It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Mob Chases Would-Be Flag Burner Off LSU Campus

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
you can practically hear the banjo music...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

This is news? I'm patriotic, but really, who cares, we have more important things to worry about.

Obviously you care, since you took the time to read and respond to the thread.

Wasn't the angry mob trampling on the "would-be" flag burners first amendment rights.... if I'm not mistaken, the flag burning law was never passed.

The mob wasn't angry....they just wanted to get close enough to shake his hand, is all.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Not that I condone the burning of american flag... but the definition has changed for what a patriot is... These people trying to stop him, have no clue what patriotism is all about, just what they are told patriotism is...

There was once a time when criticizing the government was considered the highest form of patriotism. Now patriotism(read: patriot act) means you dont have any privacy, can be searched for no reason, and armed invasions of other countries in the name of "democracy"

and when they criticized the gov they didnt burn the flag, plenty has gone on in this country against its own gov but that kind of behavior wasnt apart of it.....

Your def of patriotism may be one thing, and theirs may be another.........in my opinion and many others, if someoen stops some idiot on a campus from burning a flag then they are a patriot in their own right.....

And i served my years in the military as well.........

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
God Bless America

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifespath420
It's a flag people. A Piece of cloth. I know lot's of people learn to have very strong emotional associations with the image on the cloth, to me though it's still just a piece of cloth.

Up to the last few months, I would have agreed with you. The problem is that you don't respect the value somebody else places in something. You probably have a few things lying around that has intrinsic value to you but has no true endogenous meaning.

Also, a big disconnect is that the flag to people like you and I represent government and the evils it commits yet the flag to others represents the people and the victims of said government. The fact that you and they have drastically different interpretations of the flag is no mere accident.

It is just as orchestrated as any other left/right paradigm invention. It's to keep us fighting. That person probably hated the same things about the government as the mob yet... they'll never sit down and discuss it because they'll be too busy either burning flags or assembling angry mobs. The keep us separated so we don't become a big angry mob burning flags on the way to the White House

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncle Gravity

Cant the same be said for the British, French, Spanish and Portugese flags or does time heal all things?

Im giving you hard time of course and I know the people of said countries above had little influence on their governments, when said flags were being flown in foreign lands.

Sound a lot like an American problem....I agree with you. We hold it(the Flag) dear to our hearts, I do anyway.

Im sure you are proud of your flag too, but not proud of some of the things it represents within the international community.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Personally, I think that burning the flag is wrong and designed to encourage violence. But the fact remains that it is protected under the first amendment. You don't have to protect popular speech, the first amendment is there to protect unpopular speech. Someday we may be on the other side of popular.

To paraphrase Sinclair Lewis: When tyranny comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
correct me here if i am wrong please

but the normal flag burners chased away another flag burner

ah politicial correctness strikes agian

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

GEAUX TIGERS

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
www.thenextgreatgeneration.com...

He didn't even take a flag to burn, he had a prepared statement:

“I initially began this flag-burning protest to defend due process for students and suspected terrorists alike; to call on LSU and universities across the country to defend basic human rights and avoid putting students into the criminal justice system when it can taken care of internally.

Solidarity means standing with those who are treated as guilty until proven innocent, instead of the other way around. That’s what freedom is: standing with those who express their constitutional rights in ways that may be unpopular especially the accused and the marginalized, no matter the consequences.

In the name of peace, there will be no flag burning today. This country and the flag that flies over it stands for freedom, democracy, love, peace and the ability to question our government.

But today, it feels like it’s just about hate and violence, I have received more than 100 threats on my life and on the lives of those I care about. but I also received numerous calls of support from those who agreed with me, military veterans, and even those who said they disagreed with the method I proposed but wanted to show me their support, and for that I am thankful.

We can be better than this. We may disagree on what forms of dissent are appropriate and what the proper forums are to voice them, but the important thing is that we come together and defend the right to dissent at all, especially when this country has asserted its ability to declare anyone an enemy who has a different opinion than the majority.

