It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukishima Reactor fuel rods in complete meltdown

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

thanks so much for posting that...I was actually thinking just before I saw it that I needed to find that website again...your post was in a very convenient location

the silence from the MSM on this issue is deafening. I've been watching CNN today and they've been spewing BS all day.
this meltdown is definitely worse than Chernobyl. I talked to my physics professor about it outside of class. He said its worse than Chernobyl.

edit on 12-5-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
and depopulation will start next years

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
well the MSM set the trent...
who cares...........???
wats done is done ..we have to live with it...

the profits are made...the bill is with us..
the last one to make an bonus on it is the Pharma industry...AGAIN...:-(

booming buissniz for sure..

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yes this is happening people:

Fuel rods in the No. 1 reactor at Japan's crippled nuclear power plant may have melted after being fully exposed, the plant's operator told the Kyodo news agency on Thursday. Plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said water levels in the damaged reactor where far lower than was earlier thought. "Based on the latest data after workers adjusted gauges for measuring the water level at the reactor, water could not be confirmed inside the pressure vessel at a point 5 meters below where the top of the 4-meter-long fuel rods normally are," Kyodo cited the utility as saying. The fuel rods are now being cooled by water at the bottom of the pressure vessel. The plant was badly damaged in a powerful earthquake and tsunami that struck of the northeast coast of Japan on March 11. More than 15,000 died in the twin disaster, and some 10,000 are still unaccounted for.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

This is bad (Not that it wasn't already), I'm so mad at the MSM for not reporting on this! Don't wanna be a doomer but this could be a disaster that causes problems on a global scale and the public have a right to know.

ALS
edit on 12-5-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Whats so bad about it is they now have shut down the Norsk Institute over there and using "ZARDOZ"

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TETRA.X
reply to post by predator0187

I don't mean to sound rude in any way but your assessment of the whole situation is not accurate at all. Radioactive particles have made there way here in a BIG way. It is not being truthfully reported by any means. The Fukushima disaster is equivalent to 3 Chernobyl incidents and it can get even worse if more gets out of control. You are only talking about the non-radioactive particles, but what about the MOX fuel that got injected into the jet stream, water and wind currents? Look up the half life of Plutonium and all the other stuff. Also, don't forget that the government RAISED the allowable levels of "safe" radiation. We are not getting any new info and they have stopped testing for radiation in milk, fish...etc. etc.

No worries buddy, I'll explain myself as best as I can.

I understand that radioactive particles have been blown over here there is no doubt about that, nor would I ever say otherwise. What I am saying is that the map that was posted about Xe-133 was wrong, IMO. Xe-133 only has a half life of 5 days, I-131 has a half life of 8 days, and C-137 is around the 30 year mark. Cesium is what we have to worry about amassing in large quantities.
If you check out the source of the map it has the maps of I-131 and C-137 as well and they are in much smaller quantities than Xe-133. The map just seems fishy to me, the isotope with the smallest half life is making it over to North America in the largest quantities?

I will never once say that radiation is making it over here, as that is a false statement. Is there enough over here to be scared about, no IMO. If Japan keeps letting the reactors leak then we might have a problem, as this could go on for years, but right now we are in the miniscule end of fallout.

You can also fight I-131 with KI pills, and even C-137 can be fought with the Prussian Blue paint pigment (do not try this).

Pred...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I love that map...Dark Purple is either not too bad, or off the fizzucken scale.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Not really conserning reactor 1 but here is a video of the spent fuel pool in reactor 4.
And they still claim they will fix it? Yeah of course.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Reuters is reporting this now to.

Fukushima reactor has a hole, leading to leakage

(Reuters) - One of the reactors at Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant has a hole in its main vessel following a meltdown of fuel rods, leading to a leakage of radioactive water, its operator said on Thursday.

The discovery of the leak provides new insight into the sequence of events that triggered a partial meltdown of the uranium fuel in the No. 1 reactor at Fukushima after the plant was struck by a massive earthquake and tsunami on March 11, officials said.

"There must be a large leak," Junichi Matsumoto, a general manager at the utility told a news conference.
"The fuel pellets likely melted and fell, and in the process may have damaged...the pressure vessel itself and created a hole," he added

The article says that they found that the water level was decreasing after they installed a water pressure gauge earlier this week.

But after repairing a gauge in the No. 1 reactor earlier this week, TEPCO discovered that the water level in the pressure vessel that contains its uranium fuel rods had dropped about 5 meters (16 ft) below the targeted level to cover the fuel under normal operating conditions.

My question is, have they repaired the gauges in the others reactors yet?

Edit - 2 things. Before the news today, was Reactor No.1 the most damaged out of all the reactors? Also, does this mean uranium is leaking into the ocean?
edit on 12-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
What I am saying is that the map that was posted about Xe-133 was wrong, IMO. Xe-133 only has a half life of 5 days, I-131 has a half life of 8 days, and C-137 is around the 30 year mark. Cesium is what we have to worry about amassing in large quantities.

