrong. He distanced himself from that administration as soon as he could and has been on a short leash and very cautious in his wording since, probably the deal he had to make to get away alive. Something isn't right there.

Yes, and then after leaving the Bush administration, he quickly jumped the fence to publicly endorse Obama for president. Wow.....hard to believe a man like him would think Obama would be a good U.S. front man.....In fact, I don't believe it......so this act has always stuck in my craw and given me more reason to be skeptical of Obama's purpose and intentions when it came to this presidency.

Colin Powell.....another one who, much like Guiliani and so many others, showed his true colors.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join