It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nibiru or just a Comit? Nasa map showing a HUGE object coming incredibly close to Earth SEP-OCT!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

Oh, for.....the love of science!!

This is an alignment date.

Would you mind explaining just how some arbitrary "alignment" of a few celestial bodies of rock that are MILLIONS of kilometers apart can have any kind of effect?!?

Why do people fall for this hype, and ridiculous, NON-scientific claptrap? Do people have that poor an understanding of physics???

What is "alignment" supposed to mean, anyway? Is it .....gravity? If so, it is ludicrous I hope people will crack open a book and learn about it. There is more gravity affecting the Earth coming from the Moon...because it is close to us...than anything that could influence Earth from over 20,000,000 km away.....something that's only about 10 km in diameter, at most. Say, the size of a small mountain. Heck....the ALPS have more affect on you, than Elenin can!! Because of proximity.....

Any other "alignment" mumbo-jumbo to spew? Do rational, reasoned people still believe this crap?

BTW...."September 27"??? Run the JPL animation again, from the OP on top of Page #1.

Fast-forward, then freeze it on that date...and just LOOK at it!! Not only is "alignment" a myth....it isn't even shown to be any sort of "alignments", at all!

As if any "one day" makes any difference, either....on the huge size and scale of the Solar System we're looking at....

edit on 12 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
www.minorplanetcenter.net...
a lot of information if you know how to understand it because i dont
its worth looking in to

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
no nibru..not real

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Artanis667

"the comet is estimated to be about 80,000 km in diameter."

Calm your family.

That "diameter" refers to the coma....the gaseous "halo" that surrounds comets as they approach their host stars. This gaseous envelope is not much more dense than the vacuum of space.

The actual "chunk" in the center, the real mass (mostly rocky and metallic elements, and ice of many types) is in the range of, at most (estimated) about 10 km

So are you saying an object only 10 km in diameter will develop a corona 80,000 km in diameter? How is there enough matter in that 10 km rock to possibly create such an enormous gaseous cloud without the rock dissolving completely?

And if the comet's corona is "not much more dense than the vacuum of space," and therefore inconsequential, why would its diameter even be included by Wikipedia or any other source when discussing the size of the comet itself? Something doesn't ring true here.
edit on 5/18/2011 by linux2216 because: spelling

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnedsDawg
What I don't understand is why it's coming anywhere near earth in general.

If something is moving in an elliptical orbit, then there needs to be some kind of gravitational force dragging it to each end of the orbit. (As to my understanding of it anyway, I could be wrong)

I don't know why it's going to orbit around earth and then back outside of the solar system. It doesn't make sense.

We're by far the heaviest and densest body in our solar system, why is it coming near us?

It is...It is orbiting the Sun...or another star that we don't know about also. It passes in front of the earths orbit....

Why are we not having special instruments in space to collect this space dust that we will pass through?

Seems easier then chasing the comets

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by linux2216

How is there enough matter in that 10 km rock to possibly create such an enormous gaseous cloud without the rock dissolving completely?

The actual coma ('corona', if you prefer) and the 'tail', for that matter, are VERY nebulous ..... on Earth, if you trapped a sample, they wold resemble some of the best laboratory vacuums we can achieve.

I don't have the specific numbers to hand, you can research this online, though. But, using the numbers of atoms per cubic meter as a guide....look that up. The numbers of atoms, or molecules per cubic meter surrounding a comet are miniscule .... but, in aggregate the sheer numbers of them will reflect sunlight, and that is what you see.....

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by linux2216
So are you saying an object only 10 km in diameter will develop a corona 80,000 km in diameter?

Can be even larger...

The Great Comet of 1811 was thought to have had an exceptionally
large coma, perhaps reaching over 1 million miles across—fifty
percent larger than the Sun.[2]
The comet's nucleus was later estimated at 30–40 km in diameter

wiki

When NASA say that comet Elenin is kinda wimpy, they really mean it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join