If you check out the source of the map it has the maps of I-131 and C-137 as well and they are in much smaller quantities than Xe-133. The map just seems fishy to me, the isotope with the smallest half life is making it over to North America in the largest quantities?

Perhaps you're not understanding the decay chain and rates of decay for each one ?

Xe-133 is a daughter to I-133 which is a daughter to Te-133 which is a daughter to Sb-133 which is a daughter to Sn-133/134 which is a daughter to In-134/135

In-134/135 (half-life 140 milliseconds)
Sn-133/134 (half-life 1.5 seconds)
Sb-133 (half-life 2.5 minutes)
Te-133 (half-life 12.5 minutes)
I-133 (half-life 21 hours)
Xe-133 (half-life 5.25 days)
Cs-133 (stable)

It's quite easy for Xe-133 to make it over here in large plumes. Especially if fuel rods are cracked (as we now know)... that's why Xe-133 and Xe-133m are the true indicators of atomic explosions and/or ongoing meltdown.

Also note: Xe-133m decays down to Xe-133 too. Xe-133m has a half-life of a little over 2 days.

As for the true actual quantity amounts of those plumes, I'm not sure where NILU is getting its data from... it would have to be directly from TEPCO's database.

Guaranteed TEPCO is regularly measuring all of the bazillion different isotopes and their levels in steady intervals (most of which we 'joe the public' are not privy to) from all three leakage sources (air, water, ground). But whether or not they're allowing official data to be accessable to other groups internationally, I don't know.

But you're right, our biggest worries are the long-lived isotopes cesium-137, strontium-90, and plutonium-239.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by iamhobo

I don't get that map. Xe 133 has a half life of only 5 days and then it becomes cesium 133 which is a stable and non radioactive isotope of cesium so non threatening.

It must be blasted up into the jet stream to get here in less than 8 or so days and I have seen no explosions. So the levels are minuscule, and minute.

Don't panic, I know a few nuclear physicists and they are not.

Ever see that t-shirt "I'm a bomb expert, so if you see me running try an keep up"? Same sort of thing.

Pred...

We have seen smoke rising up because it is heated. Once it does get to the jetstream (and a small amount will), it is only 37 hours to the States.
edit on 12/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Chernobyl fallout map (scroll down the page a little):
www.firefly-dreaming.com...
edit on 12-5-2011 by TETRA.X because: Added info

Did you read the bit that tells you its a HOAX?
That other map notice how it tells us "Potential releases" which means it hasn't even happened

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Yes, all wind currents (just like ocean currents) are linked, connected, and/or touch in one way shape or form all the way up to the jetstream in the northern hemisphere.

That's how our weather patterns move around... the jetstream plays a huge role in those shifts.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

Chernobyl fallout map (scroll down the page a little):
www.firefly-dreaming.com...
edit on 12-5-2011 by TETRA.X because: Added info

Did you read the bit that tells you its a HOAX?
That other map notice how it tells us "Potential releases" which means it hasn't even happened

Well lets hope that it never happens..
2nd

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

How is that map a hoax? Here are 2 others with references if you would like to take a look (same information):

users.owt.com...
maps.grida.no...

There are many more sites (scientific and government) if you google it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
How does the Fukushima radiation compare to the Depleted Uranium radiation that the USA has been putting out in its wars in Afghanistan and Iraq?

According to what I read the amount of DU used was several thousand times more radioactive than the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It burns up as it is fired as a tank shell or a bomb and when it hits its target. Then the uranium gets spread out as dust over vast areas.

I'm wondering how do these two radiation releases relate. It would seem that Fukushima was worse, but I don't know how to quantify this.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

COMPLETELY agree with you on the inaccurate info being posted. I am very worried about the plutonium and cesium than the other radioactive particles. But, having said that, all of this has and is entering into our food supply, air and water. We are NOT in good shape at all. IMO, we are screwed.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Bixxi3

How is that map a hoax? Here are 2 others with references if you would like to take a look (same information):

users.owt.com...
maps.grida.no...

There are many more sites (scientific and government) if you google it.

first off that map in the first post i replied to is a hoax read that link again
And as for these links there for Chernobyl not Fukishima..

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Many credible scientific and government agencies have posted the same info as seen in the map you call a hoax. I posted 2 of the links and there are many many more. Please check them out for yourself.

Also, I know I posted the Chernobyl fallout information. It was deliberate.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

No, I understand the decay rates, I get that, what I am saying is that the map is showing large quantities of Xe133 hitting North America, much larger than C-137 or I-131. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I just do not understand why the smallest half life isotope is the highest concentration.

Pred...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join