Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Nibiru or just a Comit? Nasa map showing a HUGE object coming incredibly close to Earth SEP-OCT!

page: 1
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Ok, I just started looking into this by the suggestion of a family member. I want to show this here because from what I can see, wether you belive in Nibiru or not, an enormous object is going to come closer to Earth than any other planet, starting late September, peaking in October 2011.

Take a look at this
Nasa orbital diagram

It should start off on todays date and you have a tool at the bottom to go 1 day (or other intervals) ahead. Look around late September and through October. The main object you're looking at is c 2010 x1 elenin. Now, in and of its self, it's not much. You look up the name and read its a comit observed by a russian astronomer. But look at the size, "the comet is estimated to be about 80,000 km in diameter." - Wikipedia.

I didn't know how large that was until I looked for the diameter of Earth. Its estimated size
"The diameter of the Earth is 12,742 km"

So its estimated this thing is many times larger then Earth, its going to be closer to the Earth then any planet has been, its coming very soon and I haven't heard any news on this.

*Edit* I decided to check how long it would be before c/2010 x1 Elenin came around again so I fast fowarded by years. It stopped at year 2200 and the body wasn't even close to half way of one side a revolution.

I'm also seeing that the only bigger objects are Saturn and Jupiter, but not by much.



edit on 12-5-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)
edit on 12-5-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)




posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667
 



"the comet is estimated to be about 80,000 km in diameter."


Calm your family.

That "diameter" refers to the coma....the gaseous "halo" that surrounds comets as they approach their host stars. This gaseous envelope is not much more dense than the vacuum of space.

The actual "chunk" in the center, the real mass (mostly rocky and metallic elements, and ice of many types) is in the range of, at most (estimated) about 10 km.

Further more, when you use that JPL JAVA applet animation....ZOOM in for better scale, as the comet finishes perihelion, and begins to exit the Solar System. Move the other slider, you can see it from many angles too.

Look at the numbers, showing distance from Earth. It never gets much closer than VENUS at its closest approach.....



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

The discoverer, Leonid Elenin, estimates that the comet nucleus is 3–4 km in diameter.[As of April 2011, the comet is around magnitude 15 (roughly the brightness of Pluto), and the coma (expanding tenuous dust atmosphere) of the comet is estimated to be about 80,000 km in diameter.


Thats from wikipedia. It's just the stuff surrounding it as it expels tons of ice/other fun space stuff.



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667
 


I do believe zecharia sitchin describe Nibiru as being much bigger than earth. I'll get back to you on that though



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Um are you sure? Looks to me like it comes A LOT closer than that actually... Check the figures (to Weedwacker)
edit on 12-5-2011 by RenegadeScholar because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667
 


as far as i've heard, elenin is only like 4 km across

if wikipedia is the only source for 80,000 km, then i say WAY false

plus, if it was that big, there would be incontrovertible evidence



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
Ok, I just started looking into this by the suggestion of a family member. I want to show this here because from what I can see, wether you belive in Nibiru or not, an enormous object is going to come closer to Earth than any other planet, starting late September, peaking in October 2011.

Take a look at this
Nasa orbital diagram

It should start off on todays date and you have a tool at the bottom to go 1 day (or other intervals) ahead. Look around late September and through October. The main object you're looking at is c 2010 x1 elenin. Now, in and of its self, it's not much. You look up the name and read its a comit observed by a russian astronomer. But look at the size, "the comet is estimated to be about 80,000 km in diameter." - Wikipedia.

I didn't know how large that was until I looked for the diameter of Earth. Its estimated size
"The diameter of the Earth is 12,742 km"

So its estimated this thing is many times larger then Earth, its going to be closer to the Earth then any planet has been, its coming very soon and I haven't heard any news on this.

*Edit* I decided to check how long it would be before c/2010 x1 Elenin came around again so I fast fowarded by years. It stopped at year 2200 and the body wasn't even close to half way of one side a revolution.

I'm also seeing that the only bigger objects are Saturn and Jupiter, but not by much.



edit on 12-5-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)
edit on 12-5-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)


Did you get hired as a professional fear-mongerer or just decided to do it yourself?

If you are going to use wikipedia as a reference...don't take half of the text and bend it to scare people.

The following is the full text instead of a 80,000km diameter comet striking Earth.

At the time of discovery Elenin had an apparent magnitude of 19.5,[2] making it about 150,000 times fainter than the naked eye magnitude of 6.5.[5] The discoverer, Leonid Elenin, estimates that the comet nucleus is 3–4 km in diameter.[6] As of April 2011, the comet is around magnitude 15 (roughly the brightness of Pluto), and the coma (expanding tenuous dust atmosphere) of the comet is estimated to be about 80,000 km in diameter.[7]



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
What I don't understand is why it's coming anywhere near earth in general.

If something is moving in an elliptical orbit, then there needs to be some kind of gravitational force dragging it to each end of the orbit. (As to my understanding of it anyway, I could be wrong)

I don't know why it's going to orbit around earth and then back outside of the solar system. It doesn't make sense.

