It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal bill would allow states to use unemployment money for other uses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
That is crazy. Especially with all the people on unemployment. You can bet a few states will say ``screw those slackers, let's use the money for something else!``

Federal legislation would divert unemployment compensation for other state uses

Now, there is legislation proposed in the U.S. House, with a similar bill in the Senate, that would allow states to use federally extended unemployment benefits for other uses, such as paying off debt the state owes to the federal government, paying for regular state benefits, or paying for reemployment services such as job assistance and job training, or improving the balance in their state unemployment trust funds.

The so-called Jobs Act (HR 1745) introduced by Rep. Dave Camp, R-Mich., allows states to divert the federal funds.

The Congressional Budget Office anticipates that $32 billion will be paid for emergency unemployment compensation and extended benefits from July 2011 until May 2012 under current law. The Jobs Act would end the entitlement to those funds and allocates $31 billion to the states in a new block grant.

The legislation could potentially eliminate about $40 billion in economic activity resulting from putting cash in the hands of needy families who will spend it, according to the Economic Policy Institute.

Won't be long now before that unemployment is used to make some more ``tax cuts`` to the big corporations or give them some more subsidies. The people be damned.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hmmm. Interesting. You know, I wonder why these threads that deal with real issues get hardly noticed or replied, while idiotic posts get hundreds of flags and replies for stupid crap.

Guess only we more mature, worried folks (in the older age groups, probably) pay attention to what's really going on. But then, one of the top threads is still the asinine suggestion that older people should be banned from voting.
This site is not turning out to be what I had hoped. Oh well, not leaving just yet.

As long as there are a few of us discussing critical-mass type issues, it's worth the time and effort....

I wonder how long it will be before states start seceding from the union? In my home state the legislature has just cut education and social services. Fabulous.

Well, if they did decide to use unemployment money for CREATING JOBS, and having self-sufficient infrastructures on a state level, that might be helpful....c'mon, someone in charge SOMEWHERE must be able to balance a budget like we peasants do, wouldn't you think?

Where are we going?
And why am I in this handbasket??

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Every things going to hell these days...

The first to be hung out to dry will always be the weakest in society, those least able to put up a fight and unfortunatly the unemployed are firmly in that catagory.

Governments keep pushing more and more and more. small little indignities and victories till were sitting in a civilisation like ours.

Don't give up just yet Wildtimes, there are a few people worried enough about reality not to focus on the inane or the insane on this site. Although they're not exclusivly in the older demograpics.

People are scared silly, its easier to fanticize about glory, celebrities or the inane that look reality in the eyes.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Nothing more then the Fed Govt buying off the State Govt.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Nothing more then the Fed Govt buying off the State Govt.

Just get rid of the government.

Problem solved.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Is there no end to the bizzaro stuff Tea Baggers can think up. Just how far do these guys want to take our country back -- they only have two hundred years to play with, but they are shooting for the dark ages.

I fully expect a bill coming out of these guys for a nation flat earth day - we will be required to celebrate it by eating pancakes.

They are littering their reelection hope with landmines though, so something good will come out of it.

Did you see the other day when they sent a letter to the White House to ask that the democrats please quit using their words and actions against them, they really should have learned that words have meaning when they were twelve.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Ignored, until you get your facts straight and pull your head out of the sand.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

And what facts aren't straight?? Is it the letter? Is it the box full of stupid proposals? Just what facts might there be wrong in there.
edit on 12-5-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Won't be long now before that unemployment is used to make some more ``tax cuts`` to the big corporations or give them some more subsidies.

I agree, that money should be given the the oil companies who actually produce something real, then they will
use that extra money to make jobs and then people can go get ice cream after a hard days work.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550

And what facts aren't straight?? Is it the letter? Is it the box full of stupid proposals? Just what facts might there be wrong in there.

If you'd just stop supporting Chairmen Mao and loving terrorists the economy could get better.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Under the Jobs Act, a state could decide to use the federal funds to pay for regular state unemployment insurance benefits. This would relieve state employers of the need to pay for those benefits and allow for a temporary tax cut on all employers in the state that pay unemployment insurance taxes. With this approach, about 198,000 jobs would be created, EPI estimates, but that 124,000 fewer than under current law.

did anyone read the article?

hmmm.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The economy is getting better -- would help if the Bush tax breaks weren't there but if you are an investor the economy is getting better. Private sector jobs are increasing. The small manufacture that I work for has had the best 3 months in 25 years (and we make parts for other manufacturing, so they must be building something] .