I feel what is missing most from the United States is a sense of community, love, and acceptance of the differences we may have about issues in the world. If I had one wish for today, it would be to make the world a more peaceful place.

Peace.”

Oh man, this guy really hates America. How terrible.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
you can practically hear the banjo music...

Banjo?

This was Baton Rouge, not West Virginia.

Zydeco, Cajun, Creole music, accordions, not hillbilly music.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifespath420
It's a flag people. A Piece of cloth. I know lot's of people learn to have very strong emotional associations with the image on the cloth, to me though it's still just a piece of cloth.

As an American I support your right to feel that way about the flag. Millions of men and women have died supporting that same right. Respecting the flag is, at the very least, respecting them.

/TOA

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
As an American I support your right to feel that way about the flag. Millions of men and women have died supporting that same right. Respecting the flag is, at the very least, respecting them.

/TOA

You should suggest that to them as well.

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
What does it matter if someone burns a flag...and I'm a veteran.

Man and their worship of false idols...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Wow. This issue has been blowing up my email and voice mail for days. I've been forwarded the video so many times it's hard to keep track. It seems everyone I know falls hard on one side of this issue or the other.

I find it so sad.

Sad that the crowd can't see their own shallow patriotism and abject nationalism and sad that this kid is such an attention whore.

As an LSU alum and regular attendee, I can assure you that there are hardly ever that many people at Free Speech Alley. If the kid hadn't advertised it as an event on Facebook, there would only have been a few dozen people there. And, as an alum, I am at least heartened by the University's position in support of his right to do it.

The behavior shown by so many attendance that day is reprehensible.

How is it so different than the stereotype that many on here mock of Muslims protesting the burning of a Koran?

The fact remains that it's Mr. Haas' Constitutionally protected right of free speech to burn the flag and he was denied that right through threat and intimidation by fellow citizens who have bought into the authoritarian newspeak fed to them by the CorpGov, it's media minions and a decade of mindless, endless war.

Meanwhile, what flies under the radar, disguised in red, white and blue:

“The real story is the rapidity and ease by which a group of otherwise intelligent, sympathetic students were transformed into an impulsive mob by the power of social media,” Crick said in an e-mail statement. “This should give us all pause.” Marjorie Esman, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, said she was concerned that LSU Police crowd control did not even permit Haas time to speak. “It would appear that, rather than protect the rights of the student to speak, the police protected the rights of those trying to silence him,” Esman said.

www.2theadvocate.com...

Huxley and Orwell are likely rolling in their graves. And I suspect that many posters here who jeered Mr. Haas would likely be the first to whine about their own free speech rights being denied.

ETA: It strikes me as beyond absurd and ironic that probably most of the people shouting "USA" in the video and many of those who sent me the video link are the same people who also spread scurrilous and vicious gossip about and deny the citizenship of the President. But Mr. Haas is somehow a villain?

edit on 13/5/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Thanks for the rather interesting perspective.
Now...

This bit here seems to be engorged with rhetoric..

“The real story is the rapidity and ease by which a group of otherwise intelligent, sympathetic students were transformed into an impulsive mob by the power of social media,” Crick said in an e-mail statement.

Now this is becoming a concern when this works in the direction apposed to their possible political stance?

Also...

Marjorie Esman, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, said she was concerned that LSU Police crowd control did not even permit Haas time to speak. “It would appear that, rather than protect the rights of the student to speak, the police protected the rights of those trying to silence him,” Esman said.

Maybe, Just maybe the LSU police DID their job and prevented the wannabe protester from harm by quickly removing him from the self inflicted situation?

edit on 13-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree that safety and crowd control is hard to balance.

But the thing is, he was in the proper venue and it's his legal right to exercise his free speech. Many of the people there were specifically there to protest his actions and they were violating his rights through threats and intimidation - which is actually illegal.

