It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Pilot Nearly Misses UFO During Routine Vertical Roll!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

Its not true that a Prandtl–Glauert singularity always causes an exact cone. As various parts of the aircraft are have various amounts of airflow and pressure around them at various times, each individual piece may have its own singularity. In this instance its only around the wings as the airflow around them is nearing the speed of sound on the upper surfaces (the air has to travel faster over the upper surface as its curved making it a greater distance to be traveled in the same time as the air going over flat surfaces. This is how lift is generated in aircraft to begin with.)

Here from Wiki is a picture of a Prandtl–Glauert singularity that is only appearing on the leading edge upper surfaces of the aircraft

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3fda55c1c2c.png[/atsimg]
edit on 5/12/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

a Prandtl–Glauert singularity is a vapor cone. Why is this picture on wiki?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Im not 100% on this but I think that the picture shown is actually being caused by temperature inversion as the wings are cutting through warmer air and cooling it as it does so...
edit on 12-5-2011 by 5StarOracle because: spell

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ValValient4

For the exact reasons I mention above, they DO NOT always form cones like that when the aircraft is traveling at transonic speeds:

Such vapor can also be seen in low pressure regions during high–g subsonic maneuvers in humid conditions.

en.wikipedia.org...

At transonic speeds intense low-pressure areas form at various points around an aircraft. If conditions are right (i.e. high humidity) visible clouds will form in these low-pressure areas as shown in the illustration; these are called Prandtl-Glauert singularities. These clouds remain with the aircraft as it travels. It is not necessary for the aircraft as a whole to reach supersonic speeds for these clouds to form.

Transonic flow patterns (Prandtl-Glauert singularities) on F-16 fighter aircraft:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7135e8fc9930.png[/atsimg]

And I quote:
“It is not necessary for the aircraft as a whole to reach supersonic speeds for these clouds to form.”. So the wings, which are near supersonic, have airflow going over the tops that are reaching supersonic speeds even though the rest of the aircraft is just below it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a35a7b8eee46.png[/atsimg]
en.wikipedia.org...

In aerodynamics, the critical Mach number (Mcr) of an aircraft is the lowest Mach number at which the airflow over a small region of the wing reaches the speed of sound.[1]
For all aircraft in flight, the airflow around the aircraft is not exactly the same as the airspeed of the aircraft due to the airflow speeding up and slowing down to travel around the aircraft structure. At the Critical Mach number, local airflow in some areas near the airframe reaches the speed of sound, even though the aircraft itself has an airspeed lower than Mach 1.0. This creates a weak shock wave.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

How do you suppose the sun hits it from the side when the sun is shown to be above the plane in the pilots visor? And how does the supposed shadow originate from the left of the plane? Also like I said before one of these is caused by condensation at supersonic speeds the other by a shockwave... nice try though...
edit on 12-5-2011 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

The sun is obviously coming form the direction of the yellow arrow on this shot:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/43952828ee78.png[/atsimg]
Look at the bright spot on the twisting contrail that is circled in yellow.

You cannot tell much from the pilots visor as the plane is twisting all over the place, and we do not even know if its footage from the exact same flight or if there was more then one take. There can also be lights on the visor coming from something inside the cockpit, including the sun reflecting off the canopy, the HUD, etc.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The sun is above him and it is the sun shine on his visor as it rolls on his visor as his jet does... your yellow arrow is simply pointing at a more dense portion created by the roll...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

He is rolling 360 degrees at some point in the roll the sun is going to come across the canopy and his visor. But again we don’t even know for a fact that those two pieces of footage were shot in parallel, they might have been shot at different time and closely matched to appear to be shot in parallel.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

come on its a verticle roll, hes not doing 360 while traveling horizontal... Im assuming they were indeed shot at the same time...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

It’s a vertical roll meaning that the top of the cockpit will face all 360 degrees of the horizon at some point in the roll. So wherever the sun is at some point it will be shining into the top of the cockpit, no matter if the sun is more to the east or the west.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I must agree with you on this one.

To be honest, I'm rather shocked at the lack of knowledge on this matter from members. If your interested in Ufology I would have thought you would take a keen interest in these awesome aircraft's and gain knowledge and insight into how they operate.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

so why is it that the sun appears for the full 360 degrees of his roll? only one way possible and thats if its above him.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
My thoughts are that the shadows are of clouds. It looks strange when you take off in a small aircraft because you can see much more detail around you. But a fantastic experience. Try it! Just take a sick back if your in a fast jet...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I'm thinking I agree with the op... this vaguely seen object does seem to move independently of the jet---it reminds me of a rat, scurrying out of the way.

Or else some part came off the plane as it was rolling... but the dark contrail speaks to some sort of combustion, and if something burning was coming off the plane, I'm thinking the plane would be showing some signs of distress, moving at those speeds, eh?

It is curious that this event was left in the video though, as noted. I would have thought they would film another one, versus let something as strange as that be included in a 'recruiting'-type video.
edit on 12-5-2011 by DragonriderGal because: Spelling

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Is this video anywhere else other than on that media player?
edit on 13-5-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join