It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comcast BLOCKing Piratebay?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I have not been able to get on to for atleast 8 hours, as i was on it at home. is comcast blocking piratebay?
I found this while google seems like im not the only one having troubles.
REDDIT
Its not a official source just some other people having troubles.
A comment on there lead to Comcast_Corp._v._FCC

But why would it take them this long to start blocking?
I can still connect through proxy so it seems strange! Any US comcast people having trouble?
edit on 12-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: sp

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

yep just went to give it a try. I also hit up there IRC but can't get through there either, but they might have a new one.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Yup, comcast here, and can't get to it.

Just sticks to the "connecting to..." part.

Interesting...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I'm a comcast customer, just tried to access it, no go here.

Would like to add..... Comcast is the worst f'n company in the world. It's too bad they have a monopoly on the cable here in my area, I would ditch them in a heartbeat.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
i read that wiki link more thoroughly and saw

In December 2010, FCC approved new net neutrality rules. While these rules did not reclassify a broadband service as a communications service under the Title II regulation, it would forbid cable and DSL Internet service providers from blocking or slowing online service.

Does that mean this is illegal?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Now that you mention it.
I've tried the site multiple times throughout the day with no success.
I didn't really give it a second though.
I'm a comcast cust.
dang.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
That really suck because I know its Comcast I leech off of. Kickasstorrents was my second favorite site.

Some can be done about this thou right?? Like a proxy?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

Proxy still works and you could always just use a dedicated server.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Here in Australia, no luck with it either.

According to www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com...
it is up.

But lots of people on twitter saying its down.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Yes i can still get to piratebay through Proxy. But if i read the new FFC net neutrality rules right its illegal. But im know lawyer so im not sure

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Here in Australia, no luck with it either.

According to www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com...
it is up.

But lots of people on twitter saying its down.

Looks like it might happen almost everywhere!

In February, a secret meeting of the European Union’s Law Enforcement Work Party (LEWP) resulted in a worrying proposal. To deal with illicit sites on the Internet, the group suggested the adoption of a China-like firewall to block websites deemed ‘inappropriate’. The controversial proposal immediately met resistance from various sides, including ISPs who would be tasked with maintaining the blocklist. The copyright lobby on the other hand welcomes the initiative which they’ve been suggesting for years.

One of the sites that has a fair share of experience with being blocked is The Pirate Bay. The popular BitTorrent site is currently censored in Ireland, Italy and Denmark, and almost lost its domain name to the U.S. Government last year.

the-pirate-bay-the-battle-of-internets-is-about-to-begin

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I just tried the site, it loads, so no problem for me. I'm not using Comcast, so must be they blocking it. Blocking the url?... Probably going to happen to with all big corporate net services.

I've searched and seen other threads on various other boards, saying Comcast blocked or may have in question the site before. I haven't been a Comcast customer in the past years, so I dunno.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I haven't been able to get on the past few hours either, just a tad bit ticked at this.
Hopefully this doesn't last long, seems like enough people are going crazy about it over the web.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I can confirm that the site is loading fine for me, and I am not using Comcast as my ISP.

It seems very likely that the site was just recently blocked by Comcast, which would explain why a large number of people are complaining about it.

I would recommend some other sites, but I'm not sure if it would be against ATS T&C. You could also try running a proxy and accessing the site that way.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Most likely it is just a DNS block, just change your DNS IPs.

try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS).

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by zookey

I tried that already, no go....
they are blocking it through some other means......

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sm0k3

use a VPN then (open vpn or PPTP).

or use torrentzap.com
edit on 12-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sm0k3

use a VPN then (open vpn or PPTP).

no need for all that, just use a proxy... but still this is ridiculous... I have to call them more than 3 times a week to get stuff fixed (bad signal, jittery sound/picture, or for the internet just simply dropping the RECV signal completely). MONOPOLYS SUCK!
edit on 12-5-2011 by sm0k3 because: spelling

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sm0k3

Yes i agree completely Comcast not only rips you off but now they are blocking (parts of) the internet! And there service is horrible at the hotel i work at we had 2 comcast tech guys staying here and they didn't do #. but why don't management change service you ask? because They give nice discounts to big businesses

Wondering if i call to complain would they put some 'secret mark' on my account and see if i download anything? (is that even possible?).

ps Proxy should work i won't post a link because im not sure if that is against the rules just google "proxy"

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I dont think they mark your account or anything, we have well over 300 complaints logged against comcast, they give you a credit for the day (which is SUPPOSED to be a free day of service (per their agreement!) they usually just give you 10-50 cents off your bill for each complaint UNLESS you complain about that too!)

We had Comcast come out about a year ago to rewire the whole house because of "signal leak" because of our old lines... no big deal.... 3 months later we started having problems after they switched to the new digital boxes, we called up the tech, and they said "The problem is not on our end, it is the wiring in your house, we cannot help you until it is replaced" WTF?! it was just replaced... but they have no record of the work done, so we have to have it done again on my dime?! hell no!

*shakes fist*

top topics

<<   2 >>

join