We're by far the heaviest and densest body in our solar system, why is it coming near us?



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
A couple of points...
- there are currently 34 billion threads running on ATS about comet Elenin.
- if you trust NASA, then you've just proven to yourself that the comet will miss Earth.
- if you dont trust NASA, then you cant use their web page as evidence.

- as has just been posted, the comet itself is small, the gaseous coma is large. This is the way it is for comets, normal, and comet Elenin is a normal comet.
- lots of amateur astronomers can see this comet through their backyard telescopes right now, and it is in the expected place at the expected brightness.
- a lot of people are going to be very dissapointed when they see for themself it is in the proper place and will miss earth.
- it wont stop similar Nibiru doomsday threads from appearing after comet Elenin has come and gone. People dont learn from failed doomsday predictions. Theres always another one "real soon now"



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Ohhhhhh, ok, im sorry, misread that... jumping to conclusions -_-"

I see, it does say the coma on wikipedia, didn't know what that was. jumped the gun on that one

Are there more comits that are in orbit or is this the only one? I just find it incredibly weird that there's a comit that has the same kind of orbit Nibiru would have



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar
 


Closest approach, estimated from the JPL simulation, is 0.232 AU, on October 17. Look at the orbital paths of Venus and Earth. When they get closest.....well, it's just about the same.....the difference is minor....but, the comet is STILL a significant distance away.....within fractions of an AU the distance of Venus.

Also, in October, look at the SIDE view! The comet is above the plane of the ecliptic !!

Here...more exact details:


The closest possible opposition between Earth and Venus is 38 million kilometers (23.7 million miles).


www.universetoday.com...


Now....using an average 93,000,000 miles as one AU.....0.232 X 93 Million = 21,576,000 miles.

So.....the comet is a tiny bit closer than Venus.....but, two million miles closer is still not a big deal. That's about eight times the distance to our Moon......
edit on 12 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SnedsDawg
why is it coming near us?



The comet is orbiting the sun (either eliptical or parabolic orbit)
The earth is orbiting the sun.

By chance alone, the comet will at some point be within about 20 million km of earth. I doubt earth will have any measurable effect on the comets orbit. At all.



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012
 


Im sorry if I came across alarming, I'm wasnt thinking at all that it would destroy Earth, I just thought it was weird such a big object (what I thought, as I can see its no where that size) would have been coming so close.

As I said before, I don't know much about Nibiru theories, looked into it a little and decided it would show up if its real. I thought that this might have been what I know of Nibiru to be, which isn't much.

*Edit* I foolishly jumped the gun on this one and didn't search past the front page, sorry about that guys
edit on 12-5-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SnedsDawg
 


That's a good question. All this talk about the Oort cloud makes me think we actually do have a binary star, really far way. The comets orbit both solar systems. It would explain the duration between comet events and the trajectory angles we are all use to seeing.



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I have not run the applet recently (and cannot currently as I'm typing this from my iPhone) but when I last ran it, I swore on or about Oct. 16th.... (closest approach) that it was showing to be closer to Earth than the moon is....putting it between the Earth and the moon. The thread that brought me to the applet was one where the OP had a good friend at NASA saying that the ISS was either needing to be evacuated or moved due to a potential impact with either the comet itself or it's dust/fragments/tail.

Why would that need to be done if it's to be no closer than Venus? I ask only as reference to the information above.

Just sayin'....not fearin'.....we'll find out in a few months.



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
Are there more comits that are in orbit or is this the only one? I just find it incredibly weird that there's a comit that has the same kind of orbit Nibiru would have



Many hundreds of comets.
At any time, on any random day, if you're an amateir astronomer with a big backyard telescope you can see a few.

Given that Nibiru is a completely fictitious entity with no evidence that it even exists, its kinda hard to say whether comet Elenin's orbit is the same. The orbit that comet elenin does have is also quite normal and boringly common.



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SnedsDawg
What I don't understand is why it's coming anywhere near earth in general.

If something is moving in an elliptical orbit, then there needs to be some kind of gravitational force dragging it to each end of the orbit. (As to my understanding of it anyway, I could be wrong)

I don't know why it's going to orbit around earth and then back outside of the solar system. It doesn't make sense.

We're by far the heaviest and densest body in our solar system, why is it coming near us?


It doesn't make sense because that's not what's going to happen. Elenin isn't going to orbit around the earth.
Earth isn't the heaviest and densest body in our solar system.
I really think conceptual physics classes should be mandatory in all high schools.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667
 


is it just me or I see an alignment today?



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Interesting you mention an alignment today...there was an earthquake in Spain. The fearmongers do stipulate that alignment causes earthquakes. Coincidence?



posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667
 


I feel the direction of your thread is correct. There is a big problem here irrespective of the "numbers".

Next date to be concerned about is Sept. 27, 2011. This is an alignment date. Don't be swayed too much by the people who endlessly post about more common planetary alignments. The one that counts is one that includes Elenin.





new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join