It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What IS evil?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I would like to know, what do you think the root cause is of all evil? I heard the theory proposed recently that it is just a total lack of empathy. What do you think?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
True EVIL can be summed up in 4 letters.......TPTB.......

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
whats the theory you have heard ? any chance you could tell us it and your views ?

Personally i think evil is just an adjective nothing more, just to describe an act of man. without man there would be no evil, just nature. Being evil is just being the opposite of what moral human code says

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolvo

Here is a link to the theory/ article I cite. I was intrigued by it because I think evil is simply total selfishness coupled with a total lack of empathy. If you connect those two qualities, you can find them in almost every historical figure who has been deemed "evil". Hitler and Stalin come to mind.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Evil... well that´s the opposite of good
Good and evil
Together making a duality, opposite polarities
The funny thing about those is that hey´re changeable, good and evil will change from different perspectives.
What we fear, what makes us angry, what we hate... are they evil
Or are they just a part of us we do not wish to see, do not wish to integrate?
Two men kills some people... One is a murderer the other is a hero, who decide???
(Put in names yourself
)
Illuminatæ, tptb or whatever name we give them.
They´re no different from us, in fact they are our brothers and sisters, they have just forgotten so did we.
We have been projecting fear and evilness into others.
We all have ´Hitler´ or ´Stalin´ inside
Time has come to take it home.
Visit our darkest places within.
Make peace with ourselves.
Make peace with eachothers.
We are the same.
Time has come to give up these polarities, see the truth that hide in between.
Don´t be scared, be!
edit on 12-5-2011 by laffoe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
doing thing to other people that you wouldn't do to yourself or your loved ones

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If you need to know what evil is, you must explain it by yourself to yourself. Everyone may have a different view of it. But generally speaking, society says that evil is the the opposite of good, but on your personal view, good may be a different thing.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Life is basically a huge system that operates on the principle of creation, evil is like a cancer or a disease, that simply seeks the destruction of life.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Evil is the essence of human discovery and growth. Experiences define what we as individuals define as evil. To some, killing is evil. To others, it depends on the type of killing. To other others it is the circumstance in which the killing occurred. To other other others, it is the purpose that applies. And to most it is a combination of all of those.

So, which one is truly evil? None and all are.

Evil is what we decide it is, individually. To take it a step further, it is what we want it to be, to serve our individual purposes.

If we don't like it.... If we REALLY do not like it. Then we label it as evil.

What is good? Hmmm?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Traditionally, "evil" isn't really anything, but rather the "absence of." Like a shadow isn't anything, but shades the light.

The light metaphorically being the "good".

System Resistor mentioned "life", and that's a real good way to look at it IMO.

The only further nuance I might add is that while "life" seems to be a good guiding principle, it's actually more accurate to say "health". In other words, the good may be life abundantly, but not merely in a quantitative sense, but qualitative as well.

And so "evil" is that which tends to oppose life, in it's various ways. And here, not merely something like "murder", but things like choosing "bad" things to put in our bodies too. That's not "choosing life" (there's a Bible verse that speaks of this principle), and such choices ultimately are death-oriented, and therefore "evil".

JR

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Evil can be a difficult word to define because what it constitutes depends largely on the context in which it is used. Laws, culture, morals, societal influences and various other factors determine what it means to be evil; there is no real objective evil that exists outside of society.
edit on 12/5/2011 by Dark Ghost because: clarity

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Biological life is "evil"

2nd line..

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

What IS evil?

Darkness that seeks power, seperated from ORIGINAL darkness which respects LIGHT and seeks no power. Placing evol in between Darkness and LIGHT. Balance

edit on 5/12/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think I know what evil is. Do I know who is evil? No, Obama has killed more innocent people than most serial killers. The media tells us who is evil and most of the time they are wrong.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
ther is no such thing as evil
u would say that a man from afghanistan puuting a 10 year old boys arm
wrapped in a towl under a 7 ton truck for stealing bread was evil
but what u dont realise is he thinks if he doesnt the boys soul will be condemed a
nd thus sent to hell and to not punish the boy and allow it is to sin in itself so his salvation is
is on the line to

animals hav been known to eat one another and thats not evil
but the second u want a little nibble on ur mates head ur evil
the evil concept creates negative thought patterns wich in its self
is supposedly a sin ?
thers natural selection and alien intervention simple
edit on 12-5-2011 by EDL2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
I would like to know, what do you think the root cause is of all evil?

"Evil" is not a thing that has a root cause. Evil is determined by a subjective interpretation of a given action. It's no different than the concept of "hot". "Hot" is determined by subjective interpretation. There is no root cause of all "hot".

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

To me evil is an action which has negative consequences without the 'offending' party's repentence. I.e. if a person knowingly does something wrong and makes no attempt to make ammends or outweight their negative actions with positve ones then they are essentially evil. Though this description does not fit all applications of the word it is a basic summary of what I feel divides good and evil.
edit on 12-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
There is no evil, or good. Anything you do to another you do to yourself, everything is One.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Looks like two different questions. What is evil, what causes evil.

I think there's a component of intent. If you mean to do harm for its own sake, or for a selfish purpose, then that's evil. Evil at its root, I think, is caused by selfishness.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Evil is selfish and Good Selfless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join