It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RT: Online Craze Over Looming "Comet Doomsday"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I haven't heard about this april fools alien joke business, thought I'd share it with you all..

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just pointing out a crazy media take on elenin...

Link...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

i love the quote from Elenin himself:

“It was somewhat funny at first, and I even surfed the internet to see what they say, but now I’m scared to do it. I’m really irritated. I’m really disappointed that this nonsense appeared in the Russian segment of the web,” the astronomer told RIA Novosti news agency.

According to Elenin, conspiracy theorists go as far as claiming that he is a front firm for NASA or other government agencies, who try to put a lid on the information about the alleged upcoming disaster. “I’ve seen discussions about what Leonid Elenin actually means. ‘Ele’ is ‘extinction level event’ and ‘nin’ is Nibiru in November,” the scientist said.

doesn't that just say it all?
edit on 12-5-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

Ops Source

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Wasn't a mass believer of aliens hiding behind ELENIN lol but who knows may be a cover up

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Comet Elenin is going to pass at 35,000km?

2nd

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Elenin or no Elenin, we are to experience some strange times ahead of us...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Awesome find... now how long before people come in here to say this article is a cover up?

Poor guy's name is forever plastered to a hoax

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redevilfan09

2nd

I was just about to post that quote lol

How odd, eh? A comet THAT close would be magnificent! And they say it'd be hard to see that close?

lol the article trying to ding those that believe conspiracies creates one itself! Irony!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
edit on 12-5-2011 by rstregooski because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski

Where'd you find that quote?

It's about halfway through the article, but broken apart between a couple of paragraphs, not fully put together like the quote here.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

lol the article trying to ding those that believe conspiracies creates one itself! Irony!

The next line of that quote is important:

The Elenin comet is to flyby Earth at an estimated distance of 35,000 kilometers in mid-October. You would need good binoculars or a telescope to see it harmlessly pass and go away.

that's the difference, it's going to harmlessly pass by, like many others. The doomwishers think otherwise and are attributing so much to this comet it's a joke.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

2nd

How odd, eh? A comet THAT close would be magnificent! And they say it'd be hard to see that close?

Considering the comet apparently has an 80,000km coma, yeah I think it would be very hard to miss at that distance

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

I think this must be a typo, I think it should say 35,000,000 kilometers. You would think that they would copy check to get that right, if the whole article is written to debunk the rumors.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Where'd you find that quote?

Middle of the article, formatting got screwed when I cut and paste, I didn't edit or trim it at all.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Uh....91% closer to the earth than the moon is? Scary S#*t indeed!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
well we haven't got long to go kids...so buckle up,and enjoy the show..

there coming...lol
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2dbec0ad2ef.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Comet Elenin should be at its brightest shortly before the time of its closest approach to Earth on Oct. 16 of this year. At its closest point, it will be 35 million kilometers (22 million miles) from us. Can this icy interloper influence us from where it is, or where it will be in the future? What about this celestial object inspiring some shifting of the tides or even tectonic plates here on Earth? There have been some incorrect Internet speculations that external forces could cause comet Elenin to come closer. "Comet Elenin will not encounter any dark bodies that could perturb its orbit, nor will it influence us in any way here on Earth," said Yeomans. "It will get no closer to Earth than 35 million kilometers [about 22 million miles]. "

Source

Yup, 35 MILLION, Km, 22 million miles, must be a mistake in the OP article.

While looking for info on Elenin i found this(scroll down to "Comet Honda" as it won't let me cut and paste):

Source

Here's a nice solar system animation, click on "comets" and wait for 2011

Source

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

2nd

Yea, right.. Isn't the moon itself some 384,000 km away?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

"everyone, cover ya butts"...!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Yup, roughly 380,000 km away. Elenin will pass by SAFELY at 35 MILLION kilometers away. Honda is actually a closer pass.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I honestly hope that the 35,000km statement is a typo. Becuz thats roughly 22,000 miles and thats where our geosync'd satilites orbit at that distance. If a mother truckin comet passes that close we r gonna be in for one helluva ride!! If it is true, atleast we'll have a pretty light show before we get bombarded with meteorites! Im reminded of the line from a song. Its the end of the world as we know it, and I FEEL FINEEEEEE!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join