It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired Ohio autoworker John Demjanjuk convicted over Nazi camp deaths. After he was once found inno

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
source

MUNICH, Germany — Retired Ohio autoworker John Demjanjuk was convicted of thousands of counts of acting as an accessory to murder at a Nazi death camp and sentenced on Thursday to five years in prison -- closing one chapter in a decades-long legal battle.

I personally believe EVERYONE should be held accountable for their crimes, but only if it can be proven with undeniable facts.

It was not immediately how much credit the 91-year-old native of Ukraine he would get for time served.

I wonder how what his sentence will be, he is a 91 year old bound to a wheelchair.

Demjanjuk was charged with 28,060 counts of being an accessory to murder, one for each person who died during the time he was accused of being a guard at the Sobibor camp in Nazi-occupied Poland. There was no evidence he committed a specific crime. The prosecution was based on the theory that if Demjanjuk was at the camp, he was a participant in the killing -- the first time such a legal argument has been made in German courts.

They say there was no evidence he committed any specific crime yet they find him guilty by association. If all trials worked that way, then a lot of politicians would be in jail as well. It seems like Germany has joined Israel in the witch hunt for WW2 criminals. This guy looks like an innocent scapegoat to me.

In the 1980s, Demjanjuk stood trial in Israel after he was accused of being the notoriously brutal guard "Ivan the Terrible" at the Treblinka extermination camp. He was convicted, sentenced to death -- then freed when an Israeli court overturned the ruling, saying the evidence showed he was the victim of mistaken identity.

This part really gets to me, he went through court proceedings in Israel and was found innocent due to mistaken identity. So what do they do? They try again in Germany. Germany and the EU should be ashamed for allowing this to happen.

Demjanjuk maintains he was a victim of the Nazis -- first wounded as a Soviet soldier fighting German forces, then captured and held as a prisoner of war under brutal conditions before joining the Vlasov Army, a force of anti-communist Soviet POWs and others was formed to fight with the Germans against the Soviets in the final months of the war.

He was forced into this job and was a guard. Most of the real cold blooded Nazis went on to the USA and Canada to join the CIA, NASA, science institutions ...etc. If you have specific valuable skills you can seek refuge in North America, but if you are a low guy on the totem pole just following orders in the fear of punishment you can be convicted over 60 years later just to be made an example of. This is hypocrisy at it's finest and it proves that the system for going after war criminals is politically motivated and is surely corrupted.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I heard this morning he got 5 years.

What's the point?

Does it really make people feel like justice is served having a catatonic wheelchair bound "man" sit in one room rather than in another for the next 5 years?

The way some people chase after "justice" you'd think convictions were causing the dead to rise from their graves.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Also, to make it clear. I have been following this story for a few years now and the evidence certainly points towards this man being innocent of most wrong doing. If they put him in jail for solely participating in a war, then using this logic all German WW2 veterans are eligible to be charged with the same crimes as this man has. Heck, all war veterans should go to jail then right

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The way some people chase after "justice" you'd think convictions were causing the dead to rise from their graves.

My grandfather was wounded in WW2, and this news would probably make him roll in his grave. I know for a fact that he would not agree with this. I hope this gets overturned on compassionate grounds or something similar. But Israeli interests will probably never allow this to happen. Germany and the EU are obviously doing what they are told. I used to think most of Europe was above these type of actions, especially after all they went through in the world wars. You would think that their descendants would have learned from their elders.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: grammar

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
That's really funny, five years for helping killing 28 thousand !!! people...

wired world!!!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by KrzYma

Did you actually read the article. It appears you might not have. Please let me point this part out to you, it may be of interest.

There was no evidence he committed a specific crime.

ETA: Usually people are only convicted if there is proof or evidence against them, in this case there was none, even the media is admitting this.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: ETA

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

It is an outrage that a democratic country like Germany would resort to these kind of tactics. But then again I believe it illegal to even question the events of the holocaust in Germany so they are not really a democracy. Just another brick in the wall if you ask me. I will never be visiting Germany ever again,

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth4Thought

I have never been there, but news like this makes me never want to visit Germany either. I wonder if it would be a crime to even protest his conviction. I also wonder what the general public of Germany thinks of this, and whether or not there is even a way to appeal this.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling again lol

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This has been nothing but a witch hunt from the very begining.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I notice that the more holocaust memorials a nation has, the more that country starts to resemble a fascist police state. And the Demanjuk trial is just another holocaust memorial.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Israel just wanted to show the world that if they go after someone, they will get them in the end, no matter what.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by grizzle2

Israel just wanted to show the world that if they go after someone, they will get them in the end, no matter what.

I cannot tell which side of the argument you are on by your comment, but either way your statement is right. Israel is very successful in getting their way when they want to. It makes me wonder if this victory will lead them to pursue more convictions for unproven claims in similar situations. Like the other member said above you, this almost seems like another holocaust memorial. What's a few more memorials right?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption ExposedI cannot tell which side of the argument you are on by your comment

I am very much on Demjanjuk's side. The hebrews even "got" Traicant for standing with him.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Another reason why you should not fight wars for politicans / countries. You will end up a scapegoat

If there is no soliders, there would be no wars.

Seems there is an endless supply of ehm "patriots", "wanabe commando ninjas" and just idiots.

edit on 12-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This is horribly saddening. Israel even found him not guilty. ISRAEL FOR #^@$ SAKE!! His family lives 20 miles away and my heart goes out to this man. He is scapegoated. I don't see anyone looking for random guards of Stalins genocide.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

I definitely found it ironic that even Israel let him go, but Germany managed to make up some ridiculous reasons to convict him. Perhaps it was a rogue Israeli judge who wasn't totally controlled by the Zionists. I bet they won't allow that to happen ever again.

new topics

top topics

join