Additionally, had the officers maintained better order, he would have been allowed to give his speech which indicated he was NOT going to burn the flag, he changed his mind prior to the event.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Fair enough.
I'm apposed to flag burning. YES, It's just a piece of clothe to some. I on the other hand see it's meaning running deeper. NO. I don't worship it as a holy idol nor some sort of psycho religious relic etc. YES. People have a right in THIS country to express themselves. Freedom of speech and all that.

Being older now, I have seen the political pendulum swing from left to right and back again quite a few times over my lifetime. But blaming "Social media" sounds like a cop-out to me. The supposed "MOB" spoke. Isn't this exactly what people here are constantly screaming for? The proverbial sheeple to rise up and do something? If someone apposes anything deemed as controlling then they're "AWAKE" if however they move in a direction of unity then hey, they are sheep.

"Social Media" should not be the scape goat here. What are they really advocating?

Simple concern? Control over certain aspects of Social networking/media?

Be careful what you wish for.
Not you. You know what I'm getting at here.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
After rereading it I found the last bit in that quote hilarious.

“The real story is the rapidity and ease by which a group of otherwise intelligent, sympathetic students were transformed into an impulsive mob by the power of social media,” Crick said in an e-mail statement.

I don't know, It just seemed ironic to me.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't think social media is bad but merely a tool which can also be used against us or to get us to do things we normally wouldn't. The crowd is a powerful thing. It's naive to think social media can't be or isn't used to manipulate emotions and whip a crowd into a frenzy. Memes, after all, are contagious and they are spread through social contact. If it wasn't highly effective, Facebook wouldn't be such a widely used marketing tool. I just think the professor's caution should be heeded. I guarantee if we all got a text or a tweet to show up at a FEMA processing center, many would show up just to see what happens.

ETA:

Originally posted by SLAYER69Crick said in an e-mail statement.

I don't know, It just seemed ironic to me.

LoL! Touché

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Wow. This issue has been blowing up my email and voice mail for days. I've been forwarded the video so many times it's hard to keep track. It seems everyone I know falls hard on one side of this issue or the other.

I find it so sad.

Sad that the crowd can't see their own shallow patriotism and abject nationalism and sad that this kid is such an attention whore.

As an LSU alum and regular attendee, I can assure you that there are hardly ever that many people at Free Speech Alley. If the kid hadn't advertised it as an event on Facebook, there would only have been a few dozen people there. And, as an alum, I am at least heartened by the University's position in support of his right to do it.

The behavior shown by so many attendance that day is reprehensible.

How is it so different than the stereotype that many on here mock of Muslims protesting the burning of a Koran?

The fact remains that it's Mr. Haas' Constitutionally protected right of free speech to burn the flag and he was denied that right through threat and intimidation by fellow citizens who have bought into the authoritarian newspeak fed to them by the CorpGov, it's media minions and a decade of mindless, endless war.

Meanwhile, what flies under the radar, disguised in red, white and blue:

“The real story is the rapidity and ease by which a group of otherwise intelligent, sympathetic students were transformed into an impulsive mob by the power of social media,” Crick said in an e-mail statement. “This should give us all pause.” Marjorie Esman, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, said she was concerned that LSU Police crowd control did not even permit Haas time to speak. “It would appear that, rather than protect the rights of the student to speak, the police protected the rights of those trying to silence him,” Esman said.

www.2theadvocate.com...

Huxley and Orwell are likely rolling in their graves. And I suspect that many posters here who jeered Mr. Haas would likely be the first to whine about their own free speech rights being denied.

ETA: It strikes me as beyond absurd and ironic that probably most of the people shouting "USA" in the video and many of those who sent me the video link are the same people who also spread scurrilous and vicious gossip about and deny the citizenship of the President. But Mr. Haas is somehow a villain?

No, Mr. Haas is a jerk for defending a thief, arsonist, and vandal.

I wonder...Were you so upset when this happened?

Columbia University Students Storm Stage, Attack Minuteman Founder

What about the speaker's Constitutional rights?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join