If you will look the economy always does better under democrats -- we have a deep hole to dig out of. Damn those facts.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yep read the article -- basically the bill cuts job growth and slows economic activity. It's like this - unemployment insurance helps somewhat the unemployed. (in my case unemployment would be equal to less than 25% of my take home pay, which is not much incentive to not look for work) This money is immediately turned over into the economy (not the family trust fund) this helps the butcher the baker and the candlestick makers in the community; these guys then stay in business weather the storm, keep current employees and perhaps be in a better position to hire more employees. This is what we learned in the 30s and this is what we forgot in this century. Welfare works the same way -- I am not concerned that someone buys beer on welfare - it keeps the bodegas running and the owners of those stores pay taxes and buy more stuff. This is also what we learned in the 30s but have forgotten not.

It is really simple. But the citizens would rather buy high price military equipment to use in warfare that is more and more being fought with disposable robots. You go citizens keep plucking that chicken.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

The economy is getting better -- would help if the Bush tax breaks weren't there but if you are an investor the economy is getting better. Private sector jobs are increasing. The small manufacture that I work for has had the best 3 months in 25 years (and we make parts for other manufacturing, so they must be building something] .

If you will look the economy always does better under democrats -- we have a deep hole to dig out of. Damn those facts.

reply to post by neo96

Yep read the article -- basically the bill cuts job growth and slows economic activity. It's like this - unemployment insurance helps somewhat the unemployed. (in my case unemployment would be equal to less than 25% of my take home pay, which is not much incentive to not look for work) This money is immediately turned over into the economy (not the family trust fund) this helps the butcher the baker and the candlestick makers in the community; these guys then stay in business weather the storm, keep current employees and perhaps be in a better position to hire more employees. This is what we learned in the 30s and this is what we forgot in this century. Welfare works the same way -- I am not concerned that someone buys beer on welfare - it keeps the bodegas running and the owners of those stores pay taxes and buy more stuff. This is also what we learned in the 30s but have forgotten not.

keep drinking the left koolaid i have better things to do than waste my time with an ideolog
edit on 12-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I read the article saw what it said - your response has to do with a sugary drink.

Your way or the highway -- got it.

edit on 13-5-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

Yes, and despite the fact that I hold an advanced degree and my spouse is an extremely knowledgeable IT engineer, we are both out of work!
How did that happen?

You're right - I am scared silly.

Can you tell me what those of us facing reality are going to do?
Besides sit and read ATS or the news? I keep up with my household chores, I make sure the bills are paid -- but if we have no more income, what then?

And how did we become "weak" members? I don't get it.

Someone above says the "economy is growing" - if you're an investor.
Well, friend, those of us living month to month have a hard time "investing" in anything but our local communites and the criminal banksters who hold our mortgages. THE LATTER are doing fine. THE COMMUNITY is not.

I am a social worker. I used to HELP the disenfranchised find ways to solve their problems.

Now I AM one of those disenfranchised, and very worried about what is going to happen to me after decades of hard work and honesty.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

I am a social worker. I used to HELP the disenfranchised find ways to solve their problems.

Now I AM one of those disenfranchised, and very worried about what is going to happen to me after decades of hard work and honesty.

It's not like that with the sociopath. They just don't think about us, or how we feel about it all. Not in the least. They are too busy. It's not personal, and ironicaly if one does feel depressed or shame; a sociopath will take it as evidence that maybe you were doing something wrong.

Additionally, the one person who could have helped us through all these decades, was Bill Gates. He's the only one who has given us an uncensored internet. But for some reason we all cheered when the government started suing him on behalf of a company that wasn't even in buisness anymore. Want to know what really happened.

In 1994 he went to the Fed and said ...
* squeeky nerd voice *
"We've got this wonderful new operating system. It's called windows 95. The only problem is the phone lines. They're too slow. So what we'd like to do is run fiber optic to every house in America. We have the money, we just need the permission. Interstate transmission laws and all."

The government took a couple of years to think about it and said "You have money!?!? GIVE IT TO US! Now!" And they drove him out of the country into China's hands. Where he was able to buy up a large chunk of the remaining satalite space for a world wide network instead. A network that only governements, or large corporations, have access too now. This is not what he wanted.

Do you have any idea how much a person who splices fiber optics makes an hour?

One politician who slammed Bill Gates on the Hill, was greatly emberassed when Bill went to the senators home district and spent a million of his own money to put computers in a ton of class rooms. Turns out those were the first computers in schools in that senators entire reigon. But somehow the story was buried, and Gates is the bad guy.

You should hear what idots are saying about his humanitarian efforts in Africa.

He still cares though,
and he is still trying to bring out the truth.
But just look at his reception in this video. The entire room is looking at him like he is some kind of road kill. They are awkward in his presence, scratching their socks, deathly silent. Almost hostile.
Some of the brightest people in the world are in that room, and all of them just sit there resenting his money, completely unaware at how mind programmed they are.

When did it become ok to hate rich people in America?

David Grouchy

edit on 14-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join